Waste production has a harmful impact on the environment, depending on the type and quantity of waste produced.
Businesses that collect or transport specific types of waste may be required to register with the Environment Agency (Administration de l’environnement).
Who is concerned
Businesses are subject to registration if they:
- transport waste (transit or import) on Luxembourg territory;
- collect and transport inert waste from roadworks, excavation works and demolition works;
- collect or transport waste in the form of:
- natural non-hazardous materials from agricultural or sylvicultural (forestry) operations;
- dung or slurry;
- sewage sludge or biodegradable waste from gardens and parcs;
- collect and transport waste from their own activities;
- only collect and transport waste inside the premises of the operating site that produced said waste;
- businesses that provide products and then collect said products when they have become waste from their customers for regrouping and recovery or disposal as appropriate (i.e. a maintenance company that replaces faulty or used material for its customers such as light bulbs or toner).
Businesses who occasionally transport their own waste without commercial purpose (e.g. businesses who transport their own printer toners, neon tubes, used tires, etc.) 2 or 3 times a year to a recycling plant are not concerned.
How to proceed
The business must register (transport) online on the website of the Environment Agency (Portail de l’Environnement).
No permit or specific authorisation in any (physical) form will be issued for this procedure.
The Environment Agency will send a simple proof of registration to the business.
Depending on the type of waste transported, the business is subject to a notification of waste transport procedure.