The BusinessMentoring programme was set up by the Chamber of Commerce and consists in an experienced business manager (mentor) supporting a young business manager (mentee) over a period of 12 or 18 months. The programme targets 3 key stages in the life of a business: start-up, growth and transfer.
The programme consists mainly of monthly meetings between the mentor and the mentee and also involves different events such as information sessions for mentors and mentees, breakfast mornings centred around various themes and workshops where mentors and mentees can meet for discussion.
Business mentoring refers to personal, voluntary, unpaid, confidential support provided by an experienced person, the mentor, to a less experienced person, the mentee, in order to assist them in carrying out their project.
Achieving the programme objectives depends directly on the success of the mentor/mentee relationship and on how experiences are shared between the mentor and the mentee.
Who is concerned
The "BusinessMentoring" programme is open to any business manager whose business:
- is set up in the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg;
- has a business permit;
- has significant growth potential;
- is not in financial difficulty (such businesses should instead refer to the VaccinAntiCrise programme).
and is in either:
- the start-up phase (0-3 years);
- the growth phase (over 3 years);
- the transfer phase.
Business managers receiving mentoring must:
- have a business plan;
- write a covering letter explaining their entrepreneurial project over a period of 12 to 24 months and the reasons for which they wish to receive the support of a mentor;
- be prepared to accept critical, constructive feedback from the mentor;
- possess managerial qualities such as inquisitiveness, open-mindedness, etc.
How to proceed
To access the programme, candidate mentees must complete an online application on the secure www.businessmentoring.lu website.
Applicants should state the phase concerning them in the form (start-up, growth or transfer) and fill in the questionnaire in a clear, precise manner.
They undertake to inform the coordinator of any change in the data provided.
Selection of candidates
In the event of an incomplete application, applicants will receive an email asking them to complete their application.
In the event of ineligibility, applicants shall be informed by email. This decision is final and may not be appealed. Applicants may not submit a second application unless it contains new information likely to support their eligibility.
If an application is complete and the applicant is eligible, they will receive an email asking them:
- firstly, to attend an individual interview with the coordinator of the BusinessMentoring programme;
- secondly, to present their application, business and ambitions before a selection committee composed of one or more mentors.
This presentation will last about 30 minutes.
After deliberation, the selection committee shall either accept or reject the applicant mentee. Refusal is final and may not be appealed.
If the application is accepted, the coordinator shall inform the applicant mentee by email as soon as possible and offer them a mentor, bearing in mind their respective wishes.
The applicant mentee shall inform the BusinessMentoring programme coordinator of whether or not they accept the mentor assigned to them as soon as possible.
If they do not accept the assigned mentor, the coordinator may propose another mentor, yet shall retain the right to exclude the applicant mentee from the BusinessMentoring programme.
If an agreement is reached between the candidate mentee and the mentor, they shall arrange a first meeting during which the two parties shall together establish a strategy with the objectives to be reached over 12 to 18 months.
The mentor and mentee must record their arrangements in a mentoring agreement, following a model provided by the coordinator. A copy of this agreement must be provided to the coordinator.
This programme is based on a Quebec business mentoring model and consists of:
- free support provided by a business manager (mentor) to a young manager (mentee) over a period of 12 or 18 months;
- meetings with business managers (mentors) with at least 10 to 15 years of business management experience;
- sharing of the mentor's experience and expertise in order to contribute to the growth of the mentee's business and entrepreneurial spirit;
- monthly meetings between mentors and mentees;
- a strategy and monthly reports drawn up by the mentee;
- different events (information sessions, breakfast mornings centred around a given theme, discussion workshops, etc.).
Reciprocal commitments and an evaluation process provide the framework for the mentoring relationship. Support measures are made available to business managers throughout the duration of the programme.
Forms / Online services
Business Mentoring – application for mentee
Business Mentoring – candidature pour mentoré
Démarche en ligne
Who to contact
Chamber of CommerceBusiness Mentoring ProgrammeHouse of Startups, 9, rue du Laboratoire
Coordinator: Rachel Gaessler
Phone : (+352) 28 81 00 18