The Minister of Justice can appoint sworn experts, translators and interpreters in law enforcement and administrative matters to carry out tasks assigned to them by the judicial and administrative authorities.
The experts, translators and interpreters who have been appointed in this way and subsequently sworn in before a chamber of the Supreme Court of Justice are included on a list available on the website of the Ministry of Justice.
This list does not include the telephone numbers, fax numbers or email addresses of the persons listed.
In criminal justice and administrative matters, experts, translators and interpreters will preferentially be chosen by the judicial and administrative authorities from among the sworn experts, translators and interpreters included on this list.
Who is concerned
Any natural person with the required qualifications and experience can apply to be registered on this list.
How to proceed
Filing an application
The application must be submitted to the Minister of Justice via MyGuichet.lu.
It must specify:
- for experts:
- the branch(es) concerned;
- possibly, the speciality(ies);
- for translators and interpreters:
- the language pair(s) applied for (i.e. which source language(s) are translated into which administrative language(s) of Luxembourg).
Applications that do not cover any of the 3 administrative languages (French, German and Luxembourgish) cannot be taken into consideration.
Experts and/or translators and interpreters must attach to their application:
- a detailed curriculum vitae;
- a copy of the applicant's criminal record from their country of residence.
- copies of the diplomas;
- a copy of the ministerial order of registration in the higher education section of the register of certificates, and/or, where applicable, an authorisation to practice if they are self-employed;
- certificates from third parties (e.g. an employer) attesting that the information on the CV corresponds to the professional experience actually acquired in the relevant branches/specialities or, in the case of translation/interpreting, for the relevant languages;
- any other information deemed necessary.
Decision of the Minister
The Minister verifies:
- professional integrity with the public prosecutor's office;
- whether the diplomas correspond to the targeted activity;
- if sufficient experience can be demonstrated.
If the application is successful, the applicant is entered on the list kept at the Ministry of Justice by a ministerial order issued several times a year.
The applicant is also invited to take an oath before a Chamber of the Supreme Court of Justice.
As of that moment, the expert will be answerable to the State Public Prosecutor.
The Minister of Justice may dismiss experts, translators and interpreters in case of:
- breach of duty or professional ethics;
- other serious motives.
Forms / Online services
Demande d'admission sur la liste des experts, traducteurs et interprètes assermentés
Who to contact
Ministry of Justice13, Rue Erasme, Centre administratif Pierre Werner
Postal address :
Phone : (+352) 247-84537Fax : (+352) 26 68 48 61
Arms and Security Service13, rue Erasme
Fax : (+352) 22 05 19From Tuesday 17 March 2020, the reception desk will be closed until further notice
Asset Management Office13, rue Erasme
Phone : (+352) 247-88535Fax : (+352) 247-84027