Last update 27.06.2018
Approval of higher education diplomas obtained abroad is only required to participate in complementary courses on Luxembourg law and to access certain legal professions.
Applications must be sent to the Ministry of Higher Education and Research (ministère de l'Enseignement supérieur et de la Recherche -MESR).
Who is concerned
Approval of law degrees is required to access complementary courses on Luxembourg law.
Lawyers from another EU Member State do not need to have their diplomas approved. They can contact the Ministry of Justice directly to request a permit to carry out their activity in Luxembourg.
The interested party must have obtained a final law diploma abroad which must grant a higher legal education degree recognized by the country of origin.
The final diploma must provide proof of the successful completion of a full-time legal study cycle of a minimum duration of:
- 4 years;
- 8 semesters or;
- 12 terms.
Part-time study cycles are acceptable provided that the total duration, the level and quality of this training are not inferior to full-time training.
The education must be at least on the following subjects:
- civil law;
- commercial law;
- criminal law or criminal procedure;
- private or public international law;
- constitutional or administrative law.
Note that civil law must have been taught at least for:
- 2 years;
- 4 semesters or;
- 6 terms.
Other subjects must have been taught for at least one year, 2 semesters or 3 terms.
The legal courses must have similar fundamental conceptions to those of the Luxembourg legal system.
The concerned party must submit a copy of his secondary school graduation diploma together with his application for approval of the higher legal education degree.
If the secondary school graduation diploma was obtained abroad (A-Level, Abitur, Baccalauréat, Bachillerato, Certificat d’enseignement secondaire supérieur, High School diploma, Maturità, Selectividad, etc.), the applicant must first request the recognition of equivalence of said diploma compared to the Luxembourg secondary school graduation diploma.
Applications for approval of higher education certificates are subject to the payment of a EUR 125 tax per diploma.
The fee must be paid by transfer on the bank account:
IBAN LU13 1111 0011 4679 0000
BIC code: CCPLLULL
Surname of the beneficiary: Administration de l’Enregistrement et des Domaines
Communication: Taxe reconnaissance des diplômes, MESR, Surname of the applicant, Date of the application
A duplicate copy costs EUR 10.
How to proceed
Applications for approval of school certificates and higher education diplomas must be submitted to the Ministry of Higher Education and Research either by mail or in person together with the following documents:
- a written application on paper requesting the approval;
- a curriculum vitae;
- a copy of the birth certificate or of an identity card (for citizens of the EU, EEA and Switzerland) / passport (for third country nationals);
- a copy of the secondary school graduation diploma, i.e.:
- either a Luxembourg secondary or secondary technical school graduation diploma;
- or a foreign secondary graduation diploma recognised as equivalent to the Luxembourg diploma;
- a copy of the higher education diploma to be approved;
- a copy of the intermediate academic diplomas obtained if the foreign country issues them;
- a copy of the official curriculum for each completed academic year;
- proof of payment of the EUR 125 tax per diploma.
The documents must be written either in one of the 3 official languages of the Grand-Duchy of Luxembourg (French, Luxembourgish or German), or in English, or translated and certified in one of these languages by a sworn translator.