Your questions

I have a dog which I would like to take with me on my travel through Europe. I have heard about a European passport for pets. How does it work?

You can freely travel in Europe with your dog, cat or ferret* as long as you have a European pet passport which is issued by veterinarians.

For identification purposes, the animals must be microchipped or have been tattooed in a clear and legible manner before July 2011 (Ireland, Malta und the United Kingdom only accept the microchip). All pets must be vaccinated against rabies which must be stated in their passport. The vaccination must have taken place after the chipping or tattooing.

You must have your dog undergo a specific deworming treatment if you plan to take it to Finland, Norway, Ireland, Malta or the United Kingdom (this measure does not apply to cats or ferrets). The treatment, administered by a veterinarian, must be stated on the pet passport and have been administered no less than one and no more than 5 days before the entry into the country.

*As far as pets are concerned, there is no harmonised regulation on a Community level which means that only national laws apply.

Useful link:

I am a disabled driver. Will my status as such be recognised when I travel within Europe? I'm thinking of parking spaces reserved for the disabled in particular.

Since 2000, parking card for people with disabilities have been standardised throughout Europe (format and colour) and officially referred to as the "European parking card for people with disabilities". This card, which is issued at the national level, is generally recognised in other European countries, but holders remain subject to local regulations, which may differ from country to country. If you still have the old version of the card or sticker, it is likely that they are valid only in your own country.

Useful links:

Does my Luxembourg student card allow me to benefit from reduced transport fares everywhere in Europe?

It all depends on the flexibility of the transport company. Student cards are not automatically recognised and you may be required to show a local student card. This requirement is in total conformity with the principle of equal treatment which implies that you will be treated, as a European citizen, as a student from the country you are visiting.

There is also an international student card, called ISIC (International Student Identity Card) whose objective is to allow students to keep their student status, whatever their country of origin. The cardholder benefits from price reductions in all areas of the student's daily life and allows to reduce his expenses: culture (museums, theatres, etc.), tourism, accommodation (hotels), leisure, etc. The cardholder is also entitled to discounts on travel expenses (by air, rail or rental cars).

The ISIC card, supported by UNESCO, is used in 120 countries. It is a personal card, with a picture, and available to all students (academic and secondary levels). The minimum age for cardholders is 12 and there is no upper limit. The price for the card in Luxembourg is EUR 13. The card is valid for 16 months (from September to December of the following year).

Useful link:

Can I take my wheelchair or crutches with me on an airplane?

Yes. If your flight is within, to (for European transporters) or from the European Union, you have the possibility to bring up to 2 personal assistance devices in the luggage hold.

Bringing these devices into the cabin is subject to safety regulations and conditioned by the size of the airplane. You can not be refused access to an airplane because of your reduced mobility except for safety reasons or the reduced size of the airplane.

If you need free assistance during all the stages of your trip, such as assistance in the air terminal or in order to enter or leave the airplane, you should make sure that you have duly informed the airline company of your status as "passenger with reduced mobility". The same rules apply to travel by boat.

Useful link:

I've just moved. Do I need to inform the SNCA?

Yes, any citizen who owns a motor vehicle registered in the Grand-Duchy of Luxembourg must contact the National Society of Automotive Traffic (Société nationale de circulation automobile - SNCA) within 1 month of moving, to have the address on their registration certificate updated.

Last update