The European strategy regarding employment programmes aims to:
- promote lifelong learning;
- encourage the capacity to adapt for businesses and their workers;
- fight any form of discrimination on the labour market.
In this context, the Luxembourg government has decided to put in place a mechanism with subsidies for Luxembourg language courses in order to financially accompany the efforts made in terms of integration of foreigners through the learning of Luxembourgish.
Who is concerned
All businesses in the private sector legally established in Luxembourg can apply for subsidies to finance Luxembourg language courses for their employees and hence recover some of the costs related to the training (trainers' costs and teaching materials).
The self-employed are not eligible for the subsidy.
In order to benefit from the subsidy for Luxembourg language courses, the private business is required to purchase the services of an accredited training institute.
The duly completed form for 2018 and all the supporting documents required have to be transmitted by email or in person to the Ministry of Labour, Employment and the Social and Solidarity Economy by 28 December 2018 at the latest.
How to proceed
Applying for the subsidy
Luxembourg businesses who wish to benefit from a subsidy for a Luxembourg language course for their employees have to submit their request to the Ministry of Labour, Employment and the Social and Solidarity Economy using an application form for subsidies for Luxembourg language courses for businesses.
In addition to company specific information, e.g. business activity or staff structure, the legal representative is required to indicate project-related information such as:
- the objectives;
- the motivation behind the project;
- the expected benefits;
- the target group;
- a description of the methodology used (general language course, specific professional vocabulary);
- the practical organisation of the training (time schedule during and outside of work hours);
- the language teacher's identity;
- a possible collaboration with public authorities;
- the detailed cost breakdown.
The following supporting documents need to be attached to the application:
- copies of the receipted invoices including proof of payment;
- a certificate showing that the project does not benefit from other public co-funding (affidavit);
- attendance lists signed by the course participants and the training institute.
The business will receive an acknowledgement of receipt indicating the missing documents, if applicable.
In the event of approval by the Ministry of Labour, Employment and the Social and Solidarity Economy, the business will receive the budgetary funding.
Please note: the subsidy can only be used to reimburse training expenses and does not apply to travel expenses or salaries. Eligible expenses are the trainer's fees and costs of teaching materials.
The total amount of the subsidy cannot be announced in advance as it will be calculated depending on the total number of businesses who have submitted an application and on the total amount of expenses.
All course levels (beginner, intermediate, etc.) are taken into account for the calculation of the amount of the subsidy
Forms / Online services
Formulaire de subvention pour l'apprentissage du luxembourgeois
Who to contact
Ministry of Labour, Employment and the Social and Solidarity Economy26, rue Zithe
Postal address :
Phone : (+352) 2478 6100Fax : (+352) 2478 6108
Department for the Social and Solidarity Economy26, rue Sainte- Zithe
Phone : (+352) 247-88403Fax : (+352) 247-86108