Any private or privileged use of any part of the public waterway system requires prior authorisation. That authorisation (permit) is issued by the Department of Navigation (Service de navigation). It determines the safety and regulatory conditions which must be respected in the interest of safe navigation and safeguarding the public waterway system.
Who is concerned
The following information applies to any person intending to use one or more element(s) or specific parcel(s) of the public waterway system.
Examples: sporting events, galas, firework displays, training exercises, exhibitions, etc.
A permit for use of the public waterway system is required for any private or privileged use of specific elements or parcels of the public waterway system.
The permit application must be sent to the Department of Navigation no later than 60 days before its intended date of use.
Any application may be rejected if:
- it is lodged beyond the requisite time limit;
- it is incomplete;
- proof of payment of the fee or tax due is not provided.
How to proceed
Filing an application
The permit application is to be sent in triplicate to the Department of Navigation.
The application must state:
- the name, occupation, company name and address or corporate headquarters of the applicant;
- the location, the parcel of territory concerned, and the surface area to be affected;
- the period and duration of use;
- the description or schedule of the activities.
It must be accompanied by a site plan on a 1/1000, 1/2000 or 1/500 scale.
The application or a modification must be sent, with proof of payment of the tax, to the Department of Navigation:
- either by ordinary post, to Department of Navigation, PO Box 8, L-6701 Grevenmacher;
- or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The amount of the tax is determined as follows:
- EUR 50: filing fee, payable when lodging an application for a permit for use of the public waterway system;
- EUR 30: fee to renew, modify or extend an existing permit for use of the public waterway system.
The money must be paid by bank transfer to the following account: IBAN LU76 1111 0007 7596 0000, Indirect Tax Authority, Diekirch office, including the following mandatory information: Department of Navigation, Applicant's name, Permit filing/modification fee, year.
Any temporary private or priority use of the public waterway system is subject to a user charge, calculated per hour and per kilometre of navigable waterway used.
The permit is valid only for the specific event for which the application was submitted.
A one-off fee is payable on filing an application for extension or modification of an existing licence for private or privileged use.
Forms / Online services
Demande en obtention d'une autorisation d'utilisation du domaine public fluvial