Completing part of your studies in Luxembourg as a third-country student with a residence permit issued in another Member State of the European Union

A student may need to study at higher education establishments located in different countries.

If the student already holds a residence permit for students in a different EU Member State, they are permitted to stay in Luxembourg to pursue their studies under certain conditions.

The student may stay in Luxembourg for no more than 360 days, provided they submit to a simple procedure before entering the country.

Who is concerned

Only students with a residence permit for students issued in a first EU Member State may come to Luxembourg to complete part of their studies, providing the stay is part of:

  • a European Union programme or a multilateral programme with mobility measures; or
  • an agreement between 2 or more higher education establishments.
If they do not hold such a permit, they must submit a standard application for authorisation to stay in Luxembourg for the purposes of study.

Similarly, if the student intends to stay in Luxembourg for longer than 360 days, they must file an application for authorisation to stay in Luxembourg for the purposes of study.


Applicants must satisfy the following conditions:

  • they must hold a valid residence permit for students, issued by a first EU Member State, and covering the entire duration of the planned period of mobility;
  • they must be part of an EU programme or multilateral programme with mobility measures, or covered by an agreement between 2 or more higher education establishments;
  • the must stay in Luxembourg to complete part of their studies in a higher education establishment for 360 days at most.

How to proceed

Notification of mobility

The student or higher education establishment in Luxembourg must notify the competent authorities in the first Member State, as well as the Minister for Immigration, of the third-country national's intention to complete part of their studies in a higher education establishment in Luxembourg.

The notification must be submitted as soon as plans are made for the mobility project, and in all cases, before the mobility actually commences.

Supporting documents

The notification must be accompanied by the following documents:

  • a copy of the student's entire valid passport;
  • a copy of the valid residence permit issued by the first Member State, covering the whole period of the planned mobility;
  • proof that the student will be completing part of their studies in Luxembourg under an EU programme or a multinational programme with mobility measures, or an agreement between 2 or more higher education establishments;
  • a document stating the planned duration and dates of the mobility, when they are not mentioned in the document proving that the student will be completing part of their studies in Luxembourg;
  • proof that the student has been enrolled in a higher education establishment in Luxembourg;
  • proof that they have sufficient resources to cover living expenses during their stay, and their return trip. The monthly resources must amount to at least 80 % of the current social inclusion income. The following may be used as proof:
    • a student grant certificate or a student loan certificate mentioning the amount and duration;
    • a bank certificate;
    • an undertaking to provide financial support by a guarantor living in Luxembourg;
  • proof that the third-country national has health insurance.

The documents enclosed must be originals or certified true copies (except for the passport, where a plain copy will suffice). Should the authenticity of a document be in doubt, the Minister of Immigration can request that the document be authenticated by the appropriate local authority and legalised by the Embassy (or that it bear a Hague Convention apostille).

If the documents are not in German, French or English, an official translation by a 'sworn translator' must be attached.

Application processing time

Once the complete application file has been submitted, the Immigration Directorate has 30 days to inform the applicant that it has raised an objection to the mobility.

If an objection is raised within that interval, the student is not authorised to complete part of their studies at the higher education establishment in Luxembourg.

Once the deadline for raising objections has passed, the mobility can commence and the student is authorised to enter Luxembourg.

On application, by email or in person at the offices of the Immigration Directorate, the student is issued with a document certifying that they are authorised to stay in Luxembourg for the duration of their mobility. This certificate facilitates the declaration of arrival which must be filed with the communal administration of the place where they will be living.

After entering the country

Declaration of arrival

Within 3 days of arriving in Luxembourg, the student must file a declaration of arrival with their new commune of residence, along with the following documents:

  • a valid travel document (passport and, where applicable, a visa or a residence permit or authorisation issued by another EU Member State);
  • the original copy of their residence permit issued by the first Member State;
  • proof that they completed the notification procedure (copy of their notification), or the document certifying their right to stay in Luxembourg;
  • valid proof of address (e.g. rental agreement, electricity bill, etc.), where applicable.

The applicant will be given a copy of their declaration of arrival as a receipt.


The higher education establishment, or the student, must inform the Immigration Directorate of any changes that affect the conditions under which the mobility was authorised.


Forms / Online services

Mobility of third country national students in the European Union - Explanatory note

To complete your application, the information about you collected from this form needs to be processed by the public administration concerned.

That information is kept by the administration in question for as long as it is required to achieve the purpose of the processing operation(s).

Your data will be shared with other public administrations that are necessary for the processing of your application. For details on which departments will have access to the data on this form, please contact the public administration you are filing your application with.

Under the terms of Regulation (EU) 2016/679 on the protection of natural persons with regard to the processing of personal data and on the free movement of such data, you have the right to access, rectify or, where applicable, remove any information relating to you. You are also entitled to withdraw your consent at any time.

Additionally, unless the processing of your personal data is compulsory, you may, with legitimate reasons, oppose the processing of such data.

If you wish to exercise these rights and/or obtain a record of the information held about you, please contact the administration in question using the contact details provided on the form. You are also entitled to file a claim with the National Commission for Data Protection (Commission nationale pour la protection des données), headquartered at 15, boulevard du Jazz L-4370 Belvaux.

By submitting your application, you agree that your personal data may be processed as part of the application process.

Mobilité des étudiants ressortissants de pays tiers au sein de l'Union européenne - note explicative

Les informations qui vous concernent recueillies sur ce formulaire font l’objet d’un traitement par l’administration concernée afin de mener à bien votre demande.

Ces informations sont conservées pour la durée nécessaire par l’administration à la réalisation de la finalité du traitement

Les destinataires de vos données sont les administrations compétentes dans le cadre du traitement de votre demande. Veuillez-vous adresser à l’administration concernée par votre demande pour connaître les destinataires des données figurant sur ce formulaire. Conformément au règlement (UE) 2016/679 relatif à la protection des personnes physiques à l'égard du traitement des données à caractère personnel et à la libre circulation de ces données, vous bénéficiez d’un droit d’accès, de rectification et le cas échéant d’effacement des informations vous concernant. Vous disposez également du droit de retirer votre consentement à tout moment.

En outre et excepté le cas où le traitement de vos données présente un caractère obligatoire, vous pouvez, pour des motifs légitimes, vous y opposer.

Si vous souhaitez exercer ces droits et/ou obtenir communication de vos informations, veuillez-vous adresser à l’administration concernée suivant les coordonnées indiquées dans le formulaire. Vous avez également la possibilité d’introduire une réclamation auprès de la Commission nationale pour la protection des données ayant son siège à 15, boulevard du Jazz L-4370 Belvaux.

En poursuivant votre démarche, vous acceptez que vos données personnelles soient traitées dans le cadre de votre demande.

Who to contact

Double click to activate the map

We are interested in your opinion

How would you rate the content of this page?

Last update