Town and country planner

Last update

In order to operate as an independent town and country planner (urbaniste/aménageur), business managers must hold a business permit.

The business permit is granted to the business (either the business manager operating under their own name, or the company they run) provided that:

  • the business executive meets the legal requirements in terms of qualification and professional integrity;
  • the business has a fixed physical establishment in Luxembourg (no so-called 'letterbox companies').

The fulfilment of the conditions for access to the profession is checked by the General Directorate for Small and Medium-Sized Enterprises at the time the business permit application is submitted.

Depending on the legal form chosen, the applicant must proceed with different registrations/affiliations before starting their activity.

Town and country planners established abroad (in the Swiss confederation or a country of the European Economic Area) may provide temporary and occasional services in Luxembourg.

In the context of public procurement contracts, there are specific hourly reference rates (French, Pdf, 96 Kb) for architectural and engineering work for the public sector.

Who is concerned?

The activities of town and country planners include:

  • developing plans for the complete, coherent and integrated organisation of territories and natural rural or urban areas in accordance with the general interest and the search for territorial balance;
  • helping communes, territorial entities and administrations to elaborate general development plans (PAG) and special development plans (PAP) or any other instrument for land use and urban planning.

Salaried workers or civil servants do not need a business permit in order to work as town or country planner for their employer or administration.


The applicant must have:

  • a Master's degree issued by a higher education establishment recognised by the State in which the establishment is located and registered in the register of certificates:
    • either in urban planning or land use planning or equivalent;
    • in another similar area related to land use planning or equivalent, complemented by a training of at least one year, specifically in the areas of urban planning or land use planning;
  • or 2 years of practical professional experience with a professional town and country planner after the successful completion of the degree.

Preliminary steps

Entry into the register of certificates

In order to establish the level of the foreign diploma, the Minister of the Economy may require the applicant to have their diplomas registered in the register of certificates.

Specificities of BENELUX university diplomas

These diplomas are recognised automatically (in terms of their registration in the register of certificates) in all 3 BENELUX countries, provided that they have been issued by an establishment that is recognised in the country in which the diploma was obtained.

These diplomas therefore do not need to be recorded in the register of certificates in Luxembourg.

However, automatic recognition is limited to the following degrees:

  • for the Flemish community of Belgium: the 'graad van bachelor' and the 'graad van master';
  • for the francophone community of Belgium: the 'grade académique de bachelier' and the 'grade académique de master';
  • for the germanophone community of Belgium: the 'Diplom Master' and, if applicable, a masters' degree from the germanophone community of Belgium;
  • for the Netherlands: the 'getuigschrift bachelor' and the 'getuigschrift master'.

In the absence of such a diploma, the applicant needs to request a confirmation that their diploma is officially recognised in the BENELUX country where it was awarded.


The stamp duty for the issue of a business permit amounts to EUR 50.

If the establishment is moving to another address, the applicant must notify this, free of charge, to the General Directorate for Small and Medium-Sized Enterprises. In this case, the applicant will receive a new business permit free of charge.

How to proceed

Filing an application

The applicant can submit their application for a business permit in 2 ways:

  • by applying in person for a business permit online via, using a LuxTrust product.
    The system determines which supporting documents need to be attached to the application depending on the information entered by the applicant;
  • by sending the business permit application by postal mail to the General Directorate for Small and Medium-Sized Enterprises.

Anyone can get help with their business permit application by:

Supporting documents

Documentary proof of qualification

The applicant must also submit:

  • a copy of:
    • their Master's degree diploma in urban or land use planning; or
    • its equivalent as recognised by the country where the higher education establishment granting the title is established;
  • a copy of the ministerial order of registration in the register of certificates, if requested;
  • a certificate (EC certificate of experience or equivalent) delivered by the competent authority or body of the country of origin (generally a professional association) in case of prior professional activity in another EU Member State;
  • a certificate of affiliation with the Joint Social Security Centre, in case of professional practice in Luxembourg.

Documents attesting to professional integrity

If the applicant has been residing in Luxembourg for more than 10 years, they must demonstrate their professional integrity by:

If the applicant is a non-resident or has been a resident in Luxembourg for less than 10 years, they must demonstrate their professional integrity by providing:

  • a declaration of honour concerning any management positions held in businesses during the 3 years prior to the application;
  • a declaration of non-bankruptcy made before a notary;
  • an extract from the criminal record no. 3 or equivalent issued by the country or countries in which the applicant has resided during the 10 years prior to the application;
  • an extract from the Luxembourg criminal record (record no 3) if the person is already working as a salaried worker or carrying out a self-employed activity in Luxembourg.

This sworn declaration must state that the applicant has not been involved in the bankruptcy of a business in their own name nor in the bankruptcy of a company.

Failing this, an affidavit (sworn statement) must be provided.

All attached documents must be less than 3 months old.

Other documents to be submitted with the application

The applicant must also attach the following documents to their application:

  • for citizens of Luxembourg, the European Union, or the European Economic Area (Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway) or Switzerland: a copy of their ID card or passport;
  • for citizens of third countries: a written confirmation from the Minister responsible for Immigration that the applicant meets all the conditions for obtaining the residence permit applied for;
  • proof of payment of stamp duty (droit de chancellerie), in the form of:
    • either a tax stamp, value EUR 50, purchased at the Registration Duties, Estates and VAT Authority (AED);
    • or the proof of payment of EUR 50 into the IBAN account LU76 0019 5955 4404 7000, BIC code: BCEELULL of the Diekirch Revenue Office, with the following communication: 'autorisation de commerce';

In the event of an online application for a business permit via (with a LuxTrust product), the system will automatically generate the list of supporting documents to be attached to the application, which may vary depending on the data entered by the applicant.

It should be noted that for applications submitted in the context of a business set up in the form of an SARL-S, the applicant must forward the draft constitutional documents of the SARL-S to the Ministry of the Economy.

Application processing time

Applications will usually be processed within 3 months from the receipt of the complete application. The absence of a response before the end of the 3-month period is equivalent to a tacit authorisation.


Applicants whose business permit application has been denied by the Minister may, within the legal deadlines:

Insurance and registration with the OAI

After obtaining the business permit, the business manager must:

  • take out a specific civil liability insurance which covers their activity, as well as their employees' activities;
  • register with the OAI (see registration procedure).

Registrations/affiliations depending on the legal form of the company

Sole proprietorship

After obtaining a business permit, the head of a sole proprietorship must:

Partnerships (SCS, SENC)

After obtaining a business permit, the executive(s) of a partnership (SCS, SENC) must:

Capital companies (SA, SARL, SCA, SE)

After obtaining a business permit, the executives(s) of a capital company (SA, SARL, SCA, SE) must:

Simplified limited liability company(SARL-S)

After obtaining a non-definitive copy of the establishment permit, the manager(s) of a simplified limited liability company (SARL-S) must:

It should be noted that managers of an SARL-S do not need to incorporate their company before a notary. A private deed will suffice.

Providing temporary services in Luxembourg

Accountants legally established abroad (in the Swiss confederation or in a country of the European Economic Area) may freely offer their services in Luxembourg. There is no need for a business permit or a specific notification to the Ministry of the Economy.

However, when active in Luxembourg, the service provider is subject to the national rules of professional, regulatory or administrative conduct directly related to their professional qualifications. The service provider is also subject to the disciplinary provisions that apply to Luxembourg professionals.

Also, service providers must inform the Order of Architects and Consulting Engineers (OAI) of their presence in order to register on the list of occasional service providers in Luxembourg.

If the town and country planner, as a self-employed professional:

Obligations of all professionals

Each professional must comply with the following throughout their existence:

  • all requirements with respect to obtaining a business permit;
  • all laws and regulations with respect to business management.


Professionals without a business permit run the risk of criminal sanctions (imprisonment and fines) and the temporary closure of the establishment.

Online services and forms

Who to contact

General Directorate for Small and Medium-Sized Enterprises (Department for Authorisations of Establishment)

Order of Architects and Consulting Engineers

  • Order of Architects and Consulting Engineers

    6, boulevard Grande-Duchesse Charlotte L-1330 Luxembourg Luxembourg
    Email address:
    Closed ⋅ Opens at 9.00
    9.00 to 12.00, 14.00 to 16.00
    9.00 to 12.00, 14.00 to 16.00
    9.00 to 12.00, 14.00 to 16.00
    9.00 to 12.00, 14.00 to 16.00
    9.00 to 12.00, 14.00 to 16.00
    Monday to Friday from 09.00 - 12.00 and 14.00 - 16.00

Related procedures and links

Your opinion matters to us

Tell us what you think of this page. You can leave us your feedback on how to improve this page. You will not receive a reply to your feedback. Please use the contact form for any specific questions you might have.

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are mandatory.

Did you find what you were looking for?*
How would you rate this page?*
Very poor
Very good

Leave a comment to help us improve this page. Do not provide any personal information such as your email address, name, telephone number, etc.


Please rate this page

Your opinion has been submitted successfully!

Thank you for your contribution. If you need help or have any questions, please use the contact form.

Would you like to help us make digital public services more user-friendly by submitting your suggestions for improvement?

Then visit Zesumme Vereinfachen, the online participation platform dedicated to administrative simplification in Luxembourg.

Let's simplify things together

An error occurred

Oops, an error has been detected during your form processing.