Last update 29.01.2021
This procedure is for entities seeking certification as an organisation offering one or several types of training courses for air traffic controllers (Air Traffic Control Officers - ATCO).
Applications for air traffic controller training organisation certification must be sent to the Directorate of Civil Aviation (Direction de l’Aviation Civile – DAC).
Who is concerned
Any organisation certified by the DAC to provide one or several types of training courses for air traffic controllers.
Applications for certification must reach the DAC at least 6 months before the training is scheduled to begin.
How to proceed
Filing an application
Applications for training organisation certification must be filed with the DAC using form DAC-NSA Form 713-1.
Applications must include the following details:
- the applicant's full name and address;
- the address(es) of the training venue(s), including, where relevant, the list of ATC units, if different to the applicant's address;
- the full names and contact details of:
- the manager in charge of training;
- the director of the training organisation, if different to the manager in charge of training;
- the individual(s) appointed as the point(s) of contact for dealings with the competent authorities;
- the date on which the training provision is scheduled to begin, or to be amended;
- a list of the types of courses to be offered, with at least one training programme for each type of course;
- the declaration of compliance with applicable requirements, which must be signed by the manager in charge of training. By signing, they certify the organisation's full and ongoing compliance with applicable requirements;
- management system-related procedures;
- the application filing date.
Applicants must provide details of a procedure for managing changes in the training organisation, as provided for in ATCO.OR.B.015 of Regulation (EU) 2015/340.
Application processing time
The DAC will check to ensure that:
- the application for certification is complete;
- the organisation complies with all applicable requirements set forth in Regulations (EU) 2015/340 and (EU) 2018/1139.
The DAC will conduct one or several certification audits.
The DAC will issue an air traffic controller training organisation certificate if:
- the certification audit reveals no Level 1 Findings; and
- for every Level 2 Finding, the applicant and the DAC have agreed on a corrective action plan.
A Level 1 Finding is issued by the DAC in the event of significant non-compliance with regard to 1) applicable requirements as set forth in Regulation (EU) 2018/1139 and Regulation (EU) 2015/340, 2) the training organisation's procedures and manuals, 3) the type(s) of course(s) and/or service(s) provided, or 4) the organisation's certificate(s), where such non-compliance could negatively affect or seriously compromise safety, and/or markedly reduce the quality of the course(s) being provided.
A Level 2 Finding is issued by the DAC in the event of non-compliance with regard to 1) applicable requirements as set forth in Regulation (EU) 2018/1139 and Regulation (EU) 2015/340, 2) the training organisation's procedures and manuals, 3) the type(s) of course(s) and/or service(s) provided, or 4) the organisation's certificate(s), where such non-compliance could negatively affect or compromise safety, and/or reduce the quality of the course(s) being provided.
Duration of validity
The air traffic controller training organisation certificate itself is valid indefinitely.
The training organisation's certification will remain valid as long as:
- the certificate is not surrendered or revoked; and
- the training organisation remains in compliance with the requirements of Regulations (EU) 2018/1139 and (EU) 2015/340, and takes account of the provisions governing the handling of findings in accordance with ATCO.OR.B.030 of that Regulation.
On receiving a notification of findings issued by the DAC in compliance with ATCO.AR.E.015, the training organisation must:
- determine the root cause of the finding; and
- draw up a corrective action plan; and
- demonstrate the implementation of a corrective action plan to the DAC's satisfaction, within the time limit agreed to with the DAC as provided for in ATCO.AR.E.015 of Regulation (EU) 2015/340.
Review of the file
All air traffic controller training organisations are subject to continuous oversight by the DAC, in the form of a tailored annual audit plan communicated to the training organisation in advance.
Forms / Online services
Application form for (re)certification as Training Organisation (DAC Form 713-1)