Last update 15.09.2023
The commercial operation of a passenger vessel registered in Luxembourg and operating in Luxembourg is subject to the issue of an operating permit.
You must submit one of the following to the Department of Inland Navigation:
- an application for an operating permit; or
- an application to renew or amend an existing operating permit.
Who is concerned
Owners/operators of passenger vessels registered in the Luxembourg inland navigation register.
The passenger vessel must:
- be registered in the Luxembourg inland navigation register; and
- use the quays on the Luxembourg bank of the Moselle as a docking or mooring place.
The operator of the vessel must hold a Luxembourg business permit.
How to proceed
Filing an application
You must send the application for an operating permit, along with the necessary supporting documents, to the Department of Inland Navigation using the dedicated form (see 'Forms / Online services').
On the application for an operating permit you must state:
- your surname and first names;
- your nationality;
- your home or registered office address.
You must include the following supporting documents with your application:
- a certificate of registration;
- a licence to install and operate a radiotelephone station;
- a business permit;
- proof that you are the vessel's operator;
- proof that the vessel and the docking facilities comply with the applicable technical requirements;
- names and duties of the crew members;
- name(s) of first aid attendant(s) and passenger navigation expert(s);
- characteristics of the vessel to be operated, together with a certified copy of the inspection certificate or EU certificate;
- certificate or certified copy of a valid insurance policy covering:
- all risks incurred by passengers or third parties;
- damage to public or private structures or property; and
- the cost of refloating or towing the wreck away from public waterways;
- a copy of the gauging certificate;
- copies of the Ministry of the Environment's watercourse permit (for new applications only).
The operating permit is valid for 5 years (it may be valid for less than 5 years in specific cases).
Applications for renewal of the operating permit must be sent, along with the necessary supporting documents, to the Department of Inland Navigation using the same form as the one used for the initial application for the operating permit (see 'Forms / Online services').
Forms / Online services
Who to contact
Ministry of Mobility and Public WorksDepartment of Inland Navigation36, rue de Machtum
Postal address :
B.P. 8, L-6701 Grevenmacher
Phone : (+352) 75 00 48-1