Other regulated healthcare professions

This page was last modified on 27-11-2017

Some healthcare professions, called regulated healthcare professions, can only be practiced in Luxembourg with an official licence.

This licence is delivered by the Ministry of Health.

In order to obtain it, applicants must fulfil the criteria for professional integrity and demonstrate the physical and psychological health needed for the profession.

Provisions concerning nurses, midwives, doctors and dentists are not covered by the present text.

Forms / Online services

Carry out your procedure:

Who is concerned

Professions concerned

Several regulated healthcare professions require a licence, including:

Public concerned

Professionals who want to settle and practice in Luxembourg must be nationals of:

  • an EU Member State or;
  • a State of the European Economic Area (Iceland, Liechtenstein or Norway), or Switzerland, or;
  • a third country and:

Persons who are disqualified from practising (temporarily or permanently) in the country in which they most recently practised their profession are not permitted to practise in Luxembourg either. The same applies if disqualification proceedings are pending.


Whatever the health profession envisaged, the professional must fulfill several conditions:

  • hold a Luxembourg or foreign diploma giving him access to the profession envisaged;
  • have the necessary linguistic skills required to practise the profession:
    • either in French;
    • or German;
  • understand one of the 3 administrative languages in Luxembourg (German, French and Luxembourgish).

The language knowledge of the professional in one of these 3 languages ​​may be tested at the request of the Minister of Health.

Preliminary steps

If the diploma has not been awarded in Luxembourg, the professional must request recognition of his diploma.

The application for recognition is to be sent exclusively to the Ministry of National Education, Children and Youth (ministère de l'Education nationale, de l'enfance et de la jeunesse - MENEJ) if the profession concerned is that of:

  • nursing auxiliary / healthcare assistant;
  • masseur.

The application for recognition is to be sent exclusively to the Ministry of Higher Education and Research (ministère de l'Enseignement supérieur et de la Recherche - MESR) if the profession concerned is the one of:

  • social hygiene assistant;
  • social worker;
  • dietician;
  • nursing orderly;
  • laboratory worker;
  • speech therapist;
  • orthoptist;
  • curative teacher;
  • chiropodist;
  • psychomotricity reeducator.

For certain professions, the application for recognition is to be sent to either the MENEJ or the MESR, depending on the level of education attained by the professional. If the studies are baccalaureate (or equivalent) level or less, the application should be sent to the MENEJ. If the studies are university-level (baccalaureate +), the request is to be made to the MESR. The professions concerned are:

  • surgical technical assistant;
  • laboratory medical / technical assistant;
  • radiology medical / technical assistant;
  • occupational therapist;
  • anaesthetist nurse;
  • paediatric nurse;
  • psychiatric nurse;
  • masseur-physiotherapist.


Any person who wishes to settle in Luxembourg as a professional in one of the regulated professions presented here must pay a fee in order to obtain authorization to practice.

Its amount is EUR 75.

The tax is payable by payment or transfer to the account of the Luxembourg Land Registry (Administration de l'enregistrement et des domaines - AED), with indication of the identity and purpose of the payment or transfer.

Account holder: Administration de l'Enregistrement et des Domaines
Account number: IBAN LU13 1111 0011 4679 0000 (Swift Code: CCPLLULL)
Communication : AUTOPROFSANTE + name of the professional

How to proceed

Application for authorization to practice

To practise his profession in Luxembourg, the professional must send his application for authorization to practise the profession, completed and signed, to the Health Professions Department of the Ministry of Health, enclosing the following documents:

  • a copy of a valid identity document or passport and, in the case of a third-country national:
    • a copy of a valid residence permit; or
    • a document proving eligibility for international protection;
  • a criminal record from the country of residence less than 6 months old (original document). If the professional has been living in the country in question for less than one year, he must attach a criminal record of the country or countries in which he has practised before;
  • a certificate of good mental and physical health issued by a doctor (less than 6 months old);
  • a copy of the Luxembourgish or foreign diploma;
  • where applicable, the diploma recognition order;
  • a curriculum vitae;
  • proof of payment of the EUR 75 tax;
  • if the mother tongue is other than French, German or Luxembourgish, proof of linguistic knowledge.

If the documents are not in German, French or English, a translation certified by a 'sworn translator' must be attached.

Professional reinsertion internship

If the healthcare professional has not exercised his profession for at least 5 years, he must take part in a reintegration internship before starting his activity again.

He must inform the Minister of Health of his intention to perform such an internship, indicating:

  • the number of years of cessation of activity;
  • the service and the workplace he wishes to reintegrate;
  • whether or not he participated in continuing education in the field.

The minister will provide the professional with:

  • a list of accredited training sites available;
  • the number of hours of practical training to be attended;
  • a list of available continuing education courses;
  • the number of lesson hours the professional will have to attend.

An internship agreement must then be signed between the trainee, the training supervisor, the training center representative and the Ministry of Health.

The training supervisor must have at least 5 years of professional experience in the same profession as the professional who is following the reinsertion training course.

Particularity for health care assistants: healthcare assistants who graduated before 2002 must undergo a refresher course in addition to the reinsertion course.

Who to contact

Ministry of Health
Villa Louvigny, Allée Marconi
L-2120 - Luxembourg
Phone: (+352) 247 85521
Fax: (+352) 46 79 60