Requesting a road-building permit for billboards or banners

Last updated more than 5 years ago

Advertising signs, billboards or banners announcing a festival or an organisation may not be erected on public land without having first been authorised by the National Roads Administration (Administration des ponts et chaussées) and by the Ministry of Culture.

Who is concerned

This information applies to any association or organiser of an event wishing to place signs on the public highway for advertising purposes

How to proceed

Permit application

Applications for road-building permits should be sent:

If certain signs are expected to be mounted on land belonging to other regional offices, a copy of the direct road-building permit must be sent for informational purposes to the officials of the relevant regional offices.

Number and type of signs

As a general rule, no more than 6 signs may be placed. They may be mounted at most 15 days prior to the event and must be removed no later than 3 days afterwards.

There are two types of signs:

  • rigid boards mounted on supports anchored to the ground;
  • banners suspended above the road.

The messages conveyed must be clear, precise and understandable at a glance. Particular care must be paid to the form and type of lettering, which must be chosen so as to be legible at ordinary vehicle speed.

When the signs belong to the organisers, the organisers may be held liable in the event that their signs cause injury to a third party. With that in mind, it is essential to strictly comply with the conditions set by the authorities and to erect the sign in a sturdy and safe manner. It is, of course, permissible to erect signs on private land if the owner of the land so agrees. It is recommended that the party wishing to erect the sign enter into a written contract setting out the duration, any remuneration and liability with the owner of the land.

Main recommendations

For signs placed along the side of the road, the following recommendations may be given to event organisers:

  • to use pictograms and give signs distinguishable shapes, but avoid using pictograms and shapes that are too similar to those of road signs;
  • to use as few words as possible, limiting the message to naming the event and giving its date and location;
  • depending on the speed limit in the section of road alongside which the sign will be erected, to use the following minimum letter size:
    • 50 km/hour: 90 mm;
    • 70 km/hour: 130 mm;
    • 90 km/hour: 180 mm;
  • not to use handwritten lettering, but to use lowercase print, except for the first letter in uppercase, if necessary.

Main prohibitions

Advertising signs must not be erected in the following locations:

  • on the highway, as well as in the 25-metre no-build zone along both sides of the highway;
  • less than 50 metres from crossroads, pedestrian and cycle crossings;
  • on the central island of a roundabout.

It is prohibited to attach signs to trees lining the roadside or on road equipment, such as traffic sign poles and frames, works of art, or lighting columns; within residential areas, signs may be attached to ordinary galvanised steel street lamps, if done using stainless steel wire or strips of synthetic material, and in such as way that they do not interfere with maintenance of public lighting. Iron wire, even plasticised, must not be used to attach signs.

It is strictly prohibited to use these types of advertising signs to illegally advertise establishments such as bistros, restaurants, night clubs etc., where dances, parties, or other events are held at short intervals, for the main purpose of keeping the name of the establishment almost continuously in the public eye.

Forms / Online services

Demande en obtention d'une permission de voirie pour des panneaux de publicités et / ou calicots pour manifestations

Les informations qui vous concernent recueillies sur ce formulaire font l’objet d’un traitement par l’administration concernée afin de mener à bien votre demande.

Ces informations sont conservées pour la durée nécessaire par l’administration à la réalisation de la finalité du traitement

Les destinataires de vos données sont les administrations compétentes dans le cadre du traitement de votre demande. Veuillez-vous adresser à l’administration concernée par votre demande pour connaître les destinataires des données figurant sur ce formulaire. Conformément au règlement (UE) 2016/679 relatif à la protection des personnes physiques à l'égard du traitement des données à caractère personnel et à la libre circulation de ces données, vous bénéficiez d’un droit d’accès, de rectification et le cas échéant d’effacement des informations vous concernant. Vous disposez également du droit de retirer votre consentement à tout moment.

En outre et excepté le cas où le traitement de vos données présente un caractère obligatoire, vous pouvez, pour des motifs légitimes, vous y opposer.

Si vous souhaitez exercer ces droits et/ou obtenir communication de vos informations, veuillez-vous adresser à l’administration concernée suivant les coordonnées indiquées dans le formulaire. Vous avez également la possibilité d’introduire une réclamation auprès de la Commission nationale pour la protection des données ayant son siège à 15, boulevard du Jazz L-4370 Belvaux.

En poursuivant votre démarche, vous acceptez que vos données personnelles soient traitées dans le cadre de votre demande.

Who to contact

Double click to activate the map
Double click to activate the map

We are interested in your opinion

How would you rate the content of this page?

Last update