Declaring an incapacity for work as a government employee

Last updated more than 5 years ago

Specific provisions on medical leave (due to illness or accident) apply to government employees (civil servants, employees and labourers).

Who is concerned

The specific provisions apply to all government employees (civil servants, employees and labourers).

How to proceed

Requesting medical leave

Government employees who are unable to work as a result of an accident or illness must immediately inform the person to whom they report and seek medical leave.

Requirement to provide a medical certificate

Medical leave is granted to government employees without production of a medical certificate for a maximum period of 3 consecutive days.

Beyond 3 days, the government employee must produce a medical certificate stating the duration of the incapacity for work, the place of treatment (at home or in the hospital) and, if applicable, the hours of absence authorised by the attending physician. That certificate must be delivered to the head of the department or the department head's delegate no later than 2 days after it is issued.

The medical certificate takes effect on the date of its issuance or, where applicable, the next morning. In no event may the certificate apply retroactively.

Initial medical certificate and extension

The initial certificate issued by the physician and attesting to an incapacity for work must not exceed a duration of 5 days, except where the nature of the insured employee's illness or hospitalisation requires a longer period.

In all other cases, a second doctor's appointment is required if the incapacity for work will be longer than 5 days.

Government employees who have become ill are required to return to work as soon as their health permits, even if their medical leave has not yet expired.

Government employees who are unable to return to work must seek an extension of their medical leave by informing the person to whom they report no later than the day prior to the date on which they are expected to return to work. If the day prior to the planned return to work falls on a Sunday or a public holiday, the extension of the medical leave must be sought immediately on the first day on which the employee was expected to return to work.


Department heads or their delegates may order visits to the government employee's home by a departmental employee or medical examinations by the inspecting doctor whenever they deem it necessary, even if the leave sought does not exceed 3 days.

Government employees on medical leave may not leave their homes or place of treatment except during the hours of absence authorised by the attending physician, except to attend a doctor appointment or for medical or hospital treatment.

Payment and annual leave

Government employees are entitled to continued pay for the entire duration of their sick leave, as long as they are covered by a medical certificate whenever an incapacity for work exceeds 3 consecutive days.

Whatever its duration, days of medical leave are deemed work days giving rise to a right to annual leave.

Sanctions for not obtaining a medical certificate

If a government employee is absent for more than 3 consecutive working days without providing a medical certificate, the absence is deemed unwarranted and sanctions are applied.

In the event of an unauthorised absence, government employees may lose the portion of their pay corresponding to the time that they were absent, though this does not preclude any other disciplinary measures.

Additional penalties are also applicable for government employees who:

  • pretend to be incapable of working or extend their medical leave for health reasons without valid cause;
  • do not return to work as soon as their health permits;
  • leave their home or place of treatment other than during hours that have been authorised by the attending physician or as necessary for doctor appointments or medical or hospital treatment;
  • have failed to present themselves for a check ordered by their head of department or the department head's delegate.

Forms / Online services


Health insurance - My situation

Access your health insurance data

To complete your application, the information about you collected from this form needs to be processed by the public administration concerned.

That information is kept by the administration in question for as long as it is required to achieve the purpose of the processing operation(s).

Your data will be shared with other public administrations that are necessary for the processing of your application. For details on which departments will have access to the data on this form, please contact the public administration you are filing your application with.

Under the terms of Regulation (EU) 2016/679 on the protection of natural persons with regard to the processing of personal data and on the free movement of such data, you have the right to access, rectify or, where applicable, remove any information relating to you. You are also entitled to withdraw your consent at any time.

Additionally, unless the processing of your personal data is compulsory, you may, with legitimate reasons, oppose the processing of such data.

If you wish to exercise these rights and/or obtain a record of the information held about you, please contact the administration in question using the contact details provided on the form. You are also entitled to file a claim with the National Commission for Data Protection (Commission nationale pour la protection des données), headquartered at 15, boulevard du Jazz L-4370 Belvaux.

By submitting your application, you agree that your personal data may be processed as part of the application process.

Caisse de maladie - Ma situation

Consultez votre affiliation à une caisse de maladie

Les informations qui vous concernent recueillies sur ce formulaire font l’objet d’un traitement par l’administration concernée afin de mener à bien votre demande.

Ces informations sont conservées pour la durée nécessaire par l’administration à la réalisation de la finalité du traitement

Les destinataires de vos données sont les administrations compétentes dans le cadre du traitement de votre demande. Veuillez-vous adresser à l’administration concernée par votre demande pour connaître les destinataires des données figurant sur ce formulaire. Conformément au règlement (UE) 2016/679 relatif à la protection des personnes physiques à l'égard du traitement des données à caractère personnel et à la libre circulation de ces données, vous bénéficiez d’un droit d’accès, de rectification et le cas échéant d’effacement des informations vous concernant. Vous disposez également du droit de retirer votre consentement à tout moment.

En outre et excepté le cas où le traitement de vos données présente un caractère obligatoire, vous pouvez, pour des motifs légitimes, vous y opposer.

Si vous souhaitez exercer ces droits et/ou obtenir communication de vos informations, veuillez-vous adresser à l’administration concernée suivant les coordonnées indiquées dans le formulaire. Vous avez également la possibilité d’introduire une réclamation auprès de la Commission nationale pour la protection des données ayant son siège à 15, boulevard du Jazz L-4370 Belvaux.

En poursuivant votre démarche, vous acceptez que vos données personnelles soient traitées dans le cadre de votre demande.

Krankenkasse - Meine Situation

Einsicht in Ihre Krankenkassendaten

Ihre in diesem Formular erfassten personenbezogenen Informationen werden von der zuständigen Verwaltungsbehörde verarbeitet, um Ihren Antrag erfolgreich abzuschließen.

Diese Informationen werden von der Behörde für den zur Verarbeitung erforderlichen Zeitraum gespeichert.

Die Empfänger Ihrer Daten sind die im Rahmen Ihres Antrags zuständigen Verwaltungsbehörden. Um die Empfänger der in diesem Formular erfassten Daten zu erfahren, wenden Sie sich bitte an die für Ihren Antrag zuständige Behörde.

Gemäß der Verordnung (EU) 2016/679 zum Schutz natürlicher Personen bei der Verarbeitung personenbezogener Daten und zum freien Datenverkehr haben Sie das Recht auf Zugang, Berichtigung und gegebenenfalls Löschung Ihrer personenbezogenen Informationen. Sie haben zudem das Recht, Ihre erteilte Einwilligung jederzeit zu widerrufen.

Weiterhin können Sie, außer in Fällen, in denen die Verarbeitung Ihrer Daten verpflichtend ist, Widerspruch einlegen, wenn dieser rechtmäßig begründet ist.

Wenn Sie diese Rechte ausüben und/oder Einsicht in Ihre Informationen nehmen möchten, können Sie sich unter den im Formular angegebenen Kontaktdaten an die zuständige Verwaltungsbehörde wenden. Sie haben außerdem die Möglichkeit, bei der Nationalen Kommission für den Datenschutz Beschwerde einzulegen (Commission nationale pour la protection des données, 15, boulevard du Jazz L-4370 Belvaux).

Wenn Sie Ihren Vorgang fortsetzen, akzeptieren Sie damit, dass Ihre personenbezogenen Daten im Rahmen Ihres Antrags verarbeitet werden.

Who to contact

Double click to activate the map

We are interested in your opinion

How would you rate the content of this page?

Last update