The welcome and integration contract (Contrat d'accueil et d'intégration - CAI) is a voluntary integration programme for non-Luxembourgish residents. It is made available by the Ministry of Family Affairs, Integration and the Greater Region and aims to facilitate the integration of signatories and their active participation in life in Luxembourg.
Who is concerned
The welcome and integration contract is intended for foreigners who:
- are aged 16 or over;
- do not have Luxembourg nationality;
- legally reside on the territory of Luxembourg.
How to proceed
How to sign the Welcome and Integration Contract
Step 1: The virtual information session
The virtual information session is mandatory. It enables applicants to obtain detailed information on the services and procedures of the CAI.
To register, the applicant must contact the CAI department:
- using the contact form (available under 'Forms / Online services'); or
- by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org; or
- by phone at: (+352) 8002 6006 (toll-free number).
Applicants then receive a personal access code from the CAI department, which allows them to:
- access the virtual session; and
- validate their participation.
Step 2: Signing the contract
The person wishing to participate in the CAI can request an individual appointment with a CAI agent to:
- receive individual counselling; and
- sign the contract.
Appointments are offered online or in person directly at the Ministry of Family Affairs, Integration and the Greater Region in Luxembourg-Hamm.
The person concerned must request, online via MyGuichet.lu:
- an appointment to sign the CAI; and
- the signing of the CAI without individual counselling.
The online procedure via MyGuichet.lu is done without authentication with a LuxTrust product or electronic identity card (eID).
After submitting the application, applicants receive an email notification.
If they do not receive an email after submitting their application, applicants should check their email spam folder (junk email).
Benefits of the Welcome and Integration Contract
CAI signatories are eligible for the following benefits:
- discount vouchers for language courses to learn one of the country's official languages (Luxembourgish, German, French). The objective is to reach at least the level A1.1 in one of these languages;
- a 6-hour civic education course on the history, traditions, values and intercultural living together in Luxembourg;
- an orientation day which allows participants to become familiar with:
- numerous administrative procedures and official bodies; and
- associative life in Luxembourg.
Interested signatories also have the possibility to participate in various optional modules on integration topics.
The validation of the CAI contract
The contract is considered fulfilled when the signatory has participated in the agreed courses and events within 2 years of the entry into force of the contract.
The contract comes into force on the day on which the first service provided under the contract begins.
Signatories, who have not completed the contract for a legitimate reason recognised by the Integration Department at the end of the contract period, may enter into a new contract (an addendum) with the Integration Department. This second contract is only for the validation of the remaining courses or events not completed during the initial contract period.
After validation of all the CAI's courses and events, the signatories receive a final certificate.
The completion of the CAI can be taken into account - under certain conditions - for:
- obtaining long-term resident status; and
- for applications to acquire nationality by option.
Forms / Online services
on the websit of Welcome and Integration Contract (CAI)
Formulaire de contact
sur le site du Contrat d'accueil et d'intégration (CAI)
Démarche en ligne
auf der Website von Aufnahme und Integrationsvertrag (CAI)
Prendre rendez-vous pour une orientation personnelle et la signature du Contrat d’accueil et d’intégration (CAI)
Demander la conclusion d’un Contrat d’accueil et d’intégration (CAI) sans orientation individuelle
Liste des observations sur les titres de séjour pour ressortissants de pays tiers