This procedure is not applicable to people/craft navigating the waterways for sport or leisure – only to people and craft involved in professional inland navigation.
Anyone navigating the inland waterways must be able to provide proof – in the form of a specific certificate – of the number of navigation hours that they have accumulated, if they wish to:
- obtain a promotion; or
- satisfy the entry conditions for competitions, exams or promotions to obtain:
- operational certificates (boatman, able boatman, helmsman) or command certificates (boatmaster);
- certificates for specific authorisations for boatmasters (large convoys certificate, specific-risk waterways certificate, ‘LNG expert certificate’) and specific operations (carrying LNG and passengers).
Who is concerned
Any person navigating the inland waterways who wishes to obtain a certificate of professional qualification in inland waterway navigation as provided for by Directive (EU) 2017/2397.
The issuance of a certificate of navigation time is subject to a EUR 100 processing fee.
How to proceed
The applicant must submit the certificate of navigation time form (form F120) (see section ‘Forms / Online services’) to the Directorate of Inland Navigation and Logistics (Direction de la navigation fluviale et de la logistique).
The application must be accompanied by the following documents:
- the applicant’s original service record book (for days at sea: the seaman's book);
- copies of the logbook showing the number of voyages taken (for days at sea, a declaration issued by the shipowner);
- the duly filled in spreadsheet (ANX120);
- a copy of the applicant’s identity card;
- proof of payment.
Forms / Online services
To ensure that the Excel 'Tableau de calcul du temps de navigation (ANX120)' (Calculation of navigation time) spreadsheet works properly, please save it on your computer before beginning to fill it in.
Who to contact
Ministry of Mobility and Public WorksDirectorate of Inland Navigation and Logistics4, Place de l'Europe
Postal address :
Phone : (+352) 247 84 400Fax : (+352) 22 85 68