Road-building permit – railroads

Last update

The requirement of a road-building permit (permission de voirie) for the installation of temporary or permanent structures adjacent to the public railway network is aimed at improving the safety of the railway users.

Any natural or legal person planning to carry out development or construction works alongside a railway track must apply for a road-building permit from one of the Regional Services of the National Roads Administration (Administration des ponts et chaussées).

Who is concerned?

A road-building permit for the railway network is required for any construction, planting or other works carried out on property bordering the railway line at a distance of less than 10 metres from the edge of the railway line.

No developments of any kind may be carried out at a distance of less than 2 metres from the edge of the railway line.

The outer edge of the railway line stops at either the edge of the embankment or the outer edge of the ditch. Failing this, the edge shall be considered to be located at 1.5 metres from the outer rail of the railway tracks.

Planned developments outside of this 10 metre limit are not subject to a road-building permit provided that they are carried out in compliance with the authorised procedures.

Specialised intermediaries (engineering offices, architects, etc.) can offer assistance with regard to the formalities to be completed with the administrations.


Preliminary steps

In exceptional cases, it is possible to submit a request for a permit in principle to one of the Regional Services of the National Roads Administration.

Businesses who intend to carry out infrastructure works along public roads, namely works concerning telecommunication, gas, electricity or water networks, etc., can consult the National Road Works Register before submitting their application for a road-building permit.

The register lets a business check if someone else has already planned a project on the same plot of land and hence enables said business to achieve cost reductions by sharing the cost for infrastructure works based on an agreement between 2 or more concerned businesses and other interested parties.

How to proceed

Filing an application

Direct road-building permit

The person concerned must submit their application:

  • either by postal mail using the relevant form (available under 'Online services and forms' below). The form must be sent to the territorially competent Regional Department of the National Roads Administration; or
  • via, through:
    • a private eSpace, if the applicant is a natural person; or
    • a business eSpace, if the applicant is a legal person.

The person submitting the form needs to have:

  • a LuxTrust product; or
  • an electronic identity card (eID).

How to create a business eSpace on

There are 2 possible scenarios:

  1. You are a new user of You must:
    • first register on; and
    • then create a business eSpace.
  2. You already have a private eSpace on You can directly create a business eSpace without having to register again.

Further information as well as tutorials in relation with the business eSpace are available in our dedicated help page.

The applicant will need to specify:

  • their surname, first name, address, telephone number and email address; or
  • in the case of a legal entity: the company name and the address of its registered office;
  • the type of works planned.

Once the application has been sent, applicants will receive an email notification and a message in the 'My messages' section of their private or business eSpace.

Ministerial road-building permit

The person concerned can submit their application by postal mail using the duly completed and signed relevant form (available under 'Online services and forms' below). The form must be sent to the territorially competent Regional Department of the National Roads Administration.

As soon as the application is received, an acknowledgement of receipt indicating the reference number allocated to the application and the name of the person in charge is sent to the applicant.

The competent Regional Service of the National Roads Administration sends a copy of the application to Luxembourg's national railway company (Société Nationale des Chemins de Fer Luxembourgeois - CFL) for their opinion.

Where applicable, any modifications requested by the National Roads Administration must be made to the project.

A 3-month investigation period should be expected.

Supporting documents

Each application for a road-building permit must be accompanied by the following documents:

  • a recent extract from the land register of the parcel of land concerned;
  • a plan of the project (scale of 1:1,000 or 1:500) showing the development or construction works with respect to the railway line: this plan must show the full width of the railway line;
  • where applicable, a longitudinal cross-section of the railway line;
  • an extract from the general development plan (PAG) for planned developments and constructions on the periphery of built-up areas as well as for business park or housing estate projects;
  • where applicable, a plan of the facade facing the railway line and a plan of any other facades with a garage entrance;
  • where applicable, a plan of basements, lower ground floors or other floors where the individual or collective garages are located;
  • for transformation works:
    • either 2 plans, with one showing the current situation before the works and the other showing the situation after the planned transformation;
    • or a plan with the indication of the type of works using the colour code defined in the guide for ministerial road-building permits (Guide d'application pour l'établissement des permissions de voirie ministérielles).

Permit validity

Road-building permits for development works with a definitive purpose are valid for a period of 2 years. Within this period, the beneficiary of the permit must have commenced and terminated the authorised development and construction works.

An extension must be requested no later than 3 months after the end date indicated on the road-building permit in the following cases:

  • the construction work has not yet begun;
  • the construction work is under way but not yet finalised.

Only one extension per road-building permit may be granted.

Related permits

The road-building permit does not release the applicant from having to obtain other permits which may be required, in particular when purchasing land or a building:

Online services and forms

Who to contact

National Roads Administration

Ministry of the Environment, Climate and Biodiversity

2 of 3 bodies shown

Related procedures and links


Creating a business eSpace



Further information

Permissions de voirie

sur le site de l'Administration des ponts et chaussées

Legal references

Your opinion matters to us

Tell us what you think of this page. You can leave us your feedback on how to improve this page. You will not receive a reply to your feedback. Please use the contact form for any specific questions you might have.

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are mandatory.

Did you find what you were looking for?*
How would you rate this page?*
Very poor
Very good

Leave a comment to help us improve this page. Do not provide any personal information such as your email address, name, telephone number, etc.


Please rate this page

Your opinion has been submitted successfully!

Thank you for your contribution. If you need help or have any questions, please use the contact form.

Would you like to help us make digital public services more user-friendly by submitting your suggestions for improvement?

Then visit Zesumme Vereinfachen, the online participation platform dedicated to administrative simplification in Luxembourg.

Let's simplify things together

An error occurred

Oops, an error has been detected during your form processing.