Maritime companies or managers who plan to set up in Luxembourg must obtain accreditation from the Minister responsible for maritime affairs before they can commence business operations. Following accreditation, they can register a ship and apply for a seaman's book for their crew members.
Applications for accreditation are processed by the Luxembourg maritime administration (Commissariat aux affaires maritimes - CAM).
Carry out your procedure:
With an online service
- Application for certification
- Application for accreditation as a maritime company
- Application for accreditation as a maritime manager
Accreditation can only be granted to a maritime company or a maritime manager.
Appointing the maritime manager
In order to be appointed as a maritime manager, applicants have to:
- reside in Luxembourg;
- provide proof of professional integrity;
Professional integrity is assessed upon the basis of criminal records and all the elements likely to establish that the person in question has a good reputation and provides the necessary guarantees for proper business conduct.
- provide proof of the required professional experience;
Professional experience is based on the fact that the person has already carried out similar activities with a high level of responsibility and autonomy.
Where the maritime manager is a legal person, the managing bodies of the company must meet the same conditions as natural persons but also need to have the necessary infrastructure in Luxembourg to carry out their business.
A maritime manager can be in the employ of several companies.
Departure of the maritime manager
When the maritime manager leaves his employment, the Minister must be informed and the maritime company must have the accredited person replaced. The Minister can grant a period of maximum of 6 months to the company to have the maritime manager replaced.
Application for accreditation
The request must be submitted via MyGuichet and the applicant must, depending on his case:
- either complete an application for accreditation of a maritime company;
- or complete an application for accreditation of a maritime manager.
Completed applications can be saved in the applicant's eSpace until the application is finalised.
When all the fields are completed, the system generates:
- the form corresponding to the applicant's situation;
- the list of supporting documents (police record, Curriculum Vitae, copy of the company’s articles of association, etc.).
Once the application is finalised and validated, it must be sent to the CAM via MyGuichet's secure electronic transmission system.
Following up on the application
Applicants can follow up on their application in their personal eSpace.