Referring a case to the School Mediator

The school mediator deals with cases in connection with:

  • efforts to keep students at risk of dropping out of school within the school system;
  • the inclusion of students with special educational needs in the school system;
  • the integration into the school system of children from immigrant backgrounds who do not have a sufficient command of Luxembourgish, German or French to attend regular education.

Who is concerned

The following persons may refer a case to the school mediator:

  • parents or legal representatives of students under 18 years of age;
  • students aged 18 or over;
  • professionals within the national education system.


The mediator’s role

The school mediator handles complaints relating to situations where:

  • the school does not offer adequate training;
  • the school does not operate in accordance with its purpose;
  • the school or a department of the national education system is violating existing legislation.

The mediator provides students' parents – or students aged 18 or over – with guidance and advice on the best course of action take to resolve the issue.

Preliminary steps

Cases may only be referred to the mediator once a solution has been sought in consultation with the relevant actors within the school community (e.g. the class teacher, regional director, schoolmaster/mistress, head teacher, the student’s main representative, the director of the centre for specialist psychoeducational skills) to no avail.

How to proceed

Filing a claim

Eligible persons can refer their case to the mediator by submitting an individual claim.

Filing such a claim does not affect the individual’s right to refer their case to other bodies or to file an appeal.

When filing their claim, claimants must specify:

  • their surname and first name(s);
  • the student's surname and first name(s) (when they are under 18);
  • the surname and first name(s) of the student’s legal representative (if different from that of the claimant);
  • their own national identification number as well as that of the student (if under 18);
  • their contact details;
  • the student’s IAM identifier;
  • the subject of the claim;
  • any additional information concerning their individual claim, and on the service received at the school mediator’s office.

Upon receiving the claim form, the school mediator will advise the claimant in writing of any follow-up action that will be taken.

If the mediator does not believe the claim to be justified, they must inform the claimant in writing, giving the reasons for their decision.


Where a claim is deemed to be well founded, the mediator will launch an enquiry. Once the enquiry is completed, the mediator may, with a view to reaching a fair and amicable solution:

  • offer guidance and advice to all of the parties concerned (departments, schools, claimants, etc.);
  • propose possible solutions;
  • submit recommendations.

The school mediator requires written authorisation from the parents of a minor student, or from the student aged 18 or over, to request, in writing or orally, that the departments and schools involved provide all information relevant to the enquiry. The director or head of department shall provide the mediator with all files and information relating to the case within the agreed time. Mediators are entitled to view relevant documents even when they are secret or confidential.

The mediator and their officers are bound by professional secrecy. Where persons' names have been disclosed to the mediator, they shall make every effort to ensure that no information that could lead to the identification of those persons is revealed in the documents drawn up by their office or in their communications.


The school mediator’s decision not to pursue a claim may not be appealed before a court.

Forms / Online services

Submit an individual complaint with the School Mediation Service

To complete your application, the information about you collected from this form needs to be processed by the public administration concerned.

That information is kept by the administration in question for as long as it is required to achieve the purpose of the processing operation(s).

Your data will be shared with other public administrations that are necessary for the processing of your application. For details on which departments will have access to the data on this form, please contact the public administration you are filing your application with.

Under the terms of Regulation (EU) 2016/679 on the protection of natural persons with regard to the processing of personal data and on the free movement of such data, you have the right to access, rectify or, where applicable, remove any information relating to you. You are also entitled to withdraw your consent at any time.

Additionally, unless the processing of your personal data is compulsory, you may, with legitimate reasons, oppose the processing of such data.

If you wish to exercise these rights and/or obtain a record of the information held about you, please contact the administration in question using the contact details provided on the form. You are also entitled to file a claim with the National Commission for Data Protection (Commission nationale pour la protection des données), headquartered at 15, boulevard du Jazz L-4370 Belvaux.

By submitting your application, you agree that your personal data may be processed as part of the application process.

Introduction d’une réclamation individuelle auprès du Service de médiation scolaire

Les informations qui vous concernent recueillies sur ce formulaire font l’objet d’un traitement par l’administration concernée afin de mener à bien votre demande.

Ces informations sont conservées pour la durée nécessaire par l’administration à la réalisation de la finalité du traitement

Les destinataires de vos données sont les administrations compétentes dans le cadre du traitement de votre demande. Veuillez-vous adresser à l’administration concernée par votre demande pour connaître les destinataires des données figurant sur ce formulaire. Conformément au règlement (UE) 2016/679 relatif à la protection des personnes physiques à l'égard du traitement des données à caractère personnel et à la libre circulation de ces données, vous bénéficiez d’un droit d’accès, de rectification et le cas échéant d’effacement des informations vous concernant. Vous disposez également du droit de retirer votre consentement à tout moment.

En outre et excepté le cas où le traitement de vos données présente un caractère obligatoire, vous pouvez, pour des motifs légitimes, vous y opposer.

Si vous souhaitez exercer ces droits et/ou obtenir communication de vos informations, veuillez-vous adresser à l’administration concernée suivant les coordonnées indiquées dans le formulaire. Vous avez également la possibilité d’introduire une réclamation auprès de la Commission nationale pour la protection des données ayant son siège à 15, boulevard du Jazz L-4370 Belvaux.

En poursuivant votre démarche, vous acceptez que vos données personnelles soient traitées dans le cadre de votre demande.

Einreichung einer individuellen Beschwerde beim Schulischen Mediationsdienst

Ihre in diesem Formular erfassten personenbezogenen Informationen werden von der zuständigen Verwaltungsbehörde verarbeitet, um Ihren Antrag erfolgreich abzuschließen.

Diese Informationen werden von der Behörde für den zur Verarbeitung erforderlichen Zeitraum gespeichert.

Die Empfänger Ihrer Daten sind die im Rahmen Ihres Antrags zuständigen Verwaltungsbehörden. Um die Empfänger der in diesem Formular erfassten Daten zu erfahren, wenden Sie sich bitte an die für Ihren Antrag zuständige Behörde.

Gemäß der Verordnung (EU) 2016/679 zum Schutz natürlicher Personen bei der Verarbeitung personenbezogener Daten und zum freien Datenverkehr haben Sie das Recht auf Zugang, Berichtigung und gegebenenfalls Löschung Ihrer personenbezogenen Informationen. Sie haben zudem das Recht, Ihre erteilte Einwilligung jederzeit zu widerrufen.

Weiterhin können Sie, außer in Fällen, in denen die Verarbeitung Ihrer Daten verpflichtend ist, Widerspruch einlegen, wenn dieser rechtmäßig begründet ist.

Wenn Sie diese Rechte ausüben und/oder Einsicht in Ihre Informationen nehmen möchten, können Sie sich unter den im Formular angegebenen Kontaktdaten an die zuständige Verwaltungsbehörde wenden. Sie haben außerdem die Möglichkeit, bei der Nationalen Kommission für den Datenschutz Beschwerde einzulegen (Commission nationale pour la protection des données, 15, boulevard du Jazz L-4370 Belvaux).

Wenn Sie Ihren Vorgang fortsetzen, akzeptieren Sie damit, dass Ihre personenbezogenen Daten im Rahmen Ihres Antrags verarbeitet werden.

Who to contact

Double click to activate the map

We are interested in your opinion

How would you rate the content of this page?

Last update