Permit to recover and transport halogenated hydrocarbons (CFCs, HCFCs, HFCs and halons)

Halogenated hydrocarbons (also called halocarbons) contribute to global warming (greenhouse effect) as well as, in certain cases, to the depletion of the ozone layer.

Environmental legislation provides for a gradual reduction in the use of these substances, starting with those causing damage to the ozone layer.

In this respect, businesses must request a permit from the Air/Noise Department (Division Air/Bruit) of the Environment Agency (Administration de l’environnement) for the recovery and transport of these substances.

Who is concerned

Eligible businesses

It is necessary to hold a specific authorisation if the business is carrying out the dismantling and transportation of:

  • fixed or mobile fire extinguishing equipment;
  • air-conditioning and refrigeration equipment, including household refrigerators and freezers;
  • heat pumps;
  • air dryers or dehumidifiers;
  • insulating material, etc.

The authorisation procedure differs depending on the type of fluid recovered and/or transported (halons or CFCs).

Substances concerned

The regulation aims at eliminating:

  • halons previously used as extinguishing gas;
  • as well as the halogenated fluids CFC (chlorofluorocarbon) and H-CFC (hydrochlorofluorocarbon) which were formerly used as refrigerating fluids and as a foaming agent in certain insulating materials in particular.

Fire protection systems and fire extinguishers containing halons should have been decommissioned before the end of 2003. Where this has not yet been carried out, halons must now be recovered for ecological destruction.

As far as the halogenated fluids are concerned:

  • recharging equipment with CFC type fluids is not authorised since 1 January 1997;
  • recharging equipment with virgin H-CFC fluids is no longer authorised since 1 January 2010;
  • recharging equipment with any category of fluid (i.e. virgin, recycled or reclaimed) will be banned as from 1 January 2015.

While HFC fluids are not yet banned, their use is restricted by the law on classified establishments.

Activities concerned

A specific recovery and transport permit for halogenated hydrocarbons may be granted for:

  • the recovery of halons (Halon 1211 - CF2BrCl, Halon 1301 - CF3Br or Halon 2402 - C2F4Br2) and in particular:
    • the dismantling of fire protection systems for the purpose of recovering the halons;
    • the transportation of small quantities of halons (less than 300 litres per journey) from fixed installations from the place of dismantling to a temporary intermediate warehouse (warehouse in Luxembourg, intermediate storage prior to transfer to a disposal facility);
    • the transportation of mobile extinguishers containing small quantities of halons (less than 300 litres per journey) from the place of use to a temporary intermediate warehouse (warehouse in Luxembourg, intermediate storage prior to transfer to a disposal facility);
  • the recovery and transportation of halogenated coolants. In this case, no limit is set with regard to the quantities transported.

These permits do not release the businesses concerned from registering with the Waste Division (Division des déchets) of the Environment Agency (Administration de l’environnement) for the collection and transportation of waste produced by the business.

How to proceed

Submitting the application

Businesses must send an application for a halon recovery permit to the Air/Noise Department of the Environment Agency together with the following documents:

  • a copy of the business permit;
  • a recent extract from the Trade and Companies Register (Registre de commerce et des sociétés - RCS);
  • a third-party liability insurance certificate covering accidental pollution;
  • where applicable, an inspection certificate for air-conditioning and refrigeration systems.

Obligations associated with the permit

Businesses holding a permit must also:

  • keep a detailed register of the substances handled;
  • annually send a report detailing the substances handled to the Air/Noise Department of the Environment Agency.

Related permits

Other types of authorisation shall be required for the recovery or transportation of larger quantities or for waste recycling:

Forms / Online services

Autorisation de récupération de halons

Les informations qui vous concernent recueillies sur ce formulaire font l’objet d’un traitement par l’administration concernée afin de mener à bien votre demande.

Ces informations sont conservées pour la durée nécessaire par l’administration à la réalisation de la finalité du traitement

Les destinataires de vos données sont les administrations compétentes dans le cadre du traitement de votre demande. Veuillez-vous adresser à l’administration concernée par votre demande pour connaître les destinataires des données figurant sur ce formulaire. Conformément au règlement (UE) 2016/679 relatif à la protection des personnes physiques à l'égard du traitement des données à caractère personnel et à la libre circulation de ces données, vous bénéficiez d’un droit d’accès, de rectification et le cas échéant d’effacement des informations vous concernant. Vous disposez également du droit de retirer votre consentement à tout moment.

En outre et excepté le cas où le traitement de vos données présente un caractère obligatoire, vous pouvez, pour des motifs légitimes, vous y opposer.

Si vous souhaitez exercer ces droits et/ou obtenir communication de vos informations, veuillez-vous adresser à l’administration concernée suivant les coordonnées indiquées dans le formulaire. Vous avez également la possibilité d’introduire une réclamation auprès de la Commission nationale pour la protection des données ayant son siège à 15, boulevard du Jazz L-4370 Belvaux.

En poursuivant votre démarche, vous acceptez que vos données personnelles soient traitées dans le cadre de votre demande.

Who to contact

Double click to activate the map

We are interested in your opinion

How would you rate the content of this page?

Last update