Requesting a marriage certificate

A marriage certificate is a legal record of civil status. It is an authenticated document, issued by the civil registrar, serving as proof of the marital status of the named spouses.

The marriage certificate is always filed in the Luxembourg commune where the civil wedding ceremony took place.

It is prepared in advance by the civil registrar and is then signed by the spouses and the civil registrar during the wedding ceremony.

A copy or an extract of this certificate is often necessary during certain administrative procedures such as:

Who is concerned

Spouses can request a copy of their marriage certificate.


The issue of the certificate is subject to the payment of a tax. This chancellery tax must be paid to the communal administration.

How to proceed

Submitting the application

Only the communal administration that drew up the initial marriage certificate can issue copies of it (i.e. the commune where the couple were married).

Depending on the commune, in order to obtain a copy of the marriage certificate, interested parties have the possibility to submit their application:

  • in person: to the civil registrar’s office, upon presentation of a valid ID card;
  • electronically: by submitting an application online;
  • by mail;
  • by phone (during the opening hours of the communal administration).

In the case of applications submitted online, by post or telephone, the documents will be sent by post to the address indicated in the application.

Information included

The marriage certificate includes all the mandatory information for a civil status certificate (year, date and time of issue; name and first name(s) of the civil registrar; names, first names and domiciles of all named persons), and also the following:

  • each spouse’s name and first name(s), gender, date and place of birth, and current address (city, commune, country);
  • the name and first name(s) of each spouse’s parents, their gender and domicile (including mention of their death, if deceased);
  • if applicable, the name and first name(s) of their previous spouse(s);
  • the consent of the parents, the family council, or the ad hoc guardian, and the approval of the judge in guardianship matters, if required;
  • the announcements published in the various places of domicile;
  • the declaration by the named persons that they accept each other as spouse, and the formal recognition of their union by the government official;
  • marginal entries, where applicable (divorce, legal separation, etc.).

A marginal entry on the marriage will be added to each spouse’s birth certificate.

Forms / Online services

Demander un acte de mariage

Les informations qui vous concernent recueillies sur ce formulaire font l’objet d’un traitement par l’administration concernée afin de mener à bien votre demande.

Ces informations sont conservées pour la durée nécessaire par l’administration à la réalisation de la finalité du traitement

Les destinataires de vos données sont les administrations compétentes dans le cadre du traitement de votre demande. Veuillez-vous adresser à l’administration concernée par votre demande pour connaître les destinataires des données figurant sur ce formulaire. Conformément au règlement (UE) 2016/679 relatif à la protection des personnes physiques à l'égard du traitement des données à caractère personnel et à la libre circulation de ces données, vous bénéficiez d’un droit d’accès, de rectification et le cas échéant d’effacement des informations vous concernant. Vous disposez également du droit de retirer votre consentement à tout moment.

En outre et excepté le cas où le traitement de vos données présente un caractère obligatoire, vous pouvez, pour des motifs légitimes, vous y opposer.

Si vous souhaitez exercer ces droits et/ou obtenir communication de vos informations, veuillez-vous adresser à l’administration concernée suivant les coordonnées indiquées dans le formulaire. Vous avez également la possibilité d’introduire une réclamation auprès de la Commission nationale pour la protection des données ayant son siège à 15, boulevard du Jazz L-4370 Belvaux.

En poursuivant votre démarche, vous acceptez que vos données personnelles soient traitées dans le cadre de votre demande.

Eine Heiratsurkunde beantragen

Ihre in diesem Formular erfassten personenbezogenen Informationen werden von der zuständigen Verwaltungsbehörde verarbeitet, um Ihren Antrag erfolgreich abzuschließen.

Diese Informationen werden von der Behörde für den zur Verarbeitung erforderlichen Zeitraum gespeichert.

Die Empfänger Ihrer Daten sind die im Rahmen Ihres Antrags zuständigen Verwaltungsbehörden. Um die Empfänger der in diesem Formular erfassten Daten zu erfahren, wenden Sie sich bitte an die für Ihren Antrag zuständige Behörde.

Gemäß der Verordnung (EU) 2016/679 zum Schutz natürlicher Personen bei der Verarbeitung personenbezogener Daten und zum freien Datenverkehr haben Sie das Recht auf Zugang, Berichtigung und gegebenenfalls Löschung Ihrer personenbezogenen Informationen. Sie haben zudem das Recht, Ihre erteilte Einwilligung jederzeit zu widerrufen.

Weiterhin können Sie, außer in Fällen, in denen die Verarbeitung Ihrer Daten verpflichtend ist, Widerspruch einlegen, wenn dieser rechtmäßig begründet ist.

Wenn Sie diese Rechte ausüben und/oder Einsicht in Ihre Informationen nehmen möchten, können Sie sich unter den im Formular angegebenen Kontaktdaten an die zuständige Verwaltungsbehörde wenden. Sie haben außerdem die Möglichkeit, bei der Nationalen Kommission für den Datenschutz Beschwerde einzulegen (Commission nationale pour la protection des données, 15, boulevard du Jazz L-4370 Belvaux).

Wenn Sie Ihren Vorgang fortsetzen, akzeptieren Sie damit, dass Ihre personenbezogenen Daten im Rahmen Ihres Antrags verarbeitet werden.

Requesting a marriage certificate

To complete your application, the information about you collected from this form needs to be processed by the public administration concerned.

That information is kept by the administration in question for as long as it is required to achieve the purpose of the processing operation(s).

Your data will be shared with other public administrations that are necessary for the processing of your application. For details on which departments will have access to the data on this form, please contact the public administration you are filing your application with.

Under the terms of Regulation (EU) 2016/679 on the protection of natural persons with regard to the processing of personal data and on the free movement of such data, you have the right to access, rectify or, where applicable, remove any information relating to you. You are also entitled to withdraw your consent at any time.

Additionally, unless the processing of your personal data is compulsory, you may, with legitimate reasons, oppose the processing of such data.

If you wish to exercise these rights and/or obtain a record of the information held about you, please contact the administration in question using the contact details provided on the form. You are also entitled to file a claim with the National Commission for Data Protection (Commission nationale pour la protection des données), headquartered at 15, boulevard du Jazz L-4370 Belvaux.

By submitting your application, you agree that your personal data may be processed as part of the application process.

Who to contact

Double click to activate the map