Under the authority of the Public Works Department in the Ministry of Sustainable Development and Infrastructure, the National Roads Administration (Administration des ponts et chaussées) is responsible for civil engineering work on behalf of the State or communes. Its roles include:
- building, maintaining and modernising the highway network;
- managing traffic on the network and monitoring safety in tunnels;
- building, managing and maintaining the national road network and its ancillary structures;
- granting State roadworks permits;
- undertaking projects and overseeing works on the communal road network and its ancillary structures.