Persons may be stripped of their Luxembourgish nationality in certain circumstances.
Forfeiture of Luxembourgish nationality is a sanction imposed by the Minister of Justice in the event of fraud or certain criminal convictions.Losing Luxembourgish nationality has no retro-active effects. The acts and events occurring before loss of Luxembourgish nationality remain valid.
Who is concerned
Forfeiture of Luxembourgish nationality is imposed by the Minister of Justice in respect of a person who has obtained Luxembourgish nationality by means of a naturalisation, option or reclamation procedure:
- if they have obtained Luxembourgish nationality by making false statements, acting fraudulently or concealing important information; or
- if they have obtained Luxembourgish nationality on the basis of:
- a falsehood or the use of a falsehood; or
- impersonation; or
- a marriage of convenience;
provided that the person in question has been found guilty, in the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg or abroad, of one of these offences by a court ruling that has the force of res judicata.
DeadlinesPersons may be stripped of their Luxembourgish nationality at any time if the legal conditions have been met.
How to proceed
The ministerial order imposing forfeiture of nationality is notified to the person concerned:
- either by the civil registrar of the Luxembourg commune in which they live;
- or by the Nationality Office of the Ministry of Justice (Service de l'indigénat) if the person concerned lives abroad.
The person concerned may lodge a reversal on appeal against the ministerial order imposing the forfeiture of Luxembourgish nationality within 3 months of receiving notification of this decision. The appeal must be lodged by a court lawyer.
Forfeiture becomes definitive when all avenues of appeal have been exhausted. The ministerial order or court ruling confirming the forfeiture is then recorded on the naturalisation, option or reclamation declaration, and shall take effect on this record date.
Persons who have lost Luxembourgish nationality by way of forfeiture may not initiate a naturalisation, option or reclamation procedure within 15 years of said forfeiture.