Foreign authorities will often require a certificate of authenticity attesting the right to drive a vehicle for the exchange, transcription or replacement of a Luxembourgish driving licence.
This official document lists the main data concerning the driving licence such as:
- the driving licence category;
- the validity period;
- the restrictions, if any;
- the number of points remaining on the licence, etc.
Who is concerned
Each person holding a Luxembourgish driving licence and residing in Luxembourg or abroad.
Holders of a Luxembourgish driving licence can request a certificate of authenticity attesting to their right to drive if:
- they no longer live in Luxembourg and have to exchange their driving licence for a new one in their country of residence;
- they no longer live in Luxembourg and have to apply for a new driving licence in their country of residence after the loss or theft of their Luxembourgish driving licence;
- they require the certificate of authenticity in order to carry out their profession (for example: the certificate of authenticity is required in order to apply for a position as a bus driver).
How to proceed
Submitting the application
The certificate can also be applied for by email. Applicants must indicate the following information:
- their surname and first name(s);
- their date of birth;
- their national identification number.
They have to attach a copy of their identity card or of their driving licence.
Receiving the certificate
Applicants will receive the certificate by post to their official address.
Forms / Online services
Who to contact
Department of Mobility and Transport4, Place de l'Europe
Grand-Duché de Luxembourg
Phone : (+352) 247 84 400Fax : (+352) 264 78 948