Last update 18.10.2018
The aid scheme for SMEs also provides aid to businesses that are taking part in a trade fair or exhibition in Luxembourg for the first time, allowing them to cover the additional costs of renting, setting up and managing their stand.
Who is concerned
This aid is intended for small and medium-sized enterprises (SME) holding a business permit granted by the Generale Directorate - SMEs, Entrepreneurship and the Internal Market (Direction générale - PME, entrepreneuriat et marché intérieur) and which are not active in any excluded activity in accordance with the general terms and conditions applying to aid for SMEs.
The aid is granted within the framework of a first participation in a trade fair.
The costs must relate to the rental, set up and management of an exhibition stand.
The completed application and accompanying documents must be dated, signed and submitted before the planned activity begins.
How to proceed
Filing the application
The Ministry of the Economy makes available a sample application template for the project in question.
The completed application file, dated and signed, together with its annexes, must be sent to the Ministry of the Economy by post or email (see the section Who to contact below).
Applications for aid must include the following information and documents:
- the name and size of the business (any document deemed necessary may be requested for the determination of the size of the business);
- a description of the project, including its start and end dates;
- the location of the project;
- a list of costs of the project;
- the form and the amount of financial aid required for the investment project;
- any other relevant information which would help the ministers in charge to understand the qualities or specificities of the project or programme and its incentive effect (invoices, proofs of payment, bank statements).
The business must grant the Minister of the Economy and the Minister of Finance the authority to verify with the Luxembourg Inland Revenue, the Registration Duties, Estates and VAT Authority and the Joint Social Security Centre that the business has not avoided its tax and social obligations. If not, the business must attach the certificates issued by these administrations providing proof that all tax and social charges have been duly paid.
The payment of financial aid must be requested, on pain of ineligibility, within a period of 5 years from the date of payment of the expense for which aid is requested. The beneficiary of the aid can apply for an extension of this deadline on written request to the Minister of the Economy.
Amount of aid
The aid for a first-time participation in a national trade fair cannot exceed 25 %.
For any investment project, the amount of aid may not be less than EUR 1,000.
The ministers may not grant aid in excess of EUR 100,000 prior to having requested the opinion of a consultative commission The consultative commission can collect any information on the project, the investment or the beneficiary which is deemed useful, it can hear the applicant and demand the presentation of a business plan or equivalent documents, if applicable. It can also seek advice from experts.
Payment of aid
The aid can take the following forms:
- a subsidy;
- a recoverable advance payment;
- interest relief. The aid may be paid out by an intermediary, such as a credit institution or a financial establishment under public law.
Capital subsidies and recoverable advances are paid out after completion of the investment project. However, one or more advance payments may be made along with the investments.
The business and the Minister of the Economy agree together, at the time the aid is granted, on the repayment terms of the recoverable advance payment if the project is successful.
Depending on the general terms and conditions which apply to all types of aid for SMEs, the investment aid:
- may potentially be combined with other types of financial aid;
- may potentially have to be reimbursed and sanctions may be applied.
Forms / Online services
Who to contact
General Directorate - SMEs, Entrepreneurship and the Internal Market (department for support to SMEs)
B.P. 535 - L-2914 Luxembourg
Phone : (+352) 247-84712Fax : (+352) 247-74701