All organisations that wish to obtain an approved (flight) training organisation (ATO) certificate or a declared (flight) training organisation (DTO) certificate must apply to the Directorate of Civil Aviation (Direction de l'Aviation Civile – DAC).
Who is concerned
All organisations that wish to:
- obtain an ATO certificate; or
- be declared a DTO.
To be eligible to obtain an ATO certificate in Luxembourg, or to file a declaration as a DTO, organisations must have their permanent establishment in Luxembourg.
For approval of an ATO or approval of an additional course, organisations applying for the certificate must pay a tax and a fee by wire transfer to the bank account of ALSA S.A., and the transfer must mention the appropriate reference information as listed in the table below.
Bank account: IBAN LU77 0019 3655 1997 3000 (Swift Code: BCEELULL)
Re: "Reference: xx" (mentioning the reference of the procedure as listed in the table below)
The amount of the fee for the approval and ongoing annual oversight of an ATO is determined based on time spent processing and analysing the applicant's case within the limits set forth in the table below.
For the approval of an additional course, a EUR 106 tax, plus a fee based on the amount of time spent, will be charged.
Before the application is filed, an advance payment is due. This payment corresponds to half of the minimum amount due. The payment is non-refundable and will be put towards the total fee.
Proof of payment must be enclosed with the application.
|Procedure||Reference||Amount due (in EUR)|
|Tax for ATO procedures||20(1)||106|
|Fee for initial approval – Non-complex approved training organisation||20(1)al.2-1||605 – 3,000|
|Fee for initial approval – Complex approved training organisation||20(1)al.2-2||6,050 – 18,000|
|Fee for ongoing annual oversight – Non-complex approved training organisation||20(2)al.1-1||605 – 3,000|
|Fee for ongoing annual oversight – Complex approved training organisation||20(2)al.1-2||6,050 – 14,400|
|Fee for approval of an additional course||20(3)al.1||106|
|Fee for approval of an additional course||20(3)al.2||960 – 4,800|
How to proceed
Obtaining an approved training organisation (ATO) certificate
To obtain an ATO certificate, interested organisations must submit an application file to the DAC, along with the following:
- Administrative section:
- Application form DAC-LIC 501-01, together with the corresponding documents;
- The training organisation's articles of association;
- Where applicable, a copy of the certificate of registration in the Trade and Companies Register (RCS);
- Where applicable, the permit to use an aerodrome or a training area;
- A full list of the training organisation's staff, listing their duties, and a separate application for each person who belongs to the organisation, including a detailed curriculum vitae for each of them (see ORA.GEN.200, ORA.GEN.210, ORA.ATO.110 and ORA.ATO.210);
- The ATO's organisation chart and, where applicable, that of the organisation to which the ATO belongs;
- Insurance certificate(s);
- Annotated floor plan of the facilities;
- Financial documentation;
- Confirmation by a chartered accountant or auditor that the organisation possesses sufficient financial resources to carry out the planned activities;
- The operating manual (OM);
- The organisation management manual (OMM);
- Training manual(s) (TM).
Filing a declaration as a declared training organisation (DTO)
To file a declaration as a DTO, the organisation must submit the following to the DAC:
- Name of the DTO;
- The address and contact details of the DTO's permanent establishment and, where applicable, those of any other site operated by the DTO;
- Names, contact details and CVs of the following persons:
- The DTO's representative;
- The DTO's training manager; and
- All general training administrators, if required by DTO.GEN.250 (b) (1);
- The type of training provided, pursuant to DTO.GEN.110, at each aerodrome and/or operating site;
- A list of all aircraft and FSTDs used for training purposes, where applicable;
- The scheduled start date of the training;
- A declaration confirming that the DTO has a safety policy and will implement that policy for all training activities covered by the declaration, pursuant to DTO.GEN.210 (a) (1) (ii);
- A declaration confirming that, for all training activities covered by the declaration, the DTO complies with, and will continue to comply with, all of the essential requirements set forth in Annex IV of Regulation (EU) 2018/1139, the requirements provided for in Annex I (Part-FCL) and Annex VIII (Part-DTO) of Commission Regulation (EU) 1178/2011, and the requirements provided for in Annex III (Part-BFCL) of Commission Regulation (UE) 2018/395 and Annex III (Part-SFCL) of Commission Implementing Regulation (EU) 2018/1976.
The declaration and any subsequent changes thereto must be filed using form DAC-LIC 502-01.
When filing their declaration with the DAC, the DTO must submit the training programme(s) that it uses or intends to use to provide the training.
If the DTO wishes to organise standardisation and/or refresher courses for examiners, they must submit for approval the respective training program(s) with the declaration.
The applicable procedures are available on request from the DAC's Licenses Department (Département des Licences).
Forms / Online services
Who to contact
Directorate of Civil Aviation4, rue Lou Hemmer
Postal address :
Postbox 283 L-2012 Luxembourg
Phone : (+352) 247 74 900Fax : (+352) 46 77 90Monday to Friday from 8.30 to 12.00 and from 13.00 to 17.00