Independent engineer (other than a construction engineer)

This page was last modified on 25-04-2018

In order to operate as an independent engineer, business managers must hold a business permit.

The business permit is granted to the business (either the professional operating under his own name, or the company he runs) if:

  • the business manager meets the legal requirements in terms of qualification and professional integrity;
  • and the business has a fixed physical establishment in Luxembourg (no so-called 'letterbox companies').

Compliance with these provisions is verified by the General Directorate for SMEs and Entrepreneurship at the time the application for a business permit is submitted.

After the business permit has been obtained and depending on the legal business structure chosen, the establishment has to proceed with various registrations/affiliations before it can begin its activity.

Independent engineers who are established abroad (on the territory of the Swiss Confederation or in a country of the European Economic Area) may provide temporary and occasional services in Luxembourg without business permit and without giving prior notification to the General Directorate for SMEs and Entrepreneurship.

However, they must:

  • notify their presence to the Order of Architects and consulting Engineers (Ordre des Architectes et des Ingénieurs Conseils - OAI) in order to register on their list of providers of occasional services in Luxembourg, if they wish to carry out the activity of consulting engineer and if they are specialized in a field close to architecture, engineering, town and country planning or the environment;
  • and comply with all the rules of the profession, in particular ethical requirements, in force in Luxembourg.

Forms / Online services

Carry out your procedure:

Who is concerned

The activities of independent engineers include:

  • designing works in the technical or scientific fields;
  • planning these works;
  • and summarising the different activities needed to implement the works.


In order to justify the qualifications required to become an independent engineer, applicants must have a Master's degree in engineering in the field in question or equivalent (issued by a higher education establishment recognised by the State in which the establishment is located and registered in the register of certificates).

Preliminary steps

If the manager intends to operate an establishment where some of the activities/installations have not yet been authorised, he must apply for an operating permit for classified establishments.

Examples of activities/installations that are subject to authorisation:
  • worksites and development works;
  • garages, covered car parks;
  • office buildings;
  • elevators, service lifts;
  • work processes, establishments or projects that may cause substantial neighbourhood annoyance or specific hazards to the safety and health of employees, etc.
The application procedure for operating permits for classified establishments may take several months.
It is therefore recommended to submit the application at the very beginning of the project.

How to proceed

Business permit application in Luxembourg

Documentary proof of qualification

To provide proof of the professional qualifications as an independent engineer, business managers must enclose the following with their business permit application:

Documents attesting to professional integrity

In order to provide proof of professional integrity, applicants must attach the following to their business permit application:

  • applicants residing in Luxembourg for more than 10 years:
  • applicants who do not reside in Luxembourg or have been residing in the country for less than 10 years:
    • an affidavit (sworn statement);
    • a declaration of non-bankruptcy made before a notary;
    • an extract from the police records or equivalent issued by the State in which the applicant has resided during the 10 years prior to the application.

Other documents to be submitted with the application

The following documents must also be attached to the business permit application:

  • a copy of the manager's identity card;
  • proof of payment of stamp duty (droit de chancellerie), in the form of:
    • either a tax stamp, value EUR 24, purchased at the Indirect Tax Authority (AED) ;
    • or the proof of payment of EUR 24 into the IBAN account LU09 1111 7026 5281 0000, BIC code: CCPLLULL of the Diekirch Revenue Office, with the following communication: 'autorisation de commerce';
  • in the event of an application for a business (legal person), the company's articles of association which have been filed with the Trade and Companies Register.

In the event of an online application for a business permit via MyGuichet (with a Luxtrust card), the system will automatically generate the list of supporting documents to be attached to the application and which may vary depending on the data entered by the applicant.

Managers who run their business as a sole proprietorship can collect their business permit at the Joint Social Security Centre (CCSS).

Managers who run their business as a company (partnership / capital company) will receive their business permit by post.

Insurance and registration with the OAI

Once they have received their business permit, independent engineers must:

  • take out a specific civil liability insurance which covers their activity, as well as their employees' activities;
  • and register with the OAI (see registration procedure) if:
    • they wish to carry out the profession of consulting engineer:
    • and they are specialized in a field close to architecture, engineering, town or country planning and environmental issues.
Occasional service providers established abroad must also:
  • adapt their insurance or take out a specific civil liability insurance covering their activities and those of their employees, if the insurance they have taken out in their country of origin does not cover all legal and contractual liabilities incurred in Luxembourg;
  • and, where applicable, request their registration on the OAI's list of providers of occasional services.

Registrations/affiliations depending on the legal form of the company

After the business manager has received the business permit, he must carry out various administrative procedures which depend on the legal form of business chosen.

Sole proprietorship

In the case of a sole proprietorship, the business manager has to:

Partnerships (SENC, SECS)

In the case of a partnership (SECS, SENC), the managers have to:

Capital companies (SA, SARL, SECA, SE)

In the case of a capital company (SA, SARL, SECA, SE), the business managers must:

Who to contact

Ministry of the Economy

B.P. 535 - L-2937 - Luxembourg
Phone: (+352) 247-74700
Fax: (+352) 247-74701

Opening hours
The telephone helpline is open Monday to Friday, from 13.00 to 17.00 (not on public holidays).
6, boulevard Grande-Duchesse Charlotte
Forum da Vinci
L-1330 - Luxembourg
Phone: (+352) 42 24 06
Fax: (+352) 42 24 07

Opening hours
Monday to Friday from 09.00 - 12.00 and 14.00 - 16.00