Leave for family reasons in the event of a child's illness

Leave for family reasons in the event of a child's illness may be taken by a parent if there are no other childcare options available.

The amount of leave for family reasons depends on the child's age.

The leave can be extended if the child:

  • has a progressive form of cancer; or
  • needs to be hospitalised for more than 2 weeks; or
  • is placed in quarantine in the broadest sense of the term.

In such circumstances, the leave may be extended by up to 52 weeks. This duration is calculated over a reference period of 104 weeks.

The duration of the leave extension in the event of the closure of schools, crèches and maisons-relais – to limit the spread of an epidemic – will be decided by the Luxembourg government.

The employee must submit a medical certificate to their employer as soon as possible after taking their leave, and within 3 days to the relevant health-insurance fund.

Who is concerned

To qualify for leave for family reasons, the parent must have a child requiring care, and the child must be under the age of 18 and require the presence of a parent. Parents may be:

  • employees (on a fixed-term contract, permanent contract or probationary period);
  • apprentices;
  • self-employed.

If only one parent works and the other stays at home, only the working parent is entitled to leave for family reasons.

If both parents work, both are entitled to leave for family reasons, but cannot take it at the same time.

A child requiring care is defined as one who is ill and requires one of their parents to be physically present to look after them.

The child may be:

  • born in wedlock;
  • born out of wedlock;
  • an adopted child.


Leave for family reasons is granted on presentation of a medical certificate. The person wishing to take leave for family reasons must go to their doctor to obtain the relevant certificate.

How to proceed

Duration of and conditions for granting leave

The amount of leave for family reasons depends on the child's age:

first age bracket Children under the age of 4 12 days of leave per child

second age bracket Children between the age of 4 until the day preceding their 13th birthday 18 days of leave per child

third age bracket Hospitalised children between 13 and 18 years of age 5 days of leave per hospitalised child

In the case of children receiving the special supplementary allowance:

  • the duration of leave is doubled;
  • the requirement for hospitalisation does not apply; and
  • the age limit of 18 does not apply.

The period of leave for family reasons may be extended if the child has an exceptionally serious illness or disability, such as:

  • a progressive form of cancer; or
  • a pathology (illness) requiring hospitalisation for more than 2 consecutive weeks.

The age limit of 18 does not apply to children with a fairly serious disability (different to an exceptionally serious illness or deficiency).

The length of the extension is:

  • determined on a case-by-case basis;
  • limited to a total of 52 weeks over a reference period of 104 weeks.

Leave for family reasons may be split into 2 or more distinct periods – i.e., it does not necessarily have to be taken all at once. Periods of 4 hours or fewer are treated as half-days.

Informing the employer

Employees must, on the day of their absence, irrespective of the length of their child's illness, inform their employer, or their employer's representative, either in person or by proxy. This information can be transmitted verbally or in writing.

They must submit a medical certificate, regardless of the length of their child's illness – even if the child is ill for only one day:

  • to their employer as soon as possible (ideally, the day after notifying their employer);
  • to the National Health Fund (Caisse nationale de santé - CNS) or the competent health-insurance fund, no later than the 3rd day of their absence.

This medical certificate must mention the national identification numbers (matricule – 13-digit social security number) of both the child and the parent and specify:

  • the illness, accident or other pressing health issue affecting the child; and
  • the requirement for the parent to be physically present with the ill child; and
  • the duration of their presence with the ill child.

Leave for family reasons during a trial period

If the onset of the child's illness occurs during the parent's trial period at work, then the trial period must be extended by a length of time equal to the duration of leave taken. Nevertheless, the extension of the trial period may not exceed 1 month.

Protection against dismissal and expiry of the employment contract

The period of leave for family reasons is treated as a period of sick leave on account of illness or an accident. While the employee is on leave, their employer may not dismiss them with notice, or summon them to a pre-dismissal interview.

If the employer decides to dismiss the employee in contravention of this requirement, the employee may demand that they be reinstated or file an appeal for damages and interest for unfair dismissal.

This protection from dismissal applies only during the period of absence covered by the medical certificate.

Protection from dismissal does not apply if:

  • the employee failed to inform their employer on the first day of their absence;
  • the medical certificate was not presented to the employer;
  • the medical certificate was submitted after the employee had received the dismissal letter or the letter summoning them to a pre-dismissal interview;
  • the employee is guilty of serious misconduct.

This protection from dismissal does not negate the termination of a fixed-term employment contract on its planned end date.

Apprentices who are bound to a training provider by an apprenticeship contract enjoy the same protection as do employees on permanent or fixed-term contracts.
In the event of a prolonged period of absence, the apprenticeship contract is suspended for as long as the apprentice is absent, and extended for the same duration.

Any dispute arising between an employer and an employee in connection with an employment or apprenticeship contract while on leave for family reasons is within the jurisdiction of the labour tribunal.

Allowance for leave for family reasons

During the period of leave for family reasons, the employee is entitled to continue receiving their pay.

The Employers’ Mutual Insurance Scheme (Mutualité des employeurs - MDE) will reimburse the employer/self-employed worker for the full amount of the wage costs they incur (gross pay + employers' social-security contributions) during the worker's leave.

The reimbursement will only be made if the leave for family reasons was declared by the worker to the competent health fund using a medical certificate, and by the employer to the Joint Social Security Centre (CCSS).

If the insured person is no longer entitled to continue being paid by their employer (>77 sick days over a period of 18 months), the allowance will be paid directly by the National Health Fund (CNS).

Self-employed workers insured with the Employers' Mutual Insurance Scheme should also declare their leave for family reasons to the competent health fund, and send them the medical certificate, in order to receive the allowance from the Employers' Mutual Insurance Scheme.

The sickness benefit is:

  • calculated based on the gross salary that the employee would have earned had they remained at work;
  • capped at 5 times the social minimum wage. For apprentices, the calculation is based on the apprenticeship allowance.

Forms / Online services

Authentic sources

Health insurance - Leave for family reasons

Consult the balance of days of leave taken for family reasons

To complete your application, the information about you collected from this form needs to be processed by the public administration concerned.

That information is kept by the administration in question for as long as it is required to achieve the purpose of the processing operation(s).

Your data will be shared with other public administrations that are necessary for the processing of your application. For details on which departments will have access to the data on this form, please contact the public administration you are filing your application with.

Under the terms of Regulation (EU) 2016/679 on the protection of natural persons with regard to the processing of personal data and on the free movement of such data, you have the right to access, rectify or, where applicable, remove any information relating to you. You are also entitled to withdraw your consent at any time.

Additionally, unless the processing of your personal data is compulsory, you may, with legitimate reasons, oppose the processing of such data.

If you wish to exercise these rights and/or obtain a record of the information held about you, please contact the administration in question using the contact details provided on the form. You are also entitled to file a claim with the National Commission for Data Protection (Commission nationale pour la protection des données), headquartered at 15, boulevard du Jazz L-4370 Belvaux.

By submitting your application, you agree that your personal data may be processed as part of the application process.

Caisse de maladie- Jours de congés pour raisons familiales

Consultez votre solde de jours de congés pour raisons familiales

Les informations qui vous concernent recueillies sur ce formulaire font l’objet d’un traitement par l’administration concernée afin de mener à bien votre demande.

Ces informations sont conservées pour la durée nécessaire par l’administration à la réalisation de la finalité du traitement

Les destinataires de vos données sont les administrations compétentes dans le cadre du traitement de votre demande. Veuillez-vous adresser à l’administration concernée par votre demande pour connaître les destinataires des données figurant sur ce formulaire. Conformément au règlement (UE) 2016/679 relatif à la protection des personnes physiques à l'égard du traitement des données à caractère personnel et à la libre circulation de ces données, vous bénéficiez d’un droit d’accès, de rectification et le cas échéant d’effacement des informations vous concernant. Vous disposez également du droit de retirer votre consentement à tout moment.

En outre et excepté le cas où le traitement de vos données présente un caractère obligatoire, vous pouvez, pour des motifs légitimes, vous y opposer.

Si vous souhaitez exercer ces droits et/ou obtenir communication de vos informations, veuillez-vous adresser à l’administration concernée suivant les coordonnées indiquées dans le formulaire. Vous avez également la possibilité d’introduire une réclamation auprès de la Commission nationale pour la protection des données ayant son siège à 15, boulevard du Jazz L-4370 Belvaux.

En poursuivant votre démarche, vous acceptez que vos données personnelles soient traitées dans le cadre de votre demande.

Krankenkasse - Urlaubstage aus familiären Gründen

Resttage des Urlaubs aus familiären Gründen

Ihre in diesem Formular erfassten personenbezogenen Informationen werden von der zuständigen Verwaltungsbehörde verarbeitet, um Ihren Antrag erfolgreich abzuschließen.

Diese Informationen werden von der Behörde für den zur Verarbeitung erforderlichen Zeitraum gespeichert.

Die Empfänger Ihrer Daten sind die im Rahmen Ihres Antrags zuständigen Verwaltungsbehörden. Um die Empfänger der in diesem Formular erfassten Daten zu erfahren, wenden Sie sich bitte an die für Ihren Antrag zuständige Behörde.

Gemäß der Verordnung (EU) 2016/679 zum Schutz natürlicher Personen bei der Verarbeitung personenbezogener Daten und zum freien Datenverkehr haben Sie das Recht auf Zugang, Berichtigung und gegebenenfalls Löschung Ihrer personenbezogenen Informationen. Sie haben zudem das Recht, Ihre erteilte Einwilligung jederzeit zu widerrufen.

Weiterhin können Sie, außer in Fällen, in denen die Verarbeitung Ihrer Daten verpflichtend ist, Widerspruch einlegen, wenn dieser rechtmäßig begründet ist.

Wenn Sie diese Rechte ausüben und/oder Einsicht in Ihre Informationen nehmen möchten, können Sie sich unter den im Formular angegebenen Kontaktdaten an die zuständige Verwaltungsbehörde wenden. Sie haben außerdem die Möglichkeit, bei der Nationalen Kommission für den Datenschutz Beschwerde einzulegen (Commission nationale pour la protection des données, 15, boulevard du Jazz L-4370 Belvaux).

Wenn Sie Ihren Vorgang fortsetzen, akzeptieren Sie damit, dass Ihre personenbezogenen Daten im Rahmen Ihres Antrags verarbeitet werden.

Who to contact

Double click to activate the map
Double click to activate the map
Double click to activate the map

We are interested in your opinion

How would you rate the content of this page?

Last update