Doing a semester abroad from the University of Luxembourg

This document is currently being updated

Last updated more than 5 years ago

The University of Luxembourg has embraced the principle of international mobility for students, which calls for a mandatory period of studies at a university or other higher learning institution abroad. International mobility gives students an opportunity for genuine academic and personal enrichment, allowing them to experience a different university culture.

The University of Luxembourg offers its students a range of options for study abroad:

  • the Erasmus+ programme;
  • other study-abroad programmes.

Who is concerned

All students enrolled in a bachelor’s degree programme at the University of Luxembourg are required to spend one semester abroad at a university or other institution of higher learning (usually during their third, fourth or fifth semesters).

Students enrolled in other degree programmes may also spend one semester abroad at a university or other institution of higher learning, although they are not under any obligation to do so, as bachelor’s students are.

Waivers/exemptions from the study-abroad requirement:

A waiver is granted by the university dean upon a recommendation from a student’s academic advisor if the student:

  • suffers from an illness requiring a specific treatment and/or has a permanent or temporary disability that impairs mobility;
  • has family obligations making it impossible to leave the family residence for an extended period;
  • is from a country that is not a member of the European Economic Area (EEA), and has earned a secondary school diploma (issued in a non-EEA country);
  • can show proof of employment involving at least 20 hours of work per week for the period in question.

An exemption is granted to any student who has:

  • earned a degree after at least 4 semesters of university study abroad; or
  • earned at least 25 ECTS credits at a foreign university (equivalent to one semester of studies).

Waivers and exemptions are not automatic. They must be requested as early as possible from the university secretariat.


To enrol in a mobility programme, students must:

  • be enrolled at the University of Luxembourg, which remains their home university throughout their stay abroad, and through which all administrative matters must be handled (tuition fees may be payable either to the home university or to the host university);
  • be enrolled in university courses corresponding to at least 30 ECTS credits (equivalent to one semester of studies).

The ECTS (European Credit Transfer and Accumulation System) is a system of cumulative and transferable points that facilitates and guarantees academic recognition of periods of study abroad at institutions participating in the programme.


Students have the ability to spend between one semester (minimum) and one year (maximum) at a foreign university or other institution of higher education.

How to proceed

Application procedures for study abroad

Students (who must first be enrolled at the University of Luxembourg) must do the following to prepare for their stay abroad:

Before leaving:

  • Visit the mobility unit of the Students' Department (Service des Etudes et de la Vie Etudiante - SEVE) to obtain information on the procedures to follow in order to prepare for a period of study abroad;
  • decide on a foreign university or higher education institution; depending on the course of study, students have access to foreign universities with inter-university agreements with the University of Luxembourg. It is also possible to study at a foreign university or institution of higher learning that has not signed an Erasmus agreement or inter-university agreement with the University of Luxembourg; in that case, the student is referred to as a ‘free mover’. Their application to a host university is made on an individual basis;
  • identify a host university in concert with their academic adviser and together prepare a learning agreement (which can be downloaded from the University of Luxembourg website) stipulating the course of study to be followed at the chosen university and to be verified upon their return to Luxembourg. The agreements also serve to guarantee that the students receive recognition for the activities successfully completed abroad;


  • for study abroad during the autumn semester: application procedures must be started in March;
  • for study abroad during the spring semester: application procedures must be started in October.
  • submit, to the SEVE’s mobility unit, the following documents required for the mobility application:
    • a copy of their identity card;
    • a copy of their student card;
    • a cover letter;
    • a curriculum vitae;
    • copies of transcripts for the previous semesters;
    • a learning agreement (downloadable from the University of Luxembourg website) prepared and signed by the student and their academic adviser;
    • an ID photo;
    • a language test certificate (except for French- and German-speaking countries).

These documents collectively constitute the application file, unless otherwise specified. Some foreign institutions require the use of their own forms: the SEVE’s mobility unit will inform the students concerned where this is the case.

  • after their application is accepted, visit the office of the SEVE’s mobility unit to sign the mobility contract, which specifies their departure date and destination for study abroad;
  • be enrolled at the University of Luxembourg before departing, as an outgoing student (departure from the University of Luxembourg). A University of Luxembourg student card will be issued to each outgoing student for the duration of the mobility period.

Upon arrival at the host institution:

  • have the host institution sign the certificate of enrolment (downloadable from the University of Luxembourg's website), proving the student's actual arrival at the host institution;
  • send the certificate of enrolment to the SEVE's mobility unit.

Upon return:

  • submit their certificate of completion to the SEVE’s mobility unit. This certificate attests to the duration of their stay and must be signed by the host institution. It can be downloaded from the University of Luxembourg website;
  • meet with their academic adviser to approve the learning outcomes of their mobility period.

Financial aid

There is no specific financial aid available to students who leave to study at a foreign university (unlike the Erasmus exchange programme, which offers an Erasmus grant).

However, students may apply for aid such as State subsidies.

Who to contact

Double click to activate the map

We are interested in your opinion

How would you rate the content of this page?

Last update