Staying in Luxembourg to find a job or start a business after the research work

Last update

After completing their research work or their mobility, third-country nationals may stay in Luxembourg to seek employment or start a business.

They must then apply for a residence permit for the purposes of job search or business creation, before the expiry of the residence permit as a researcher or the end of the mobility of the researcher in Luxembourg.

Please note that in the case where the researcher leaves Luxembourg at the end of their mobility for research purposes, the residence permit must be applied for in the first EU Member State where the researcher started off.

Who is concerned?

The residence permit for job search or business creation purposes may be requested by:

  • researchers who already have a valid residence permit for researchers in Luxembourg and whose validity has not yet expired;
  • researchers who have a valid and not yet expired residence permit for researchers in their first EU Member State and who are in Luxembourg for their mobility project.


The residence permit for job search or business creation purposes can only be obtained if the third-country researcher has successfully completed their research activities in Luxembourg.


Applications for residence permits for the purpose of a job search or a business creation must be submitted 30 days prior to the expiry of the residence permit for researchers or the end of the mobility period at the latest.


A residence permit can only be issued to a third-country national if said person has paid the issuance fee of EUR 80.

The fee must be paid into the CCPL account no. LU46 1111 2582 2814 0000 (beneficiary: Ministry of Home Affairs, General Department of immigration; communication: residence permit for...).

How to proceed

Submitting the application

The third-country researcher must submit a written application for a residence permit for the purpose of finding employment or starting a business to the General Department of immigration (Direction générale de l’immigration) of the Ministry of Home Affairs.

Supporting documents

They must state their identity (surname(s) and first name(s)), as well as the exact address in their country of residence, and add the following documents to their application:

  • a copy of their valid passport, in its entirety;
  • a recent extract from the criminal record in Luxembourg;
  • proof that they have successfully completed their research work in Luxembourg;
  • proof of comprehensive health insurance valid in Luxembourg (travel insurance);
  • proof that they have sufficient resources to cover living expenses during their stay, and their return trip. Their monthly resources must amount to at least 80 % of the level of the social inclusion income in force in Luxembourg. The following may be used as proof:
    • a certificate of scholarship or student loan stating the amount and its duration; or
    • a bank certificate; or
    • a statement of financial support by a guarantor living in Luxembourg;
  • proof of payment of a fee of EUR 80 on the CCPL bank account IBAN LU46 1111 2582 2814 0000 (beneficiary: Ministry of Home Affairs, General Department of immigration; communication: residence permit for...).
  • where necessary, a power of attorney.

Power of attorney: third-country nationals may mandate a third party (e.g. the research institute) to submit the application in their place. In this case, the agent, with the exception of legal advisers, must provide proof of the power of attorney in the form of a power of attorney duly dated and signed by the applicant, and the signature must be preceded by the handwritten phrase 'bon pour procuration' (valid for power of attorney).

The documents enclosed must be originals or certified true copies (except for the passport where a plain copy will suffice). Should the authenticity of a document be in doubt, the Minister of Immigration can request that the document be authenticated by the appropriate local authority and legalised by the Embassy (or that it bear a Hague Convention apostille).

If the documents are not drawn up in German, French or English, an official translation by a certified translator must be attached.

Application processing time

If the proof that the researcher successfully completed their research is not available at the time the application is submitted, the applicant obtains a receipt which certifies the submission of the application and authorises their stay in the country for a period of 3 months, allowing them time to introduce the proof of successful completion of their research activities.

Once the application file is complete, the General Department of immigration takes its decision within 90 days.

If the information or supporting documents provided are insufficient or incomplete, applicants may be given a reasonable period of time in which to submit any further information required. The 90-day deadline will then be suspended until the required documents or information are received within the set deadline. Should the additional information or documentation fail to be supplied within the deadlines set, the application may be rejected.

If approved, applicants obtain a residence permit for personal reasons with the wording 'recherche d'emploi ou création d'entreprises' (job search or business creation).

Where applicable, the residence permit of the researcher's family member will be renewed for the same period of time.

Validity period

Residence permits for personal reasons containing the wording 'job search or business creation' are valid for a period of 9 months.

Before the expiry of their residence permit for job search or business creation purposes, applicants must submit an application for an authorisation to stay:

The salaried or self-employed work must be in relation with their academic background.

Should applicants return to their country of origin without having applied for an authorisation to stay prior to the expiry date of their residence permit for researchers or for mobility work, they will become subject to the standard immigration rules when they return to Luxembourg in order to carry out salaried or self-employed work.

Once a residence permit has been issued

In principle, third-country nationals are no longer obliged to appear before the administration of their commune of residence to make a declaration of arrival, insofar as they are already resident in Luxembourg.

If, however, they move house during the course of the procedure, they will have to file a declaration of arrival in the new commune of residence.

Online services and forms

Who to contact

General Department of immigration - Department for foreigners

Immigration Directorate - Department for Foreigners

Related procedures and links

Your opinion matters to us

Tell us what you think of this page. You can leave us your feedback on how to improve this page. You will not receive a reply to your feedback. Please use the contact form for any specific questions you might have.

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are mandatory.

Did you find what you were looking for?*
How would you rate this page?*
Very poor
Very good

Leave a comment to help us improve this page. Do not provide any personal information such as your email address, name, telephone number, etc.


Please rate this page

Your opinion has been submitted successfully!

Thank you for your contribution. If you need help or have any questions, please use the contact form.

Would you like to help us make digital public services more user-friendly by submitting your suggestions for improvement?

Then visit Zesumme Vereinfachen, the online participation platform dedicated to administrative simplification in Luxembourg.

Let's simplify things together

An error occurred

Oops, an error has been detected during your form processing.