The electoral roll registration certificate proves that the holder satisfies all the requisite conditions to be a voter.
Who is concerned
The electoral roll registration certificate is only issued for persons who actually reside in Luxembourg and who are registered on the electoral lists for the elections corresponding to their situation:
- Luxembourg nationals:
- foreign EU nationals:
- third-country nationals:
The issue of the certificate is subject to the payment of a tax. This chancellery tax must be paid to the communal administration.
How to proceed
Filing an application
The electoral roll registration certification is issued by the population office (Bureau de la population) of the communal administration. Applicants may, depending on the commune, apply:
- in person: at the population office of the communal administration, upon presentation of a valid identity card;
- online: in certain communes, the certificate can be ordered online;
- by post;
- by phone (during the opening hours of the communal administration).
The applicant must provide all of the necessary contact information.
In the case of applications submitted online, by post or telephone, the documents will be sent by post to the address indicated in the application.
The electoral roll registration certificate is issued upon presentation of a valid identity document if the applicant goes to the population office of the communal administration in person.
If the application is submitted by the guardian, curator or legal administrator of the person concerned, the applicant must submit:
- his identity document;
- the authority on which they act (for example: a guardianship or curatorship decision).
Strictly speaking, in order to be accepted by Luxembourg administrations, the certificate needs to be recent (i.e., issued within the past 3 months).
Information stated on the certificate
The certificate includes:
- surname and first names;
- date and place of birth;
- the nationality or nationalities;
- the address where the person is registered in the National Register of Natural Persons (RNPP);
- for non-Luxembourg nationals, information about the electoral lists on which they are registered.