Conditions of access to a profession

Update in progress

The access to commercial, craft and industrial activities, as well as certain liberal professions, is subject to obtaining a business permit (commonly known as 'autorisation de commerce').

However, some liberal professions may not be subject to a business permit but they require other authorisations.

The same applies to activities which are subject to specific registration or accreditation.

As to certain activities which are essentially intellectual in nature (other than liberal professions), they do not require any authorisation if they are carried out in the person's own name.

Who is concerned

Any person wishing to set up a business in Luxembourg, either as a self-employed person or by starting a company, must have the authorisations/accreditations which are required to carry out the activity.

Businesses established in another EU Member State or a country treated as such are free to provide occasional and temporary services in Luxembourg.

Skilled craftsmen and manufacturers must nevertheless make a prior declaration.

Businesses established outside the EU must hold a business permit (or a specific authorisation depending on the profession) in Luxembourg.

Preliminary steps

In order to get a foreign higher education diploma recognised in Luxembourg, the diploma must:

In order to have a foreign professional or secondary school graduation diploma recognised in Luxembourg, said diploma must be recognised as equivalent to the corresponding Luxembourg diploma by the Ministry of Education, Children and Youth (Ministère de l'Education nationale, de l'Enfance et de la Jeunesse - MENEJ).

Secondary or higher education and professional diplomas for healthcare professions (nursing auxiliary, nurse, specialist nurse, social assistant, physiotherapist, etc.) or socio-educational professions (specialist teacher, care assistant, etc.) must also be recognised by the MENEJ.

How to proceed

Commercial activities

In order to access one of the below professions, the candidate must obtain a business permit:

  • the profession of trader;
  • professions in the property business;
  • professions of the horeca sector (hotel, restaurant and catering sector);
  • the profession of road haulage operator with vehicles with an authorised weight over 3.5 tonnes;
  • the profession of road passenger transport operator (more than 8 passengers);
  • temporary work agencies;
  • security and surveillance companies;
  • shopping centre and superstore operators.

Manufacturing activities are also subject to a business permit, which is issued by the Minister of the Economy.

Persons who wish to carry out one of these activities as a self-employed worker can seek advice from the House of Entrepreneurship - One-Stop Shop.

Skilled craft activities

In order to carry out one of the following craft activities (non exhaustive list), the professional must hold a business permit.

Craft activities are divided into main trades (list A) and secondary trades (list B):

  • food trades:
    • list A: baker-confectioner, butcher, catering services and delicatessen;
    • list B: ice-cream maker, miller, tripe butcher, etc.;
  • fashion, health and hygiene trades:
    • list A: optician, audioprosthetist, dental technician, orthopedist, hairdresser, beautician, etc.;
    • list B: designer, dry cleaner, shoemaker - shoemender, pedicurist, jeweller, etc.;
  • mechanics trades:
    • list A: mechanical engineer, coachbuilder, driving school operator, automotive expert, etc.;
    • list B: blacksmith, car rental operator, auto body repairer and painter, etc.;
  • construction trades:
    • list A: building contractor, heating installer, carpenter, painter, etc.;
    • list B: landscape gardener, screed layer, fitter-layer, interior decorator;
  • trades in communication, multimedia and performing arts:
    • list A: electronic equipment and alarm system installer, printer, etc.;
    • list B: owner of a graphic design studio, binder, photographer, musical instruments tuner, etc.;
  • miscellaneous craft activities:
    • list A: swimming instructor;
    • list B: skilled craftsmen who work with wood, metal, minerals, fibres or various materials (including florists).

Liberal professions requiring a business permit

In order to access one of the below self-employed professions, the candidate must obtain a business permit:

Persons who wish to carry out one of these activities as a self-employed worker via a commercial company can seek advice from the House of Entrepreneurship - One-Stop Shop.

Liberal professions subject to other permits

In order to carry out some liberal professions that are not subjet to a business permit, the professional must hold other specific authorisations:

    the profession of auditor, supervised by the Luxembourg financial supervisory authority (CSSF) and controlled by the Luxembourg Institute of Registered Auditors;
  • other professions of the financial sector which require an authorisation/accreditation either from the Minister of Justice or from the CSSF;
  • the profession of lawyer which requires an authorisation from the Ministry of Justice;
  • medical professions (physician, dentist, veterinary surgeon, pharmacist) which require a permit from the Ministry of Health;
  • health professions (nursing auxiliairy, nurse, midwife, speech therapist, dietician, laboratory assistant, physiotherapist, etc.) which also require a permit from the Ministry of Health.
NB: lawyers can now associate in the form of a legal person (including as a commercial company).

Activities subject to specific registration and/or authorisation

In order to carry out certain activities, whether they are subject to a business permit or not, the professional must complete certain registrations or hold other specific authorisations:

Intellectual professions not subject to authorisation

Professionals working in their own name (other than a liberal profession) do not require any permit to carry out a services activity which is mainly intellectual in character.


  • self-employed journalists/editors/freelancers;
  • translators and interpreters;
  • ergonomists/web analysts;
  • sophrologists, etc.

They can submit a provisional application in order to verify that the activity is not subject to a business permit.

To carry out one of these professions under the form of a commercial company (société commerciale), professionals must apply for a 'commerce' business permit.

Forms / Online services

Who to contact

Double click to activate the map
Double click to activate the map
Double click to activate the map
Double click to activate the map
Last update