Last update 28.01.2019
In order to work as a taxi driver applicants will need a taxi driver licence issued by the Ministry of Mobility and Public Works.
Who is concerned
All taxi drivers must have a taxi driver licence.
The activity of private hire drivers, i.e. the hire of a passenger car with a driver to transport persons against payment or free of charge, is not subject to a taxi driver licence in Luxembourg.
In order to provide proof of the qualifications and integrity required to work as a taxi driver, applicants must:
- have had a valid driving licence for at least 2 years;
- have appropriate knowledge of at least one of the 3 administrative languages in the country (i.e. French, German, Luxembourgish);
- have a criminal record without a disqualifying sentence;
- have the certificate of participation in the information session organised by the Ministry of Mobility and Public Works. This information session must be attended every 10 years.
How to proceed
Participation in the information session
Each person applyiong for a taxi driver licence must have participated in the information session for taxi drivers organised by the Ministry of Mobility and Public Works.
In order to participate in this information session, it is necessary to register for the session one of the following dates:
- 5 February 2019;
- 26 March 2019;
- 7 May 2019;
- 2 July 2019.
Registrations must be submitted in person to the Taxi Office (Service des taxis) at the Ministry of Mobility and Public Works:
4, place de l'Europe
The counter's opening hours are from 8.30 to 12.00, from Monday to Friday.
Please note that for organisational reasons any other form of registration is inadmissible.
Filing an application
Persons who wish to obtain the taxi driver licence must apply to the Taxi Office (Service des taxis) at the Ministry of Mobility and Public Works via MyGuichet.lu or apply by registered letter with acknowledgment of receipt and attach the following documents:
- a copy of the passport, identity document, travel document or any other valid document which allows to identify the applicant;
- a copy of the valid driving licence (valid for at least 2 years);
- a recent extract from the certificate of affiliation of the Joint Social Security Centre (CCSS) covering at least the last 2 years;
- a copy of the certificate attesting the participation to the information session for taxi drivers organised by the Ministry of Mobility and Public Works;
- for European Union nationals (with the exception of applicants of Luxembourg nationality): a copy of the criminal record from the applicant's country of origin, less than 3 months old, in French, German or Luxembourgish;
- for third-country nationals (non-EU members) with a foreign residence permit: a copy of the criminal record, less than 3 months old, from the country that issued the applicant's residence permit;
- a residence certificate, less than 3 months old, issued by the commune with territorial jurisdiction, or a declaration of honor with respect to the place(s) of residence during the last 5 years;
- a recent identity photo (45x35 mm, head taken from the front, white background).