The Ministry of the Environment (Ministère de l’Environnement) provides subsidies to private individuals who invest in projects involving the rational use of energy and renewable energy sources.
This government financial aid scheme—known as 'PRIMe HOUSE'—is especially intended to promote the construction of high energy-efficiency homes, i.e. class A and class B houses. The aid scheme only applies to new constructions of the following types:
- class AAA with a building permit applied for between 01 January 2013 and 31 December 2016;
- class BBB with a building permit applied for between 01 January 2013 and 31 December 2013.
Who is concerned
Financial aid for the construction of a new, high energy-efficiency residence (detached house or house divided into flats) may be applied for by:
- natural persons;
- non-profit associations (association sans but lucratif – asbl);
- non-trading real estate companies (société civile immobilière);
- private and public developers.
Constructions for which financial aid was granted under the 2009 financial aid scheme are not eligible.
If the building permit for a class AAA or BBB house was applied for before 31 December 2016 inclusive, and if all eligibility conditions set by the amended Grand Ducal regulation of 20 April 2009 have been met, the construction in question falls under the 2012 financial aid scheme.
Where relevant, invoices for such constructions may be established until 31 December 2020 inclusive, at the latest. Applications for subsidies may be submitted until 31 December 2022, at the latest.
The following conditions must be fulfilled for an application to be admissible:
- energy performance in conformity with the amended Grand Ducal regulation
of 30 November 2007:
- Class AAA and airtight building envelope (≤ 0.6/h);
- Class BBB and airtight building envelope (≤ 1.0/h);
- controlled mechanical ventilation system with heat recovery (specific conditions for efficiency of the heat recovery system and specific electrical power);
- absence of a fixed active cooling system.
Applications for subsidies must be filed with the Environment Agency within 4 years as of 31 December of the calendar year that the invoices apply to. For houses divided into flats, only one application needs to be filed.
To qualify for financial aid for investments and services for class AAA passive houses:
- the invoice must be issued between 1 January 2013 and 31 December 2020, inclusive;
- the building permit must have been applied for between 1 January 2013 and 31 December 2016.
To qualify for financial aid for investments and services for class BBB low energy houses:
- the invoice must be issued between 1 January 2013 and 31 December 2017, inclusive;
- the building permit must have been applied for between 1 January 2013 and 31 December 2013.
How to proceed
Filing an application
The application for financial aid for the construction of a high energy-efficiency house consists of the following components:
- the application form (DEPA) itself, to identify the applicant and inform the administration of the financial aids being sought;
- one or more specific technical data sheets, depending on the type of installation, must be attached, where applicable:
- detailed invoices, receipted or accompanied by proof of payment, corresponding to the financial aid requested.
Table of subsidies
AAA house (building permit between 01/01/2013 - 31/12/2014)
|AAA house (building permit between 01/01/2015 - 31/12/2016)|
|Detached house||up to 150 m2||45||160||70|
|Flat in a residential building, total floor space less than 1,000 m2||up to 80 m2||40||139||52|
|between 80 m2 and 120 m2||25||87||31|
|Flat in a residential building, total floor space greater than 1,000 m2||up to 80 m2||34||99||44|
|between 80 m2 and 120 m2||21||57||26|
Certain communes offer additional aid on top of the State aid for energy saving and renewable energies. The amount of aid to be received from the commune can be determined by using the myrenovation application.
To install a geothermal heat exchanger, working in combination with a controlled ventilation system with heat recovery, financial aid in the amount of 50 % of the cost of the installation is granted. However, the amount of the aid may not exceed:
- EUR 1,000 for a detached house;
- EUR 1,500 for a residence comprising 2 flats. A EUR 200 supplement is added to this base amount for each additional flat. The total amount of the grant is capped at EUR 4,000 per residence.
For the installation of an outdoor sun protection control system that responds to the intensity and direction of sunrays, a flat-rate financial aid is granted in the amount of:
- EUR 500 for a detached house;
- EUR 250 for a flat in a residential building. The financial aid is capped at EUR 2,500 per residence.
Forms / Online services
Aide pour nouvelle maison AAA / BBB (PRIMe House)
Aide pour nouvelle maison AAA / BBB (PRIMe House)
Consult your ownership rights (plots and private units) in your private eSpace.
Consultez vos droits de propriété (parcelles et lots privatifs) dans votre espace privé.
Sehen Sie Ihre Eigentumsrechte (Parzellen und Sondereigentum) in Ihrem privaten Bereich ein.