Applying for financial aid for special home adaptations for the physically disabled

The aid for special home adaptations for disabled people is a subsidy that may be obtained for the purpose of adapting new or existing constructions for people with one or more motor disabilities.

The subsidy is granted according to income conditions, and may only be awarded once to the beneficiary. The subsidy amounts to 60 % of the cost of works and may not exceed EUR 15,000.

This financial aid may be combined with other housing-related government aid payments.

The subsidy is paid as the special adaptation works progress, upon submitting the corresponding invoices.

The dwelling for which the financial aid is being applied for must meet the legally prescribed safety and health standards, as well as the specific housing needs that are generally admissible in the country.

The aid lapses after one year from the date of completion of the special adaptation works.

Who is concerned

Applications for this subsidy may be filed by any person residing in Luxembourg who:

  • is authorised to legally reside in Luxembourg, is domiciled there and effectively lives there;
  • is personally affected by one or more motor disabilities resulting in a permanent deficiency or impairment preventing them from performing daily tasks, and in particular compromising their own mobility;
  • is the owner or rightful user of the dwelling in which a disabled person is living, provided they have carried out the adaptation works to meet the special needs of the disabled person at their own expense;
  • does not receive long-term care insurance to cover the costs of the work.

When the beneficiary of the aid is a tenant or rightful user of the dwelling, and the landlord has given their consent for the works, even tacitly, the latter may not demand that the dwelling be restored to its original condition, nor demand damages.


If the dwelling in which the adaptation works are to be carried out was built after 10 September 1944, minimum and maximum floor space criteria must be satisfied:

  • single-family residence: between 65 m2 and 140 m2;
  • flat: between 45 m2 and 120 m2.

These floor spaces are increased:

  • by 20 m2 for each dependent child of the applicant starting from the third;
  • by 20 m2 for any 1st degree ascendant of the applicant and any disabled person living in the beneficiary's home, starting from the 5th person residing there, provided this person is not themselves the owner of a dwelling.

To calculate the floor space, basements, attics, garages and common areas in buildings held as co-property should not be taken into account.

Workshops, commercial areas and other outbuildings used for professional purposes are excluded up to a maximum of 20 m2. However, lofts or spaces that could be used as a loft are included, but only on condition that the height of the loft is at least 2 meters and that it has a normal access and a total window surface exceeding 0.375 m2.

In some cases, considering the applicant's social situation, the Minister may waive the condition of minimal useful residential floor space.

How to proceed

Works that may be covered

The following works in particular are eligible for financial aid:

  • creating special access-ways to the dwelling;
  • transformations and adaptations inside the home, facilitating the mobility of the disabled person;
  • enlargement of doors;
  • first-time installation of a special elevator or equivalent type of equipment;
  • first-time installation of special equipment in the kitchen, bathroom and toilets;
  • adaptation of power switches and electrical sockets to meet the needs of the disabled person.

Submitting the application

The application is made using the individual housing aid application form, which should be completed and returned to the Housing Aid Service (Service des aides au logement) before the date the works begin.

The following must be included with the application:

  • for the applicant and any other person living in the dwelling: a copy of the certificate of registration or the permanent residence permit (for nationals of a Member State of the European Union) and/or a copy of the residence permit or permanent residence permit or passport with residence permit (for nationals of a third country);
  • a copy of the notarised property deed for the building, dated and signed by the notary;
  • the wage statements for the 3 years preceding the start of the works;
  • a medical certificate certifying the physical disability;
  • copies of the invoices for the special adaptations works performed.
Each page of the form must be signed separately.

Family status to be considered

The family status that is taken into account is that on the date on which the works are scheduled to begin. The children that are taken into account are those for whom the applicant receives family benefits, or who are beneficiaries of government financial aid for higher education, and who live with the applicant and have been declared as living with the applicant.

Furthermore, the disabled person is taken into account when determining family status, even if the family benefits are not granted for them.

The beneficiary of the aid must also immediately inform the Minister of any change that could affect the granting, maintenance, modification or withdrawal of the aid, failing which they may be required to reimburse the aid retroactively.

Income criteria to be considered

Depending on the applicant's family status, their taxable income may not exceed certain limits.

Single person

EUR 4,000 (index: 100)

Household with 0 dependent children

EUR 4,300 (index: 100)

Household with 1 dependent child

EUR 4,800 (index: 100)

Household with 2 dependent children

EUR 5,000 (index: 100)

Household with 3 dependent children

EUR 5,300 (index: 100)

House with 4 or more dependent children

EUR 5,500 (index: 100)

When the disabled person lives in the household of the owner or user of the dwelling who is applying for the financial aid, the disabled person's income is added to the applicant's taxable income, unless the disabled person is taxed jointly with the applicant.

The income to be considered for calculating the subsidy is the taxable income plus all other income—even if not taxable—of the applicant and any other person living with the applicant in the dwelling in question, with the exception of descendants and ascendants or relatives by marriage of the applicant up to and including the 2nd degree inclusively. However, family benefits, government financial aid for higher education, orphan's pensions, benefits for severely disabled persons, or long-term care insurance benefits are not taken into account when considering income.

If the disabled person is taxed jointly, the income considered also includes any net income from a paid job held by a spouse or partner who is personally enrolled in a pension scheme; this income is reduced by EUR 1,250.

The beneficiary of the aid must also immediately inform the Minister of any change that could affect the granting, maintenance, modification or withdrawal of the aid, failing which they may be required to reimburse the aid retroactively.

Rental of the dwelling

The subsidy must be repaid if the beneficiary rents all or part of the dwelling for which the aid was requested, unless part of the dwelling is rented to a student enrolled in a post-secondary school in the Grand-Duchy of Luxembourg.

Reimbursement of the subsidy

If the beneficiary of the aid is the disabled person, the dwelling for which the aid is granted must be used as the primary and permanent residence of said beneficiary for at least 10 years after the completion of the works. The beneficiary must be living in the dwelling by no later than 3 years after the financial aid is granted, failing which the aid will have to be repaid. If the dwelling is disposed before the end of the 10-year limit, the aid must be repaid, unless the minister has granted an exemption.

If the owner of the dwelling where a disabled person resides is the beneficiary of the aid, the disabled person must live in the dwelling for at least 10 years after the works have been completed. T he disabled person must be living in the dwelling by no later than 3 years after the aid is granted, failing which the aid will have to be repaid.

However, the Minister may partially or totally waive reimbursement of the aid for health, family or financial reasons, or in a case of force majeure.

Forms / Online services

Demande en obtention des aides individuelles au logement

Les informations qui vous concernent recueillies sur ce formulaire font l’objet d’un traitement par l’administration concernée afin de mener à bien votre demande.

Ces informations sont conservées pour la durée nécessaire par l’administration à la réalisation de la finalité du traitement

Les destinataires de vos données sont les administrations compétentes dans le cadre du traitement de votre demande. Veuillez-vous adresser à l’administration concernée par votre demande pour connaître les destinataires des données figurant sur ce formulaire. Conformément au règlement (UE) 2016/679 relatif à la protection des personnes physiques à l'égard du traitement des données à caractère personnel et à la libre circulation de ces données, vous bénéficiez d’un droit d’accès, de rectification et le cas échéant d’effacement des informations vous concernant. Vous disposez également du droit de retirer votre consentement à tout moment.

En outre et excepté le cas où le traitement de vos données présente un caractère obligatoire, vous pouvez, pour des motifs légitimes, vous y opposer.

Si vous souhaitez exercer ces droits et/ou obtenir communication de vos informations, veuillez-vous adresser à l’administration concernée suivant les coordonnées indiquées dans le formulaire. Vous avez également la possibilité d’introduire une réclamation auprès de la Commission nationale pour la protection des données ayant son siège à 1 Avenue du Rock'n'Roll, L-4361 Esch-sur-Alzette.

En poursuivant votre démarche, vous acceptez que vos données personnelles soient traitées dans le cadre de votre demande.

Antrag auf Bewilligung der individuellen Wohnungsbeihilfen

Ihre in diesem Formular erfassten personenbezogenen Informationen werden von der zuständigen Verwaltungsbehörde verarbeitet, um Ihren Antrag erfolgreich abzuschließen.

Diese Informationen werden von der Behörde für den zur Verarbeitung erforderlichen Zeitraum gespeichert.

Die Empfänger Ihrer Daten sind die im Rahmen Ihres Antrags zuständigen Verwaltungsbehörden. Um die Empfänger der in diesem Formular erfassten Daten zu erfahren, wenden Sie sich bitte an die für Ihren Antrag zuständige Behörde.

Gemäß der Verordnung (EU) 2016/679 zum Schutz natürlicher Personen bei der Verarbeitung personenbezogener Daten und zum freien Datenverkehr haben Sie das Recht auf Zugang, Berichtigung und gegebenenfalls Löschung Ihrer personenbezogenen Informationen. Sie haben zudem das Recht, Ihre erteilte Einwilligung jederzeit zu widerrufen.

Weiterhin können Sie, außer in Fällen, in denen die Verarbeitung Ihrer Daten verpflichtend ist, Widerspruch einlegen, wenn dieser rechtmäßig begründet ist.

Wenn Sie diese Rechte ausüben und/oder Einsicht in Ihre Informationen nehmen möchten, können Sie sich unter den im Formular angegebenen Kontaktdaten an die zuständige Verwaltungsbehörde wenden. Sie haben außerdem die Möglichkeit, bei der Nationalen Kommission für den Datenschutz Beschwerde einzulegen (Commission nationale pour la protection des données, 1, Avenue du Rock'n'Roll, L-4361 Esch-sur-Alzette).

Wenn Sie Ihren Vorgang fortsetzen, akzeptieren Sie damit, dass Ihre personenbezogenen Daten im Rahmen Ihres Antrags verarbeitet werden.

Who to contact

Double click to activate the map
Last update