Informing the Ministry of Foreign and European Affairs of your stay abroad (Lëtzebuerger am Ausland)

Last updated more than 5 years ago

During punctual or prolonged journeys abroad (European Union or other), more or less serious and unpleasant events cannot be excluded from happening.

Should this be the case, Luxembourg nationals can request consular assistance from a competent diplomatic or consular mission.

In order to best benefit from this assistance, travellers can declare their trips to the Ministry of Foreign and European Affairs (ministère des Affaires étrangères et eurpopéennes - MAEE), which will then be able to be more responsive.

Who is concerned

Residents of Luxembourg nationality, as well as persons of another nationality who are accompanying them, can declare their temporary stay abroad (European Union or third country).

Luxembourgers who leave Luxembourg to reside abroad permanently can also declare this to the Ministry of Foreign and European Affairs.

This declaration is not mandatory.


The registration procedure with the Ministry of Foreign and European Affairs is free.

How to proceed

Declaration of stay

The declaration of stay or residence abroad is carried out using an online assistant available on (see the section 'Forms / Online services' below).

The declaration can be made without authentication on using a LuxTrust certificate or an electronic identity card (eID).

Persons with a private eSpace on which is linked to their mobile application can also submit their declaration using the mobile application.

The interested person can:

  • declare a temporary stay abroad; or
  • declare that they intend to reside abroad permanently.

The declarant has to provide several pieces of information (some of which optional):

  • the type of stay they undertake:
    • temporary stay, with one or more legs;
    • permanent residence abroad;
  • the address(es) of the place(s) of stay abroad, as well as the dates;
  • the means of transport used to travel abroad;
  • their personal data (national identification number, surname, first name);
  • whether they travel alone or accompanied;
  • an email address where they can be reached;
  • a contact person in Luxembourg;
  • etc.

The declarant also has the possibility to submit other remarks and observations to the Ministry of Foreign and European Affairs, such as the name of their health insurance, the name of the hotel, specific needs.

If the trip involves visiting several countries or places within the same country, it is possible to make a single declaration for all destinations.

In the same way, it is possible, for the same journey, to declare several people in a single declaration. Thus, for example, in the case of a school trip or an organised trip, only one person will be able to register all the participants.

The declaration made can be cancelled or modified at any time.

Why make such a declaration?

Declaring your stay or permanent residence abroad to the Ministry of Foreign and European Affairs (MAEE) can be useful at several levels:

  • standard consular services provided by diplomatic and consular missions will be easier to carry out (declaration of loss of document and issue of a new document);
  • in the event of a request for consular assistance, the MAEE and the diplomatic and consular representations can react more quickly;
  • in the event of an emergency or crisis situation in the country in which a declared person is staying, the MAEE and the diplomatic and consular representation in that country already have their contact details and will thus be able to contact them in order to provide them with assistance or advice;
  • where applicable, the MAEE can also contact the contact person in Luxembourg who has been designated by the traveller or resident abroad in order to inform them of any problems;
  • in the case of permanent residence abroad, the registered person can also ask to receive information about elections in Luxembourg, etc.

Data protection

The personal data submitted is processed in accordance with the amended law on data protection.

For Luxembourg nationals who have their permanent residence abroad, the data are kept until the declarant states otherwise, or until the Ministry of Foreign and European Affairs or a diplomatic or consular mission becomes aware of a change of residence.

Under the law on data protection, the declarant has several rights regarding their personal data. They have a right to:

  • information;
  • access;
  • rectification;
  • and deletion of their data.

To exercise these rights, the person concerned must contact the Directorate of Consular Affairs and International Cultural Relations of the Ministry of Foreign and European Affairs.

Forms / Online services

Inform the Ministry of Foreign and European Affairs of a stay abroad (Lëtzebuerger am Ausland)

To complete your application, the information about you collected from this form needs to be processed by the public administration concerned.

That information is kept by the administration in question for as long as it is required to achieve the purpose of the processing operation(s).

Your data will be shared with other public administrations that are necessary for the processing of your application. For details on which departments will have access to the data on this form, please contact the public administration you are filing your application with.

Under the terms of Regulation (EU) 2016/679 on the protection of natural persons with regard to the processing of personal data and on the free movement of such data, you have the right to access, rectify or, where applicable, remove any information relating to you. You are also entitled to withdraw your consent at any time.

Additionally, unless the processing of your personal data is compulsory, you may, with legitimate reasons, oppose the processing of such data.

If you wish to exercise these rights and/or obtain a record of the information held about you, please contact the administration in question using the contact details provided on the form. You are also entitled to file a claim with the National Commission for Data Protection (Commission nationale pour la protection des données), headquartered at 15, boulevard du Jazz L-4370 Belvaux.

By submitting your application, you agree that your personal data may be processed as part of the application process.

Déclarer un séjour à l’étranger au ministère des Affaires étrangères et européennes (Lëtzebuerger am Ausland)

Les informations qui vous concernent recueillies sur ce formulaire font l’objet d’un traitement par l’administration concernée afin de mener à bien votre demande.

Ces informations sont conservées pour la durée nécessaire par l’administration à la réalisation de la finalité du traitement

Les destinataires de vos données sont les administrations compétentes dans le cadre du traitement de votre demande. Veuillez-vous adresser à l’administration concernée par votre demande pour connaître les destinataires des données figurant sur ce formulaire. Conformément au règlement (UE) 2016/679 relatif à la protection des personnes physiques à l'égard du traitement des données à caractère personnel et à la libre circulation de ces données, vous bénéficiez d’un droit d’accès, de rectification et le cas échéant d’effacement des informations vous concernant. Vous disposez également du droit de retirer votre consentement à tout moment.

En outre et excepté le cas où le traitement de vos données présente un caractère obligatoire, vous pouvez, pour des motifs légitimes, vous y opposer.

Si vous souhaitez exercer ces droits et/ou obtenir communication de vos informations, veuillez-vous adresser à l’administration concernée suivant les coordonnées indiquées dans le formulaire. Vous avez également la possibilité d’introduire une réclamation auprès de la Commission nationale pour la protection des données ayant son siège à 15, boulevard du Jazz L-4370 Belvaux.

En poursuivant votre démarche, vous acceptez que vos données personnelles soient traitées dans le cadre de votre demande.

Einen Auslandsaufenthalt beim Ministerium für auswärtige und europäische Angelegenheiten registrieren (Lëtzebuerger am Ausland)

Ihre in diesem Formular erfassten personenbezogenen Informationen werden von der zuständigen Verwaltungsbehörde verarbeitet, um Ihren Antrag erfolgreich abzuschließen.

Diese Informationen werden von der Behörde für den zur Verarbeitung erforderlichen Zeitraum gespeichert.

Die Empfänger Ihrer Daten sind die im Rahmen Ihres Antrags zuständigen Verwaltungsbehörden. Um die Empfänger der in diesem Formular erfassten Daten zu erfahren, wenden Sie sich bitte an die für Ihren Antrag zuständige Behörde.

Gemäß der Verordnung (EU) 2016/679 zum Schutz natürlicher Personen bei der Verarbeitung personenbezogener Daten und zum freien Datenverkehr haben Sie das Recht auf Zugang, Berichtigung und gegebenenfalls Löschung Ihrer personenbezogenen Informationen. Sie haben zudem das Recht, Ihre erteilte Einwilligung jederzeit zu widerrufen.

Weiterhin können Sie, außer in Fällen, in denen die Verarbeitung Ihrer Daten verpflichtend ist, Widerspruch einlegen, wenn dieser rechtmäßig begründet ist.

Wenn Sie diese Rechte ausüben und/oder Einsicht in Ihre Informationen nehmen möchten, können Sie sich unter den im Formular angegebenen Kontaktdaten an die zuständige Verwaltungsbehörde wenden. Sie haben außerdem die Möglichkeit, bei der Nationalen Kommission für den Datenschutz Beschwerde einzulegen (Commission nationale pour la protection des données, 15, boulevard du Jazz L-4370 Belvaux).

Wenn Sie Ihren Vorgang fortsetzen, akzeptieren Sie damit, dass Ihre personenbezogenen Daten im Rahmen Ihres Antrags verarbeitet werden.

Who to contact

Double click to activate the map

We are interested in your opinion

How would you rate the content of this page?

Last update