Foreign authorities will often require a certificate of authenticity attesting the right to drive a vehicle for the exchange, transcription or replacement of a Luxembourgish driving licence.
This official document lists the main data concerning the driving licence such as:
- the driving licence category;
- the validity period;
- the restrictions, if any;
- the number of points remaining on the licence, etc.
Who is concerned
Each person holding a Luxembourgish driving licence and residing in Luxembourg or abroad.
Holders of a Luxembourgish driving licence can request a certificate of authenticity attesting to their right to drive if:
- they no longer live in Luxembourg and have to exchange their driving licence for a new one in their country of residence;
- they no longer live in Luxembourg and have to apply for a new driving licence in their country of residence after the loss or theft of their Luxembourgish driving licence;
- they require the certificate of authenticity in order to carry out their profession (for example: the certificate of authenticity is required in order to apply for a position as a bus driver).
How to proceed
Submitting the application
The application for the certificate of authenticity can be submitted to the Ministry of Sustainable Development and Infrastructure (Ministère du Développement durable et des Infrastructures - MDDI) electronically on MyGuichet.lu.
The certificate can also be applied for by email. Applicants must indicate the following information:
- their surname and first name(s);
- their date of birth;
- their national identification number.
They have to attach a copy of their identity card or of their driving licence.
Receiving the certificate
Applicants will receive the certificate by post to their official address.