A food business operator who has reason to believe that one of the food products he has imported, transformed, produced or distributed does not meet the requirements in terms of safety of foodstuffs must:
- withdraw from the market the products concerned and report the food safety issue to the organisation for food safety and quality (Organisme pour la sécurité et la qualité de la chaîne alimentaire - OSQCA);
- inform the consumers and recall the products, where needed.
Carry out your procedure:
By downloading a form
- Sécurité alimentaire - notification d'un problème
The natural or legal person in charge for ensuring compliance with the provisions on food law in food businesses is called exploitant du secteur alimentaire (food business operator).
The food business operator must report each issue in the food chain to the OSQCA as well as the measures implemented (withdrawal or recall of the product).
Identification of a food safety issue
An operator who suspects that one of the food products does not meet the requirements in terms of food safety must inform the OSQCA.
In order to find out whether a food product is unsafe and does not comply with the safety provisions in force, the operator can consult the guidance document which lists the elements to be taken into consideration in order to determine whether a product is:
- unsafe, injurious to health, unfit for human consumption;
- or compliant with the food safety legislation.
The operator may also consult a 'decision tree' which can help identify whether a notification is necessary or not.
Withdrawal from the market and notification of a food safety issue
An operator who believes that one of the food products he has imported, transformed, produced or distributed does not meet the requirements in terms of safety of foodstuffs must:
- immediately launch the procedure for withdrawal from the market of the food product concerned;
- and submit a duly completed notification of a food safety issue to the OSQCA by:
- mail: 6, rue du Palais de Justice; L-1841 Luxembourg;
- fax: 247-87 31 58;
- or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Consumer information and recall of products
If the product has been delivered to the consumer, the operator must:
- inform the consumers effectively and provide precise reasons for the withdrawal;
- and recall all the products already delivered to the consumer if all other measures are insufficient to maintain a high level of consumer health protection.