Diplomas, degrees, school reports, and certificates from general and vocational secondary education obtained abroad can, in certain conditions, be recognised as equivalent qualifications.
The Department for the Recognition of Diplomas (Service de la reconnaissance des diplômes) will determine whether the candidate's level of studies, diplomas, and/or professional qualifications are recognised as equivalent to the qualification required in Luxembourg in order to access:
- certain liberal professions and professions in the commercial and craft sector;
- healthcare professions; and
- the socio-educational professions (specialist teacher, carer).
Applications for recognition of equivalence are subject to the payment of a fee.
Who is concerned
The holder, irrespective of their nationality, may require recognition of their level of education, of the equivalence of diplomas and of the equivalence of professional qualifications acquired abroad relative to equivalent diplomas in Luxembourg in order to obtain a licence to practise one of the following:
- a craft activity (qualification must be equivalent to the vocational skills certificate (CATP)/the vocational aptitude diploma (DAP) or the Master Craftsman's certificate); or
- certain commercial or liberal activities (qualification must be equivalent to the vocational skills certificate (CATP)/vocational aptitude diploma (DAP)).
In order to obtain the recognition of the equivalence of a secondary school graduation diploma obtained abroad (in or outside the EU), the holder can request recognition of the diploma (final secondary school diploma, A-level, baccalauréat).
To obtain the recognition of a higher education (academic) diploma obtained abroad (in or outside the EU), the holder must either request the approval of their diploma or register their diploma in the register of certificates for higher education diplomas.
Healthcare and socio-educational professions
The holder, irrespective of their nationality, must seek the recognition of equivalence of their education, of their diplomas and of their professional qualifications acquired abroad with respect to equivalent diplomas in Luxembourg before applying for a licence to practise one of the following professions (non-exhaustive list):
- healthcare professions;
- socio-educational professions: educator, carer.
Licences to practise a socio-educational profession can be obtained from the Department for the Recognition of Diplomas.
Professional qualifications acquired in the European Union
Professional qualifications obtained within the European Union (EU) are recognised provided that the holder is able to prove:
- a formal qualification which gives access to the profession concerned in another EU Member State;
- or, if the profession is not regulated in the holder's Member State of origin:
- one year's full-time professional experience during the past 10 years in the Member State of origin;
- a certificate of competence or a formal qualification.
The content and duration of the training course must closely match the conditions of access to the profession required in Luxembourg.
Nursing and midwifery qualifications obtained in another EU country will be recognised automatically, as the minimum training conditions have been harmonised at EU level.
Professional qualifications obtained outside of the European Union
Professional qualifications obtained outside the European Union (EU) are recognised provided that the holder is able to prove:
- a formal qualification issued by a non-EU country which is officially recognised by another EU Member State; or
- and a professional experience of 3 years in said Member State.
All applications for recognition of equivalence are subject to the payment of a tax of EUR 75 for a diploma or other. If applicable, EUR 300 shall be added if a compensatory measure is required (adaptation period/aptitude test).
The tax must be paid by bank transfer to the bank account at the Banque et Caisse d’Épargne de l’État:
IBAN LU80 0019 5955 4435 5000
Name of the beneficiary: Administration de l’Enregistrement et des Domaines
Communication: Taxe reconnaissance des diplômes, MENJE, and the name of the applicant, date of the application
Proof of payment must be submitted with the application.
The payment of the tax is mandatory in order for the application to be processed, but does not mean that the application will be successful. For each application, the conditions of recognition of equivalence must be met.
A copy of the certificate of equivalence may be issued subject to the payment of a EUR 10 tax.
How to proceed
Application for recognition of level of education, qualifications or diplomas
For levels of education, diplomas or professional qualifications to be recognised as equivalents, applicants must send the Department for the Recognition of Diplomas a full application containing:
- the application for recognition of equivalence corresponding to the intended profession:
- a curriculum vitae (CV) in Europass format or other, indicating in particular:
- the detailed schooling curriculum;
- legitimate professional experience that can be proven by a document of a certain legal value (employment certificate, payslip, etc.) and internships completed;
- date and place of birth;
- a copy of the diplomas/certificates/school reports for the last 3 years of education;
- a copy of the work certificates concerning the professions for which recognition is requested;
- a copy of an identity document (ID card or passport showing the place of birth);
- proof of payment of a tax to the Registration Duties, Estates and VAT Authority (AED) (see details under "Costs");
- for socio-educational professions: proof of the last 3 years of training;
- for third-country nationals: a copy of their valid residence permit.
All copies of documents issued by countries outside the European Union must be certified true to the original by a competent authority (communal administration, embassy or consulate).
If the documents are not in German, French or English a certified translation by a sworn translator must be attached. The translator's stamp must be affixed partly on the translation and partly on the source document. Each document must be signed by the translator.
Processing the application
The recognition of equivalence of diplomas or professional qualifications is not granted automatically (except for midwifery and nursing qualifications). It is conducted on a case-by-case basis, and generally at the decision of a committee overseen by the Department for the Recognition of Diplomas.
In the case of missing documents, the Department for the Recognition of Diplomas will send a letter to the applicant asking them to complete their file.
If the applicant fails to submit the requested documents within 3 years following a request for additional information, the application for recognition will be cancelled and a new application will have to be submitted.
Once the applicant's file is complete, the Department for the Recognition of Diplomas will generally respond within 2 to 6 weeks, and after no more than 3 months.
This period begins on the date on which the Department for the Recognition of Diplomas receives the complete application file.
Granting the recognition
Applicants will receive a certificate of recognition by post if they have obtained recognition of their professional qualifications.
They can then submit an application for a licence to practise the relevant profession.
Refusal of recognition
In the event of a refusal to recognise the level of education, the equivalence of a diploma or of a professional qualification, a non-contentious appeal may be lodged with the Ministry of Education, Children and Youth.
If the non-contentious appeal is unsuccessful, a judicial appeal may be filed with the help of a lawyer before the administrative tribunal in Luxembourg against the Ministry of Education, Children and Youth.
Forms / Online services
Application for recognition of higher education qualifications, equivalence of diplomas and equivalence of professional qualifications for educators
Demande de reconnaissance de niveau d'études, d'équivalence de diplômes et d'équivalence de qualifications professionnelles d'éducateur
Antrag auf Anerkennung des Bildungsstands, der Gleichwertigkeit der Zeugnisse oder der Gleichwertigkeit der Berufsqualifikationen für Erziehungsberufe
Application for recognition of higher education qualifications, equivalence of diplomas and equivalence of professional qualifications for the health sector
Demande de reconnaissance de niveau d'études, d'équivalence de diplômes et d'équivalence de qualifications professionnelles pour les métiers de la santé
Antrag auf Anerkennung des Bildungsstands, der Gleichwertigkeit der Zeugnisse oder der Gleichwertigkeit der Berufsqualifikationen für Tätigkeiten im Gesundheitswesen
Application for recognition of higher education qualifications, equivalence of diplomas and equivalence of professional qualifications for skilled craft trades and commerce
Demande de reconnaissance de niveau d'études, d'équivalence de diplômes et d'équivalence de qualifications professionnelles pour les métiers de l'artisanat et du commerce
Antrag auf Anerkennung des Bildungsstands, der Gleichwertigkeit der Zeugnisse oder der Gleichwertigkeit der Berufsqualifikationen für handwerkliche oder kaufmännische Tätigkeiten
Who to contact
Ministry of Education, Children and YouthDepartment for the recognition of diplomas29, rue Aldringen
Postal address :
Phone : (+352) 247-85910Fax : (+352) 247-85933Mon.-Fri. from 8.30 to 11.30 and from 14.00 to 17.00