Reporting an accident at work / a commuting accident

Last update

Except in exceptional and duly justified circumstances, an insured person who is the victim of a work-related or commuting accident must immediately inform their employer (or his representative) in order to be entitled to certain benefits such as:

  • annuities and allowances;
  • compensation for material damages to a vehicle.

Who is concerned?

All persons exercising a professional activity insured in Luxembourg and who are victims of an accident.


Work-related accident

For the accident to be covered, it must:

  • happen while a professional activity is being carried out;
  • cause an injury and/or damage to a vehicle.

The insured person must have suffered an accident during the execution of the employment contract, i.e. in:

  • the framework of the activity of the company that employs him;
  • a relationship of subordination with respect to the employer.

Note that if the accident occurred during working hours and at the workplace, this accident is presumed to be attributable to the professional activity.

If the cause of the accident is unknown and the Accident Insurance Association (Association d'assurance accident - AAA) refuses to compensate the accident, the AAA will have to prove that the damage has an origin unrelated to work.

Commuting accident

The insured person is the victim a commuting accident if it occurs:

  • between his usual place of residence and the place of work, either way;
  • between the place of work and the place where the insured person usually takes his meals (e.g.: canteen, restaurant);
  • on the usual and most direct route.

The usual place of residence includes:

  • the main residence;
  • a regularly used secondary residence.

By extension, the usual route covers:

  • detours made to drop off or pick up a child, who is living in the concerned person's household, at the place where a third party is caring for the child while the person concerned is at work;
  • detours made and made necessary in the context carpooling. Detours must be justified and reasonable.

The insured person will not be compensated if the accident occurs:

  • due to gross misconduct;
    example: violations of the highway code
  • during an interrupted journey or a detour taken for personal reasons and not in keeping with the essential necessities of daily life or independent of the insured party's activity.

Note that the route is covered "door-to-door", i.e. from the moment the insured person leaves home to the moment he enters his workplace.


The declaration must be presented within one year on risk of forfeiture of the right to compensation.

The 1-year deadline begins on the day after the occurrence of the accident.

How to proceed


Accidents are to be declared by:

  • employers or their representatives, for accidents involving their employees (private and public sector);
  • self-employed workers engaging in a craft, commercial or liberal activity;
  • self-employed persons carrying out an agricultural, viticultural, horticultural or forestry activity;
  • the beneficiary of the full unemployment allowance who is involved in an accident while on their way to the National Employment Agency (Agence pour le développement de l'emploi).

Benefits for work and commuting accidents

All insured persons whose work or commuting accident is covered by the AAA may be entitled to the following benefits:

  • compensation for material damages to a vehicle;
  • compensation for secondary material damages;
  • compensation for damages caused to dental crowns, prostheses, orthotics and epitheses that they were wearing/carrying at the time of the accident;
  • coverage of:
    • benefits in kind consisting in the coverage of health care expenses related to an accident at work / commuting accident;
    • benefits in cash in the event of total incapacity for work, for the first 78 weeks, corresponding to the payment of the insured party's salary and other benefits during the period of incapacity for work;
  • payment of a:

If the insured dies as a result of a recognized work accident, rightful claimants may apply for the following benefits:

Online services and forms

Who to contact

Accident Insurance Association

  • Accident Insurance Association

    4, rue Mercier L-2144 Luxembourg Luxembourg
    L-2976 Luxembourg
    Closed ⋅ Opens tomorrow at 8.00
    8.00 to 16.00
    8.00 to 16.00
    8.00 to 16.00
    8.00 to 16.00
    8.00 to 16.00
    08.00 - 16.00

Related procedures and links


Declaring an occupational illness Compensation for material damage, dental crowns, prostheses, orthoses or epitheses following an accident that occurred on or after 1 January 2011


Further information

Legal references

Your opinion matters to us

Tell us what you think of this page. You can leave us your feedback on how to improve this page. You will not receive a reply to your feedback. Please use the contact form for any specific questions you might have.

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are mandatory.

Did you find what you were looking for?*
How would you rate this page?*
Very poor
Very good

Leave a comment to help us improve this page. Do not provide any personal information such as your email address, name, telephone number, etc.


Please rate this page

Your opinion has been submitted successfully!

Thank you for your contribution. If you need help or have any questions, please use the contact form.

Would you like to help us make digital public services more user-friendly by submitting your suggestions for improvement?

Then visit Zesumme Vereinfachen, the online participation platform dedicated to administrative simplification in Luxembourg.

Let's simplify things together

An error occurred

Oops, an error has been detected during your form processing.