Applying for a temporary alteration of traffic routes and/or organising a procession on public roads

Last update 08.06.2022

For various public events – local festivities, street markets, open-air concerts, processions, etc. – it may be necessary, for safety reasons, to close off certain streets, divert traffic and either prohibit or authorise parking for vehicles in specific areas.

Implementing these various measures requires the approval of the communal council, which takes the form of a temporary traffic regulation order.

In addition, if the event involves a procession, prior authorisation must be requested from the Ministry of Mobility and Public Works (Ministère de la Mobilité et des Travaux publics).

Note: sports competitions require special permit applications. For more information, please refer to our explanatory document on organising sporting events on public roads.

Who is concerned

Any association or organiser of an event wishing to alter traffic routes for safety purposes.

Preliminary steps

If the event involves a procession, and if people are not seated passengers in road vehicles, prior authorisation is required.

A procession may be:

  • a cavalcade;
  • collections on the occasion of a 'Buergbrennen' festival;
  • the traditional 'Hämmelsmarsch' procession.

Once completed and signed (electronically using a LuxTrust product or electronic identity card, or by hand), the permit application:

  • must be filed at least 4 weeks before the event with the Ministry of Mobility and Public Works, Department of Mobility and Transport – Road Safety and Traffic Directorate (Département de la mobilité et des transports – Direction de la circulation et sécurité routières);
  • must include the following information:
    • the type, date and location of the event;
    • the registration numbers of the vehicles concerned.

The application must be sent:

Ministère de la Mobilité et des Travaux publics
Département de la mobilité et des transports
Direction de la circulation et sécurité routières
4, place de l'Europe
L-1499 Luxembourg

How to proceed


Permit applications must be sent to the college of aldermen well in advance of the last session of the communal council preceding the event.

This application must state:

  • the dates and times of the event;
  • the streets and sections of road for which an exemption to or alteration of normal traffic regulations is being requested.

Safety regulations

Generally, the organiser must take any and all necessary measures to ensure order is maintained, prevent accidents and maintain safety both for the participants and for the public.

Any conditions associated with the authorisation must be rigorously observed.

Transportation of persons

The transportation of persons on board a road vehicle is authorised only if the persons are seated in the vehicle in appropriate places.

The Highway Code prohibits the transportation of persons:

  • on seats other than those listed on the registration certificate; or
  • on the loading surface or area of a road vehicle.

Nonetheless, the Minister of Transport may grant a one-time authorisation for:

  • towed vehicles intended to be used occasionally to transport persons seated on seats or benches installed on their loading surface, subject to the approval of the National Society of Automotive Traffic (Société nationale de circulation automobile – SNCA);
  • vehicles participating in a procession, provided that these vehicles are covered by a special insurance policy.

Vehicles and trailers used to transport participants must be in compliance with the Highway Code.

Forms / Online services

Demande d’autorisation pour cortège auprès du ministère de la Mobilité et des Travaux publics

Les informations qui vous concernent recueillies sur ce formulaire font l’objet d’un traitement par l’administration concernée afin de mener à bien votre demande.

Ces informations sont conservées pour la durée nécessaire par l’administration à la réalisation de la finalité du traitement

Les destinataires de vos données sont les administrations compétentes dans le cadre du traitement de votre demande. Veuillez-vous adresser à l’administration concernée par votre demande pour connaître les destinataires des données figurant sur ce formulaire. Conformément au règlement (UE) 2016/679 relatif à la protection des personnes physiques à l'égard du traitement des données à caractère personnel et à la libre circulation de ces données, vous bénéficiez d’un droit d’accès, de rectification et le cas échéant d’effacement des informations vous concernant. Vous disposez également du droit de retirer votre consentement à tout moment.

En outre et excepté le cas où le traitement de vos données présente un caractère obligatoire, vous pouvez, pour des motifs légitimes, vous y opposer.

Si vous souhaitez exercer ces droits et/ou obtenir communication de vos informations, veuillez-vous adresser à l’administration concernée suivant les coordonnées indiquées dans le formulaire. Vous avez également la possibilité d’introduire une réclamation auprès de la Commission nationale pour la protection des données ayant son siège à 15, boulevard du Jazz L-4370 Belvaux.

En poursuivant votre démarche, vous acceptez que vos données personnelles soient traitées dans le cadre de votre demande.

Who to contact

Double click to activate the map