Meeting declaration requirements for cash or equivalent means of payment

When entering Luxembourg, cash, securities or other assets with a value of at least EUR 10,000 must be declared to the Customs and Excise Agency (Administration des douanes et accises) which is responsible for conducting controls in this area in order to combat money laundering and terrorist financing with funds from illicit sources – in particular, the proceeds of illegal drug trafficking.

Who is concerned

These conditions apply to any person carrying cash or equivalent means of payment, whether a resident of Luxembourg or not, regardless of age.

If cash is being carried on behalf of a third party, the person carrying the cash must provide details of the owner of the cash, securities or other assets convertible into cash included in the declaration.

How to proceed

Regulatory framework

Banknotes, cheques, securities or other assets in the amount of EUR 10,000 or more or its equivalent in foreign currency, being carried by a natural person crossing the Luxembourg border, must be declared to the ADA.

The legal objective of this obligation is to combat money laundering and terrorist financing making use of funds from illicit sources – in particular the proceeds of drug trafficking.

For this reason, Luxembourg’s customs and excise agents may carry out checks in this area at any time and in any place throughout the country.

In the event of a failure to declare or a false declaration, the cash or equivalent means of payment are confiscated by the customs and excise agents, who will draw up a statement of charges to be forwarded to the Financial Intelligence Unit (

This obligation complements an EU regulation, which stipulates that any person arriving at the external border control points of the European Union with the intention of entering or leaving and who is carrying:

  • EUR 10,000 or more in cash;
  • an equivalent amount in other currencies or in easily convertible assets (bonds, shares, travellers’ cheques, money orders, etc.)

must declare these funds to the customs authorities.

Items to declare

The following items must be declared:

  • bearer negotiable instruments, including monetary instruments in bearer form such as travellers' cheques;
  • negotiable instruments including cheques, promissory notes and money orders, either in bearer form and endorsed without restriction, made out to a fictitious payee, or otherwise in such form that the ownership of the instruments is transferred upon their disposal;
  • incomplete instruments including cheques, promissory notes and money orders signed, but with the payee's name omitted;
  • currency, bank notes and coins that are in circulation as a medium of exchange;
  • cheques for which the drawer is not the beneficiary;
  • non-domiciled letters of credit;
  • cashier's cheques.

Transfers of gold bullion, gold and silver coins listed on an official market and collector coins that are no longer legal tender are not subject to declaration as provided by the Law of 27 October 2010. However, the export, import or transit of these goods remains subject to customs declaration when they are arriving from or bound for non-EU countries or portions of the customs territory excluded from the fiscal territory for VAT and excise purposes.

Submission of the declaration

This declaration may be made before travelling, by means of a form requested from the Customs and Excise Agency and sent back by:

The form may also be obtained at the offices of the Customs and Excise Agency.

The declaration contains information on:

  • the declaring party, including their surname and first name, date and place of birth, and nationality;
  • the owner of the cash;
  • the intended recipient of the cash;
  • the amount and type of funds;
  • the source of the funds and their intended use;
  • the transport route;
  • the means of transport.

Forms / Online services

Cash declaration form

Cash declaration form

To complete your application, the information about you collected from this form needs to be processed by the public administration concerned.

That information is kept by the administration in question for as long as it is required to achieve the purpose of the processing operation(s).

Your data will be shared with other public administrations that are necessary for the processing of your application. For details on which departments will have access to the data on this form, please contact the public administration you are filing your application with.

Under the terms of Regulation (EU) 2016/679 on the protection of natural persons with regard to the processing of personal data and on the free movement of such data, you have the right to access, rectify or, where applicable, remove any information relating to you. You are also entitled to withdraw your consent at any time.

Additionally, unless the processing of your personal data is compulsory, you may, with legitimate reasons, oppose the processing of such data.

If you wish to exercise these rights and/or obtain a record of the information held about you, please contact the administration in question using the contact details provided on the form. You are also entitled to file a claim with the National Commission for Data Protection (Commission nationale pour la protection des données), headquartered at 15, boulevard du Jazz L-4370 Belvaux.

By submitting your application, you agree that your personal data may be processed as part of the application process.

Formulaire de déclaration d'argent liquide

Formulaire de déclaration d'argent liquide

Les informations qui vous concernent recueillies sur ce formulaire font l’objet d’un traitement par l’administration concernée afin de mener à bien votre demande.

Ces informations sont conservées pour la durée nécessaire par l’administration à la réalisation de la finalité du traitement

Les destinataires de vos données sont les administrations compétentes dans le cadre du traitement de votre demande. Veuillez-vous adresser à l’administration concernée par votre demande pour connaître les destinataires des données figurant sur ce formulaire. Conformément au règlement (UE) 2016/679 relatif à la protection des personnes physiques à l'égard du traitement des données à caractère personnel et à la libre circulation de ces données, vous bénéficiez d’un droit d’accès, de rectification et le cas échéant d’effacement des informations vous concernant. Vous disposez également du droit de retirer votre consentement à tout moment.

En outre et excepté le cas où le traitement de vos données présente un caractère obligatoire, vous pouvez, pour des motifs légitimes, vous y opposer.

Si vous souhaitez exercer ces droits et/ou obtenir communication de vos informations, veuillez-vous adresser à l’administration concernée suivant les coordonnées indiquées dans le formulaire. Vous avez également la possibilité d’introduire une réclamation auprès de la Commission nationale pour la protection des données ayant son siège à 15, boulevard du Jazz L-4370 Belvaux.

En poursuivant votre démarche, vous acceptez que vos données personnelles soient traitées dans le cadre de votre demande.

Anmeldung von Barmitteln

Anmeldung von Barmitteln

Ihre in diesem Formular erfassten personenbezogenen Informationen werden von der zuständigen Verwaltungsbehörde verarbeitet, um Ihren Antrag erfolgreich abzuschließen.

Diese Informationen werden von der Behörde für den zur Verarbeitung erforderlichen Zeitraum gespeichert.

Die Empfänger Ihrer Daten sind die im Rahmen Ihres Antrags zuständigen Verwaltungsbehörden. Um die Empfänger der in diesem Formular erfassten Daten zu erfahren, wenden Sie sich bitte an die für Ihren Antrag zuständige Behörde.

Gemäß der Verordnung (EU) 2016/679 zum Schutz natürlicher Personen bei der Verarbeitung personenbezogener Daten und zum freien Datenverkehr haben Sie das Recht auf Zugang, Berichtigung und gegebenenfalls Löschung Ihrer personenbezogenen Informationen. Sie haben zudem das Recht, Ihre erteilte Einwilligung jederzeit zu widerrufen.

Weiterhin können Sie, außer in Fällen, in denen die Verarbeitung Ihrer Daten verpflichtend ist, Widerspruch einlegen, wenn dieser rechtmäßig begründet ist.

Wenn Sie diese Rechte ausüben und/oder Einsicht in Ihre Informationen nehmen möchten, können Sie sich unter den im Formular angegebenen Kontaktdaten an die zuständige Verwaltungsbehörde wenden. Sie haben außerdem die Möglichkeit, bei der Nationalen Kommission für den Datenschutz Beschwerde einzulegen (Commission nationale pour la protection des données, 15, boulevard du Jazz L-4370 Belvaux).

Wenn Sie Ihren Vorgang fortsetzen, akzeptieren Sie damit, dass Ihre personenbezogenen Daten im Rahmen Ihres Antrags verarbeitet werden.

Who to contact

Double click to activate the map

We are interested in your opinion

How would you rate the content of this page?

Last update