Your questions

I am pregnant and on antenatal leave. I am at high risk for a premature delivery. When will I have to return to work?

Maternity leave comprises an 8-week period of antenatal leave and a period of postnatal leave which generally lasts 8 weeks. The period of postnatal leave is increased to 12 weeks in the event of a premature delivery (delivery before the end of the 37th week of pregnancy), in the case of multiple births, or if the mother is breastfeeding.

If the delivery takes place before the due date, the unused portion of the antenatal leave is added to the postnatal leave, but the total duration of the maternity leave may not exceed 20 weeks.

For more information, see the maternity leave calculator on the website of the National Health Fund (Caisse Nationale de Santé - CNS).

Useful links:

I plan to present my baby to my family abroad. Does the baby need a travel document in his/her own name?

Yes, even your baby needs to have a personal travel document. Babies require at least their own identity card for travel within the EU and, in principle, a passport for travel outside the EU. Since the institution of the biometric passport, your child can no longer be listed on your passport and therefore requires to have his/her own.

Persons of Luxembourg nationality can chose whether they want a passport (to be applied for at the population's office - bureau de la population) or an identity card (to be applied for at the eID applications service at the Government IT Centre (CTIE) or at the communal administration of their place of residence). Non-Luxembourg nationals need to forward their application to their embassy or consulate in Luxembourg.

Useful links:

Can you send me a family-benefits payment certificate?

In order to obtain a family-benefits payment certificate, please fill in the following online form, where you can order one from the appropriate authority, i.e., the Children's Future Fund (Caisse pour l’avenir des enfants - CAE).

Once you have filled in the online form, remember to click on the "send" button. The payment certificate will be sent to you by post as soon as possible.

Useful links:

I work in Luxembourg but live in France. Am I entitled to parental leave?

Parental leave is a special kind of leave that is granted on the occasion of the birth of a child, or the adoption of a child that is not yet 5 years old.

Like Luxembourg residents, cross-border workers who work in the Grand Duchy may apply for either full-time or part-time parental leave to the extent that they meet the legally required conditionss.

Useful links:

I formed a civil partnership abroad. Is it officially recognised in Luxembourg?

No. If you wish to make your relationship official in Luxembourg, you must apply to have your civil partnership registered in the civil register maintained by the Luxembourgish Public Prosecutor's Office. Once you have registered your civil partnership in this way, it will be considered equivalent to a Luxembourgish partnership. You and your partner will be entitled to the same benefits as partners that have formed their partnership in Luxembourg (e.g., with regard to tax or labour laws).

Useful links:

I will be returning to work soon, but I would like to be able to continue nursing my baby. Does Luxembourg labour law provide for women in my situation?

The Luxembourg Labour Code provides that at your request, you have the right to breastfeeding breaks as follows:

  •   two (2) 45-minute breaks for a full-time worker, to be used at the beginning and end of your normal work day, respectively. If you only have a one-hour break in your work day, or if it is impossible to nurse your baby close to your workplace, the 2 periods may be combined into a single 90-minute breastfeeding break;
  •   one (1) 45-minute break for a half-time worker.

The breastfeeding breaks are counted as work time and are paid as such at your usual salary.

Certain employers ask for a breastfeeding certificate signed by the gynaecologist, to be provided when you return to work, and then a monthly certificate from a physician certifying that the mother is still breastfeeding. In all cases, it is a good idea to inform your employer before your return to work so that the employer can plan accordingly.

Useful links:

Last update