Last update 05.12.2018
Accreditation of prior experiential learning (validation des acquis de l'expérience – VAE) offers formal recognition of skills acquired throughout life by granting a corresponding certificate, diploma or other qualification.
Specifically, accreditation can provide access to:
- secondary technical education diplomas or master craftsman's certificates;
- diplomas and titles issued by higher education establishments (Bachelor's, Master's, PhD, etc.); or the advanced technician's certificate (brevet de technicien supérieur – BTS);
- diplomas obtained in evening classes organised by the Luxembourg Lifelong Learning Center (LLLC).
Diplomas or course units awarded through accreditation of prior experiential learning have equal value to those awarded through initial education.
For the following qualifications, please submit the application for accreditation of prior experiential learning to the Ministry of Education, Children and Youth(Ministère de l’Education nationale, de l’Enfance et de la Jeunesse):
- certificate of vocational ability (certificat de capacité professionnelle – CCP);
- vocational aptitude diploma (diplôme d'aptitude professionnelle – DAP);
- technician's diploma (diplôme de technicien – DT);
- general secondary education diploma (diplôme de fin d'études secondaires de l'enseignement secondaire général);
- master craftsman's certificate (brevet de maîtrise de l'artisanat).
Who is concerned
Anyone may apply for accreditation of prior experiential learning.
Certificates and diplomas obtained through accreditation demonstrate their holders have the skills required to:
- register for specific training courses;
- access certain professions.
The Ministry of Education, Children and Youth handles the accreditation of prior experiential learning for the following qualifications:
- certificate of vocational ability (CCP);
- vocational aptitude diploma (DAP);
- technician's diploma (DT);
- general secondary education diploma;
- master craftsman's certificate.
Before submitting their application, candidates must contact the training institution for the relevant secondary technical certificate or master craftsman's certificate to find out about the assessment criteria.
Any professional activity (on an employed or self-employed basis) or extra-professional activity (association, voluntary work, etc.) may be used as the basis for accreditation of prior experiential learning.
The skills and knowledge acquired must relate to the specific qualification. The skills may be acquired:
- through formal learning in an educational or training establishment or in the workplace;
- through informal learning as part of an activity which contains a significant training portion;
- through informal learning by carrying out activities related to work, family or leisure.
In principle, applicants must demonstrate at least 3 years of work experience in a field relating to the qualification they are interested in.
Applications for accreditation of prior experiential learning must include payment of an administrative charge of EUR 25 to the bank account of the Registration Duties, Estates and VAT Authority (Administration de l'enregistrement des domaines et de la TVA): IBAN LU13 1111 0011 4679 0000, BIC code: CCPLLULL, reference: 'droit de timbre, validation des acquis de l’expérience (rgd du 11 janvier 2010)' plus the applicant's surname and first name.
How to proceed
Application for admissibility
To apply for accreditation of prior experiential learning to receive a technical secondary education certificate or master craftsman's certificate, candidates must send an application for admissibility to the Department for Accreditation of Prior Experiential Learning of the Ministry of Education, Children and Youth.
The application must indicate the certificate, diploma or degree the applicant is seeking and contain:
- documents attesting the professional experience (work certificates, Social Security registration certificate, etc.);
- for self-employed workers, a social security registration certificate;
- documents attesting extra-professional experience in the field in question (certificate of volunteering activities, affidavits, etc.);
- photocopies of certificates, diplomas or degrees, transcripts, certifications of course units or modules, decisions on accreditation of prior experiential learning, internship participation certificates or training completion certificates;
- a copy of the ID card;
- proof of payment of a EUR 25 fee to the bank account of the Registration Duties, Estates and VAT Authority.
The supporting documents that are submitted are not returned to the applicant. Make sure to send only copies of documents.
Application for accreditation of the substance of the experience
If the application for admissibility is granted, the candidate must fill out a second, detailed application for accreditation of the substance.
This application details the knowledge, aptitudes and skills that relate directly to the diploma.
The deadlines for submitting the application for accreditation of the substance during the accreditation sessions are as follows:
- 31 July 2018 for the October–November 2018 session;
- 28 February 2019 for the May–June 2019 session;
- 31 July 2019 for the October–November 2019 session.
If the application is sent by post, the postmark serves as proof of the date.
The accreditation committee analyses the application and, as applicable:
- invites the candidate for an interview;
- or observes the candidate at work or in a role-play exercise.
After deliberation, the accreditation committee will decide:
- either to grant the diploma requested;
- or to grant part of the diploma, indicating the additional elements that must be provided.
Forms / Online services
Who to contact
Department for accreditation of prior and experiential learning18-20, montée de la Pétrusse
Phone : (+352) 247-85912
Schools offering an advanced technician's certificate (BTS)
Lycée technique des Arts et Métiers (LTAM) in Dommeldange20, rue Nicolas Hein
Phone : (+352) 26 68 91 - 2007Fax : (+352) 26 68 91 - 4006
Lycée technique des Arts et Métiers – Luxembourg19, rue Guillaume Schneider
Phone : +(352) 46 76 16 1Fax : (+352) 47 29 91
Lycée Technique Ecole de Commerce et de Gestion (LTECG)rue Marguerite de Brabant
Phone : (+352) 26 04 51 00Fax : (+352) 26 04 51 05
Lycée Technique d’Esch-sur-Alzette (LTE)32, rue Henri Koch
Phone : (+352) 55 95 45 - 204Fax : (+352) 55 95 45 - 200
Lycée technique pour professions de santé (secondary school for health professions – LTPS)27, rue Barblé
Phone : (+352) 4411-3736/46Fax : (+352) 4411-6736