Landscape architect / Landscape engineer

This page was last modified on 21-06-2017

In order to operate as a landscape architect or landscape engineer, business managers must hold a business permit.

The business permit is granted to the business (either the business executive operating under his own name, or the company he runs) provided:

  • the business executive meets the legal requirements in terms of qualification and professional integrity;
  • the business has a fixed physical establishment in Luxembourg (no so-called 'letterbox companies').

Compliance with these provisions is verified by the Directorate for SMEs and Entrepreneurship at the time the application for a business permit is submitted.

After the business permit has been obtained and depending on the legal business structure chosen, the establishment has to proceed with various registrations/affiliations before it can begin its activity.

Landscape architects/engineers who are established abroad (on the territory of the Swiss Confederation or in a country of the European Economic Area) may provide temporary and occasional services in Luxembourg without business permit and without giving prior notification to the General Directorate for SMEs and Entrepreneurship.

They are nevertheless required to comply with all the rules of the profession, in particular ethical requirements, which are in force in Luxembourg.

Forms / Online services

Carry out your procedure:

Who is concerned

The profession of landscape architect/engineer consists in researching and providing for:

  • the planning;
  • the design;
  • the management;
  • the conservation;
  • and the protection of the environment outside built-up areas.

All professionals holding a business permit as architects can also work as landscape architects and interior architects.

Salaried workers or civil servants do not need a business permit in order to work as landscape architects/engineers for their employer/administration.


To prove that they are qualified to work as landscape architects or landscape engineers, applicant musts have a master's degree in architecture or landscape engineering or equivalent (issued by an institution of higher education recognized by the State in which the establishment is located and entered in the register of certificates).

How to proceed

Business permit application in Luxembourg

Documentary proof of qualification

Applicants may work as landscape architects/engineers in Luxembourg if the profession is regulated in their country of origin and if they are entitled to exercise it.

Applicants must provide the General Directorate for SMEs and Entrepreneurship of the Ministry of the Economy with a certificate from a competent authority in his country of origin that certifies their access to the profession.

The landscape architect/engineer must be entitled to use the academic title of architect before a business permit can be issued. To this end architects must submit their professional qualifications to the register of certificates.

Graduates are therefore requested to check with the competent authorities in the country in which they received their academic qualification if there are any additional conditions that may apply to entering the profession.

Specificities of BENELUX university diplomas

These diplomas are recognised automatically (in terms of their inscription into the register of certificates) in all 3 BENELUX countries, provided that they have been delivered by an institution that is recognised in the country in which the diploma has been issued.

These diplomas therefore do not need to be inscribed in the register of certificates in Luxembourg.

However, automatic recognition is limited to the following degrees:

  • for the Flemish community of Belgium: the "graad van bachelor" and the "graad van master";
  • for the francophone community of Belgium: the "grade académique de bachelier" and the "grade académique de master";
  • for the germanophone community of Belgium: the "Diplom Master" and, if applicable, a master's degree from the germanophone community of Belgium;
  • for the Netherlands: the "getuigschrift bachelor" and the "getuigschrift master".

Documents attesting to professional integrity

In order to provide proof of professional integrity, applicants must attach the following to their business permit application:

  • applicants residing in Luxembourg for more than 10 years:
  • applicants who do not reside in Luxembourg or have been residing in the country for less than 10 years:
    • an affidavit (sworn statement);
    • a notarised declaration providing information on possible bankruptcies in the past ("déclaration de non-faillite");
    • an extract from the criminal records or equivalent issued by the country or countries in which the applicant has resided during the 10 years prior to the application.

Other documents to be submitted with the application

The following documents must also be attached to the business permit application:

  • for citizens of Luxembourg, the European Union, or the European Economic Area (Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, Switzerland):
    • a copy of the applicant's ID card or passport;
  • for citizens of other countries:
    • a written confirmation from the minister in charge of immigration that the applicant meets all requirements for obtaining the requested residence permit, with the exception of the recognition of professional qualifications necessary for the profession of architect;
  • proof of payment of stamp duty (droit de chancellerie), in the form of:
    • either a tax stamp, value EUR 24, purchased at the Indirect Tax Authority (AED) ;
    • or the proof of payment of EUR 24 into the IBAN account LU09 1111 7026 5281 0000, BIC code: CCPLLULL of the Diekirch Revenue Office, with the following communication: 'autorisation de commerce';
  • in the event of an application on behalf of a business (legal person), the company's articles of association which have been filed with the Trade and Companies Register.

In the event of an online application for a business permit via MyGuichet (with a Luxtrust electronic ID), the system will automatically generate the list of supporting documents to be attached to the application, which may vary depending on the data entered by the applicant.

Executives who run their business as a sole proprietorship can collect their business permit at the Joint Social Security Centre (CCSS).

Executives who run their business as a company (partnership / capital company) will receive their business permit by post.

Insurance and registration with the OAI

After obtaining the business permit, executives must:

Registrations/affiliations depending on the legal form of the company

Landscape architects/engineers must complete a number of administrative procedures that depend on the legal form chosen for their company.

Sole proprietorship

In the case of a sole proprietorship, the executive has to:

Partnerships (SENC, SECS)

In the case of a partnership (SECS, SENC), executives have to:

Capital companies (SA, SARL, SECA, SE)

In the case of a capital company (SA, SARL, SECA, SE), the business managers must:

Temporary service provision in Luxembourg

Landscape architects/engineers established abroad (in the Swiss confederation or in a country of the European Economic Area) may freely offer services in Luxembourg. There is no need for a business authorisation or a specific notification to the Ministry of the Economy.

However, when coming to Luxembourg, service providers are subject to rules of professional, regulatory or administrative conduct directly related to the professional qualifications that are in force in Luxembourg, along with the related disciplinary provisions applicable for professionals in Luxembourg.

Landscape architects/engineers can contact the Order of Architects and Consulting Engineers (OAI) for further information.

They also need to check if their insurance in their country of origin covers all legal and contractual liabilities incurred in Luxembourg and, if necessary, adapt their insurance coverage or contract specific liability insurance covering their activities as well as those of their employees.

Who to contact

Ministry of the Economy

B.P. 535 - L-2937 - Luxembourg
Phone: (+352) 247-74700
Fax: (+352) 247-74701

Opening hours
The telephone helpline is open Monday to Friday, from 13.00 to 17.00 (not on public holidays).
6, boulevard Grande-Duchesse Charlotte
Forum da Vinci
L-1330 - Luxembourg
Phone: (+352) 42 24 06
Fax: (+352) 42 24 07

Opening hours
Monday to Friday from 09.00 - 12.00 and 14.00 - 16.00