Rent subsidy

Last update


You can apply for a subsidy to help you finance your rent subject to certain conditions.

The subsidy granted by the Ministry of Housing and Spatial Planning (ministère du Logement et de l’Aménagement du territoire) is intended for helping you rent decent accommodation.

The amount of this aid depends on the composition and income of your household and can vary between EUR 10 and EUR 520 per month.

You must file your application with the Single point of contact for housing assistance (Guichet unique des aides au logement).

The eTracking function for hardcopy (paper) forms is a feature of this process. This option allows users to track the progress of administrative procedures by email and/or by SMS.

Who is concerned?

In order to benefit from the rent subsidy, you must:

  • be of legal age on the date the application is submitted;
  • have a right to stay in Luxembourg for more than 3 months and be listed in the National Registry of Natural Persons.


Conditions relating to the dwelling

The lease agreement must refer to a dwelling:

  • that is located in Luxembourg;
  • that is on the private real estate market;
  • that is not made available by either your father or your mother, your children or a public body (Housing Fund (Fonds du Logement), National Affordable Housing Company (Société nationale des habitations à bon marché - SNHBM), communal administration, social welfare office, non-profit association, etc);
  • the rent of which is set in accordance with applicable legislation on residential leases.

Absence of ownership

Neither yourself nor any other member of your household can be the owner of another dwelling in Luxembourg or abroad.

Dwelling conditions

You must live in the rented home. It must be your main and permanent place of residence.

Rent subsidies are not (or no longer) payable if you move out of your home.

Conditions relating to income

You must have had regular income for at least 3 months at the time of the application.

Your household's net income must be lower than the statutory limit.

the amount of monthly rent (excluding charges) must exceed 25 % of the net monthly income of your household.

Determining the household's income

The income taken into account corresponds to the net income of the calendar year preceding the month as from which the aid is granted. In the event of a change of employer or of an amendment to the employment contract affecting the income or if the household had no professional income during the year in question, the last known income is taken into account and extrapolated over the year.

If the total income to be taken into account includes income originating from remunerated work that was only engaged in for part of the calendar year in question, such income is to be extrapolated over a whole year.

Your household's monthly net income is calculated by taking into account:

  • net income as stipulated in article 10 of the amended income tax law of 4 December 1967, after deduction of social security contributions and actual taxes withheld (e.g. income from paid employment or old-age pension, unemployment benefits, parental leave allowance, REVIS, RPGH, etc.);
  • the maintenance payments received;
  • net accident annuity amounts;
  • gross earnings paid for overtime hours.

Maintenance payments made by you (for example for your children or to a divorced spouse) are deducted from the income.

Income from dependent children is not taken into account.

Social benefits are not taken into account to determine your household's net income, such as:

  • family allowance;
  • back-to-school allowance; and
  • cost-of-living allowance.

Note: the above list is indicative only. The legal and regulatory provisions prevail.


Applications for rent subsidy can be made throughout the year.

How to proceed

Submitting the application

If you wish to benefit from a rent subsidy, you must submit your application to the Single point of contact for housing assistance using a specific form (see 'Online services and forms').

The completed and signed form along with all necessary supporting documents can be submitted to the Single point of contact for housing assistance:

  • by post; or
  • by depositing the form at their offices.

Note: applications submitted electronically (using the email address must be confirmed by postal mail to the administration.

Supporting documents

You must attach the following documents to the application form:

  • a copy of your identity document;
  • a declaration concerning the composition of your household (see form L/A21 under 'Online services and forms'), duly filled in and signed by you;
  • a declaration of honour (see form L92 under 'Online services and forms') signed by yourself declaring that neither yourself nor any member of your household owns another dwelling in Luxembourg or abroad. If the application is made by multiple applicants, you must add an individually signed declaration of honour for each applicant;
  • a copy of the lease contract for residential purposes;
  • documents providing proof of your income and that of the other members of your household;
  • a certificate of affiliation to the Joint Social Security Centre (Centre commun de la sécurité sociale - CCSS) for each member of the household;
  • for third country nationals (including British nationals): a document proving your right to stay in Luxembourg for more than 3 months;
  • a bank account identification document of the account indicated in the subsidy application form;
  • proofs of payment of the rent for the last 3 months.

The ministry reserves the right to request additional documents or information. In such cases, you must send the documents and/or information to the Single point of contact for housing assistance within 3 months. If you fail to reply to the request or if you reply after the deadline, your file will be closed and your request rejected.

Family status

The family status taken into account is the one that exists on the date from which the rent subsidy is granted.

'Dependent child' is taken to mean:

  • any child for whom you receive a family allowance, who lives with you in the home and is registered there;
  • any child up until the age of 27 lives with you in the home is registered there and is co-insured in your health insurance scheme.

Assessment and granting of the aid

The rent subsidy is calculated using the formula provided for by law. The amount of the monthly subsidy varies according to the composition and income of the household.

The household composition taken into account is that which exists on the date from which the monthly aid is granted.

In the event of a positive decision, the subsidy is granted from the date the application was submitted, provided all the conditions were met at that date.

The rent subsidy is transferred monthly (second half of the month) to the bank account you provided on the application form.

Use the rent subsidy simulator to receive an estimate of the amount which may be granted.

Information obligation

You must notify the Single point of contact for housing assistance of any changes to your family status, financial situation or loan repayment schedule, such as:

  • an amendment to the lease contract;
  • moving out of the home for which the application is submitted;
  • a property acquisition, inheritance or donation;
  • a change in the situation of your household (for example: separation or divorce, marriage, moving house, arrival, departure or death of an occupant or child);
  • a change concerning the payment of family allowance or the child/children's health insurance cover;
  • a change of income;
  • a change of employer (for example: start, termination or amendment of the employment contract of a member of your household);

Review of the file

Applications are automatically reviewed every 12 months from the date on which the aid was granted by the Ministry of Housing and Spatial Planning.

If the conditions for continued subsidisation are met, the amount of the aid is reassessed on the basis of the new information. The reassessed aid is granted from the month of the review.

If, during this review, it is found that you have received undue financial aid, you must reimburse the overpayment within one year. You cannot receive a new rent subsidy for another dwelling until you have repaid the unduly received aid.

Note: If you receive a rent subsidy and you leave the rented accommodation, a new application for rent subsidy must be made by the person remaining in the dwelling if said person wishes to continue receiving the aid.


You must reimburse the rent subsidy if:

  • you have made inaccurate or incomplete declarations with a view to the granting or maintenance of the aid;
  • you have failed to inform the Single point of contact for housing assistance of any change in your personal situation which could affect the granting, maintenance, modification or discontinuation of the financial aid.

Refusal of aid

The aid is denied or discontinued if:

  • the home is rented to you by your father, your mother or your children;
  • the amount of the rent (excluding charges) is less than or equal to 25 % of the net monthly income of your household.
  • a member of your household (including you) is the owner of a dwelling;
  • your application contains false or incomplete information;
  • you do not submit all the required documents;
  • one or more conditions for granting the financial aid are not or no longer met;
  • the monthly amount of the aid is less than EUR 10;
  • you sublet all or part of the dwelling.

Combination with other aid

The rent subsidy may be combined with the aid to finance a rental deposit.

Online services and forms

Who to contact

Single point of contact for housing assistance

  • Ministry of Housing and Spatial Planning Single point of contact for housing assistance

    11, rue de Hollerich L-1741 Luxembourg Luxembourg
    (+352) 8002 10 10
    Telephone: Monday to Friday from 8.00 to 16.00
    Email address:
    Open Closes at 12.00
    8.00 to 12.00, 13.30 to 16.00
    8.00 to 12.00, 13.30 to 16.00
    8.00 to 12.00, 13.30 to 16.00
    8.00 to 12.00, 13.30 to 16.00
    Thursdays by appointment only

Related procedures and links



Further information

Legal references

Your opinion matters to us

Tell us what you think of this page. You can leave us your feedback on how to improve this page. You will not receive a reply to your feedback. Please use the contact form for any specific questions you might have.

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are mandatory.

Did you find what you were looking for?*
How would you rate this page?*
Very poor
Very good

Leave a comment to help us improve this page. Do not provide any personal information such as your email address, name, telephone number, etc.


Please rate this page

Your opinion has been submitted successfully!

Thank you for your contribution. If you need help or have any questions, please use the contact form.

Would you like to help us make digital public services more user-friendly by submitting your suggestions for improvement?

Then visit Zesumme Vereinfachen, the online participation platform dedicated to administrative simplification in Luxembourg.

Let's simplify things together

An error occurred

Oops, an error has been detected during your form processing.