Anyone wishing to make a parachute jump in Luxembourg from an aircraft must hold a permit. There are special permits for occurrences of force majeure, military exercises, and search and rescue operations.
There is a general permit for parachute jumping done over the Noertrange aerodrome (ELNT).
Who is concerned
Any natural person:
- who holds a parachuting licence;
- who wishes to make a parachute jump:
- in Luxembourg airspace;
- on a landing strip other than the Noertrange aerodrome.
This also applies to organisations that drop parachutists.
The boundaries of the landing strip must be at least 500 metres from a motorway.
The landing strip must have enough open space to allow for safe parachute jumps.
Parachuting near water is prohibited, unless the parachutists are equipped with suitable flotation devices.
The Directorate of Civil Aviation (Direction de l'Aviation Civile – DAC) must receive the permit application for parachute jumping at least 10 working days before the scheduled date.
How to proceed
Filing an application
A written application using form ADM230-1 must be filed with the DAC.
The application must be accompanied by the following documents:
- written authorisation from the commune where the landing strip is located;
- written authorisation from the owner of the landing strip;
- a map or photographs showing the features of the landing strip.
Duration of validity
The permit is valid for the dates and locations specified on the permit.