Preparing for the civil marriage

In order to have a civil marriage in Luxembourg, it is necessary:

  • to carry out a number of preliminary procedures (which may vary according to the nationality of the future spouses); and
  • to gather all the documents necessary to constitute the marriage file.

Religious marriage may only be celebrated after the civil marriage has taken place.

Who is concerned

The 2 people who wish to marry each other:

  • may be of different sexes or of the same sex;
  • can be of any nationality;
  • must be at least 18 years old.

One of the two parties must officially reside in Luxembourg.

Minors may marry, provided they have the permission of a judge in guardianship matters.


The supporting documents required to compile the marriage file must be submitted to the registry office no later than 1 month before the date of the marriage.

Given the formalities to be carried out, it is in the interest of the future spouses to go to the registry office at least 2 to 3 months before the date of the wedding.

How to proceed

Constitution of the marriage file

Depending on the commune, one of the future spouses will be invited to go to the civil registrar of the commune where one of the spouses has their legal place of residence. They must bring:

  • their ID card or passport;
  • the ID card or passport of their future spouse.

The civil registrar will provide them with the necessary forms relating to the procedures to be carried out and specifies the supporting documents to be provided.

With regard to the commune of the city of Luxembourg ( Ville de Luxembourg - VdL), this first visit in person is not required. The list of documents to be provided is available online on the website of the VdL. However, the marriage file must be submitted by both future spouses together, by appointment only.

Supporting documents

Essential supporting documents

  • proof of identity of the future spouses: a copy of a valid passport or identity card;
  • for individuals who don't have their legal domicile in Luxembourg: a residence certificate or other evidence of residence, if such a certificate is not available;
  • where applicable, proof of single status (mentioning civil status) establishing the celibacy status of the future spouses.
    • for Luxembourg nationals: a recent copy of the birth certificate established in Luxembourg;
    • for foreign nationals: a certificate of legal capacity to marry. If this certificate cannot be issued by the authorities of the interested party's country of origin, it may be replaced by a certificate of national custom and a certificate of single status. To find out which authority can issue these documents abroad, it is recommended that interested parties contact the commune where they last resided abroad, or the competent embassy;
  • a full copy of the birth certificate of the future spouses (with the names of the parents):
    • drawn up by the commune of their place of birth;
    • which is less than 6 months old.

If no birth certificate can be issued, it can be replaced by a notarial certificate:

  • issued by the magistrate of the place of birth of the future spouse or of their legal domicile;
  • recognised by the District Court of the place where the marriage is to take place.
The resident's domicile is verified by the registrar when the file is compiled.

Supporting documents must be supplied in French, German or English. The future spouses must provide, if the act was drawn up in:

Additional documents depending on the case

Where applicable, the future spouses must also submit:

  • the death certificate of the previous spouse;
  • the death certificate of the father/mother, for minors;
  • a marriage certificate with mention of a divorce or transcription of a divorce judgement;
  • the birth certificate of children to be legitimised.
Note: children born before the marriage and not recognised by the father and/or mother must be recognised before the marriage is celebrated. Otherwise, the child concerned cannot have the status of a legitimate child.

Children who are recognised are automatically legitimised by marriage.

As far as the documents relating to the divorce are concerned, these are:

  • the previous marriage certificate(s) with mention of divorce; or
  • the divorce judgment(s).

If the divorce judgment was pronounced in:

  • a European Union (EU) Member State:
    • before 1 March 2001, it must be made enforceable in Luxembourg by a judgment of the Luxembourg Court;
    • after 1 March 2001, a certificate provided for in Article 39 of Regulation EC 2201/2003 must be attached to the marriage file;
  • a non-EU Member State, it must be made enforceable in Luxembourg by a judgment of the Luxembourg Court.

Note: the official documents to be provided may vary according to the customs of the country of origin of the future spouses (see below).

Special provisions for German nationals

The German certificate of legal capacity to marry (Ehefähigkeitszeugnis) is issued upon request to the civil registrar of the commune in Luxembourg in which the marriage is to take place. It is issued by:

  • the last commune of residence in Germany;
  • the commune of birth;
  • the Standesamt I Berlin, when the interested party has never lived in Germany.
Special provisions concerning Italian nationals

If the individual is:

  • born and domiciled in Luxembourg since birth: the announcement of marriage is published in the Italian Consulate, which will be informed by the civil registrar of the commune of residence;
  • born in Italy, marriage publications are made in Italy. The civil registrar will inform the relevant commune through the Italian Consulate.

The interested party must pay a tax to the commune in Italy.

Special provisions concerning Portuguese nationals

The future spouses must report together to the Consulate General of Portugal in Luxembourg with the necessary documents, i.e:

  • a recently issued birth certificate (6 months);
  • ID card or passport;
  • foreigner identification card or certificate of residency;
  • parental authorisation for minors;
  • Portuguese birth certificate mentioning current marital status.

The Consulate services publish the marriage:

  • at their premises; and
  • if applicable, to the Portuguese civil status office competent for the residence of the future spouses during the 12 months preceding the opening of the file.

After completion of the file, these offices will forward the certificate of legal capacity to marry, accompanied by the documents produced, directly to the relevant communal administration.

Information to provide in order to finalise preparations for the marriage

The future spouses must provide:

  • date and place of birth of their parents, their domiciles, and their professions. If one of the parents is deceased, the date and place of death must be indicated;
  • their national identification number (13-digit number);
  • the number of guests who will attend the civil marriage;
  • their address after the marriage.

The marriage ceremony

Prior publication

In Luxembourg, all marriages are preceded by a publication, which takes place, upon receipt of the required documents, during 10 days:

  • in the commune of the place of residence of the future spouses;
  • at the civil registrar's office of the commune where the marriage will be celebrated.
For individuals whose residence has changed within the last 6 months, the marriage must be published in the municipality of their previous residence.

Date and time of ceremony

The marriage ceremony must be held within 12 months after the end of the publication period. Otherwise, a new publication will be necessary.

The date and time of the marriage ceremony will be set when all of the documents required for the publication of the marriage announcement have been submitted.

In principle, marriages may take place on any working day of the week.

The civil marriage is pronounced by:

  • the mayor, in their capacity as civil registrar; or
  • a delegate to their functions: an alderperson or a communal councillor.


The wedding must be celebrated in the commune where one of the spouses legally resides.

It is generally celebrated at the town hall or in another place of celebration designated by the communal councillor.

In case of serious impediment, the public prosecutor for the place in which the marriage is to take place may authorise the civil registrar to travel to the domicile or residence of one of the parties to perform the marriage.

Who to contact

Double click to activate the map