The Luxembourg National Library (Bibliothèque nationale du Luxembourg - BnL) holds all publications:
- published in Luxembourg; and
- published abroad and referring to Luxembourg.
The BnL also offers its readers a large non-Luxembourgish collection of paper publications and documents in digital format.
Registration with the BnL allows you to borrow, reserve and order different types of books.
Who is concerned
Anyone can register with Luxembourg's National Library (BnL).
However, loans and remote access to digital resources is reserved for:
- persons who are at least 14 years of age and who reside in Luxembourg or in a neighbouring region;
- students enrolled with a higher-education institution approved by the Luxembourg State.
Other readers can use the BnL's resources for on-site consultation.
The membership at the Luxembourg National Library is free of charge.
In case of loss of a reader's card, a new card can be issued for a fee of EUR 5.
How to proceed
Applications can be made online (via email) or in person at the BnL.
For the application to be valid, the applicant must sign the form, either electronically (electronic form) or manually (paper form).
The online registration request is made via email by filling in the registration form (see section 'Forms / Online services') and sending it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
It is possible to sign the form electronically with a LuxTrust product (SmartCard, Signing Stick, LuxTrust Mobile, Scan, Token).
Applicants receive the following by email:
- their library card number; and
- a link to set their password.
Registration in person
In-person applications for registration must be made on site at the reception desk of the National Library (BnL), at the following address:
Bibliothèque nationale du Luxembourg
37D, Avenue John F. Kennedy
Applicants fill in the registration form and sign it. They then receive:
- a library card number; and
- a password that can be changed later.
Applicants must present a valid identity document (identity card or passport) when registering at the reception desk of the National Library (BnL).
Students who register in person must also provide proof of registration with the institution in question, for the duration of one academic year or the duration of the registration. The proof of registration must contain:
- the student's address (place of residence); or
- their private address abroad if they are not resident in Luxembourg.
Duration of validity
Registration at the BnL is valid:
- for 3 months in the case of forms completed online but not electronically signed (provisional registration); or
- for 2 years in the case of forms signed electronically (online registration) or on paper (registration in person at the BnL reception).
Registration can be extended free of charge:
- via email by filling in the registration renewal form (see section 'Forms / Online services') and sending it to email@example.com; or
- in person at the BnL reception desk.
Please note: it is not mandatory to sign the renewal form but - in order to ensure compliance with the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) - it is necessary to accept the terms of the information notice on the back of the form. This is why both boxes on the form must be ticked in order to renew the registration at the BnL.
Your reader account allows you to consult:
- the list of active loans, and to extend one or more loans;
- the loan history;
- the status of orders and reservations;
- blocks and messages from the library.
Accessing the reader account
Registered readers can access their reader account 24 hours a day from:
- the www.a-z.lu portal; and
- automatic loan terminals available at the BnL reading room.
The "Personal Information" section in the reader account allows readers to:
- change their password;
- update their postal or email address;
- consult the list of libraries with which they are registered and see the expiry date of their registrations;
- set the number of search results to be displayed on www.a-z.lu.
Modification of the reader account password
It is recommended that readers change their password in the event of a loss of the reader card, or simply to secure their account. In order to do so, readers must complete the following steps:
- connect to the www.a-z.lu portal;
- in the top right-hand menu, select "Sign in", then "Library Card Number";
- enter their library card number and password;
- go to the "Personal details" section and click on "Update login credentials".
Good to know
To ensure compliance with the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), the personal data of users is deleted 24 months after their registration expires.
Forms / Online services
for the Bibliothèque nationale du Luxembourg (BnL)
Formulaire de renouvellement d'inscription
à la Bibliothèque nationale du Luxembourg (BnL)
Verlängerung / Erneureung der Einschreibung
für die Bibliothèque nationale du Luxembourg (BnL)
Who to contact
Legal Deposit Service37D, avenue John F. Kennedy