Prior notice for temporary or mobile work sites

Update in progress

The works owner who plans to set up a work site of a certain size (building or engineering work sites), whether mobile or temporary work site, is required to submit a prior notice to the Inspectorate of Labour and Mines (ITM).

The notice will allow to identify the work site, the main operators but also the number of workers, companies and independent contractors on the premises.

The information on the notice must be regularly updated and posted on the premises of the work site.

Who is concerned

The works owner must task the safety and health officer (in charge of the project) with the obligation to submit a prior notice (avis préalable - AP) to the Inspectorate of Labour and Mines (ITM) in the case of work sites of a certain size.

The works owner is the natural or legal person (private owner, promoter, local authorities, etc.) for whom the work is carried out.

This is not to be confused with the main contractor, who is the natural or legal person (architect or engineer) responsible for the design and/or the direction of the works or a part of the works.


The safety and health coordinator is responsible for submitting the prior notice for work sites to the Inspectorate of Labour and Mines (ITM) every time:

  • the expected duration of the works exceeds 30 work days and the work site employs more than 20 workers at the same time, or;
  • the estimated volume of the works is exceeding 500 man-days.

Preliminary steps

The works owner must, before anything else, apply for a building permit to the commune in which the work site will be set up. The building permit (permis de bâtir) is issued by the mayor of the commune.

The works owner must also appoint 2 coordinators responsible for the health and safety on the work site: one is responsible during the project phase and the other will be responsible during the actual work phase.

Before setting up a work site which requires a prior notice, the works owner must make sure that the safety and health project coordinator has established a general plan for safety and health.


The prior notice has to be submitted to the Inspectorate of Labour and Mines preferably by email at least 10 working days prior to the beginning of the works.

The notice can also be sent by post (3, rue des Primeurs L-2361 Strassen or B.P. 27 in L-2010 Luxembourg).

Or it can be submitted online via the procedure on the platform.

How to proceed

Prior notice

The prior notice must include the following information:

  • date of communication;
  • exact work site address;
  • name(s) and address(es) of the works owner and the main contractor;
  • the nature of the works;
  • name(s) and address(es) of the safety and health coordinators responsible for the project and the work site;
  • planned start date of the works;
  • planned duration of the works;
  • planned maximum number of workers on the work site;
  • planned number of companies and independent contractors on the work site;
  • identification of the companies already selected.


The prior notice must be posted up in a visible manner on the work site, preferably on the outer fences and protected from bad weather by a plastic cover.


Updates of the prior notice must be sent to the Inspectorate of Labour and Mines, without request from the latter and as soon as possible, in the following cases:

  • reduction of the planned duration of work, if the work is carried out simultaneously or with shifts which were not initially planned;
  • increase in the number of workers who are present at the same time on the work site, increase in the number of employers or independent contractors;
  • arrival of new contractors (new companies or subcontractor);
  • change of works owner or main contractor;
  • change of safety and health coordinator.


If no prior notice is sent to the Inspectorate of Labour and Mines, the possible sanctions are imprisonment from 8 days to 6 months and/or a fine of EUR 251 to 25,000.

Forms / Online services

Avis préalable pour les grands chantiers après de l'ITM

To complete your application, the information about you collected from this form needs to be processed by the public administration concerned.

That information is kept by the administration in question for as long as it is required to achieve the purpose of the processing operation(s).

Your data will be shared with other public administrations that are necessary for the processing of your application. For details on which departments will have access to the data on this form, please contact the public administration you are filing your application with.

Under the terms of Regulation (EU) 2016/679 on the protection of natural persons with regard to the processing of personal data and on the free movement of such data, you have the right to access, rectify or, where applicable, remove any information relating to you. You are also entitled to withdraw your consent at any time.

Additionally, unless the processing of your personal data is compulsory, you may, with legitimate reasons, oppose the processing of such data.

If you wish to exercise these rights and/or obtain a record of the information held about you, please contact the administration in question using the contact details provided on the form. You are also entitled to file a claim with the National Commission for Data Protection (Commission nationale pour la protection des données), headquartered at 15, boulevard du Jazz L-4370 Belvaux.

By submitting your application, you agree that your personal data may be processed as part of the application process.

Avis préalable pour les grands chantiers après de l'ITM

Les informations qui vous concernent recueillies sur ce formulaire font l’objet d’un traitement par l’administration concernée afin de mener à bien votre demande.

Ces informations sont conservées pour la durée nécessaire par l’administration à la réalisation de la finalité du traitement

Les destinataires de vos données sont les administrations compétentes dans le cadre du traitement de votre demande. Veuillez-vous adresser à l’administration concernée par votre demande pour connaître les destinataires des données figurant sur ce formulaire. Conformément au règlement (UE) 2016/679 relatif à la protection des personnes physiques à l'égard du traitement des données à caractère personnel et à la libre circulation de ces données, vous bénéficiez d’un droit d’accès, de rectification et le cas échéant d’effacement des informations vous concernant. Vous disposez également du droit de retirer votre consentement à tout moment.

En outre et excepté le cas où le traitement de vos données présente un caractère obligatoire, vous pouvez, pour des motifs légitimes, vous y opposer.

Si vous souhaitez exercer ces droits et/ou obtenir communication de vos informations, veuillez-vous adresser à l’administration concernée suivant les coordonnées indiquées dans le formulaire. Vous avez également la possibilité d’introduire une réclamation auprès de la Commission nationale pour la protection des données ayant son siège à 15, boulevard du Jazz L-4370 Belvaux.

En poursuivant votre démarche, vous acceptez que vos données personnelles soient traitées dans le cadre de votre demande.

Avis préalable pour les grands chantiers après de l'ITM

Ihre in diesem Formular erfassten personenbezogenen Informationen werden von der zuständigen Verwaltungsbehörde verarbeitet, um Ihren Antrag erfolgreich abzuschließen.

Diese Informationen werden von der Behörde für den zur Verarbeitung erforderlichen Zeitraum gespeichert.

Die Empfänger Ihrer Daten sind die im Rahmen Ihres Antrags zuständigen Verwaltungsbehörden. Um die Empfänger der in diesem Formular erfassten Daten zu erfahren, wenden Sie sich bitte an die für Ihren Antrag zuständige Behörde.

Gemäß der Verordnung (EU) 2016/679 zum Schutz natürlicher Personen bei der Verarbeitung personenbezogener Daten und zum freien Datenverkehr haben Sie das Recht auf Zugang, Berichtigung und gegebenenfalls Löschung Ihrer personenbezogenen Informationen. Sie haben zudem das Recht, Ihre erteilte Einwilligung jederzeit zu widerrufen.

Weiterhin können Sie, außer in Fällen, in denen die Verarbeitung Ihrer Daten verpflichtend ist, Widerspruch einlegen, wenn dieser rechtmäßig begründet ist.

Wenn Sie diese Rechte ausüben und/oder Einsicht in Ihre Informationen nehmen möchten, können Sie sich unter den im Formular angegebenen Kontaktdaten an die zuständige Verwaltungsbehörde wenden. Sie haben außerdem die Möglichkeit, bei der Nationalen Kommission für den Datenschutz Beschwerde einzulegen (Commission nationale pour la protection des données, 15, boulevard du Jazz L-4370 Belvaux).

Wenn Sie Ihren Vorgang fortsetzen, akzeptieren Sie damit, dass Ihre personenbezogenen Daten im Rahmen Ihres Antrags verarbeitet werden.

Who to contact

Double click to activate the map

We are interested in your opinion

Please rate this page:
Last update