An office within the Department of the Environment (Département de l'environnement), the Nature and Forest Agency is responsible for:
- the protection of nature, natural resources, biodiversity and landscapes;
- the protection and sustainable management of forests under the forestry regime;
- the promotion of sustainable forest management in private forests;
- the protection and sustainable management of hunting resources;
- raising public awareness in the areas of nature and forestry;
- oversight and monitoring in the areas of environmental protection, forestry, hunting and fishing.